GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Feb 2020, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Turn down Berkeley after deposit

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Turn down Berkeley after deposit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 06:48
Hi,
I have been admitted to Haas after the R2 deadline for other schools I had applied to because before Haas acceptance I had nothing in my hands.
Since Haas' deposit deadline was on March 10 I had to submit my Statement of Intent to Register to the school and pay the deposit.
I received no scholarship offer from Haas, while I recently received a very generous scholarship offer from another great school.

I am thinking to turn down Haas, even if I have already submitted my SIR and paid a 2000$ deposit. Haas is a great school and I am interested in tech, but with the other offer I have I would be able to complete my MBA without any debt, and the other school is not as strong at Haas on tech but it's a strong all around school and has been able to place people in the big tech companies regularly in the past few years.

I would you handle this situation? Do you think I should write to Haas and explain my situation, try to ask if they can give a scholarship (very unlikely since they have an application procedure for that, I applied and they denied)? Do you think it would be a problem to cancel my registration at this point?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Re: Turn down Berkeley after deposit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 08:03
archibald wrote:
Hi,
I have been admitted to Haas after the R2 deadline for other schools I had applied to because before Haas acceptance I had nothing in my hands.
Since Haas' deposit deadline was on March 10 I had to submit my Statement of Intent to Register to the school and pay the deposit.
I received no scholarship offer from Haas, while I recently received a very generous scholarship offer from another great school.

I am thinking to turn down Haas, even if I have already submitted my SIR and paid a 2000$ deposit. Haas is a great school and I am interested in tech, but with the other offer I have I would be able to complete my MBA without any debt, and the other school is not as strong at Haas on tech but it's a strong all around school and has been able to place people in the big tech companies regularly in the past few years.

I would you handle this situation? Do you think I should write to Haas and explain my situation, try to ask if they can give a scholarship (very unlikely since they have an application procedure for that, I applied and they denied)? Do you think it would be a problem to cancel my registration at this point?

Almost 100% sure Haas won't play that game. They are not a private school and thus they won't throw money at you regardless of how badly they want you. All aid is either need-based or because you win won of their essay-based scholarships.

What is the other school? If I had to guess, is it Anderson? If so I was in the same position and I'd be happy to share with you why I, too, chose Haas despite $$$ from Anderson and none from Haas.
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Schools: HBS '13 (A)

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 10:00
throwaway415 wrote:
archibald wrote:
Hi,

Almost 100% sure Haas won't play that game. They are not a private school and thus they won't throw money at you regardless of how badly they want you. All aid is either need-based or because you win won of their essay-based scholarships.

What is the other school? If I had to guess, is it Anderson? If so I was in the same position and I'd be happy to share with you why I, too, chose Haas despite $$$ from Anderson and none from Haas.

Throwaway, are you sure about that? I received a scholarship offer from Haas at the time I was admitted, without submitting any extra essays or anything related to my need for financial aid. Granted this was four years ago, but I know of several other public MBA programs that will throw money at people they want.

Archibald, if the $ considerations are really important there's no harm in mentioning to Haas AdCom that you'd really like to attend there but that you can't overlook the $ issue. The worst they can say is no, in which case you can graciously decline your admit and they'll just keep your deposit.
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 01:45
EBM wrote:
throwaway415 wrote:
archibald wrote:
Hi,

Throwaway, are you sure about that? I received a scholarship offer from Haas at the time I was admitted, without submitting any extra essays or anything related to my need for financial aid. Granted this was four years ago, but I know of several other public MBA programs that will throw money at people they want.

Archibald, if the $ considerations are really important there's no harm in mentioning to Haas AdCom that you'd really like to attend there but that you can't overlook the $ issue. The worst they can say is no, in which case you can graciously decline your admit and they'll just keep your deposit.

Couldn't agree with this more. It can never hurt to try. And if you shower them with love while doing so, it make it more convincing.

Best,
JF
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 08:12
Thank you very much for your answers... one more question: do you think I should mention the name of the other school in the email?
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Schools: HBS '13 (A)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 09:57
archibald wrote:
Thank you very much for your answers... one more question: do you think I should mention the name of the other school in the email?

I wouldn't.
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 10:13
EBM wrote:
archibald wrote:

I wouldn't.

Thank you. Do you think it could lead to any consequence, like them contacting the other school? Or do you just think it's not "polite"?
My reasoning behind the idea of mentioning my other school is that it's another top 15 program, so I wanted to make sure they understood that in my opinion the difference in the offers I got from the two schools is too big. I guess I could try to phrase it "a very reputable school" or something like that though.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 14:33
Say that it is a "peer school." Doesn't sound as obnoxious that way.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Turn down Berkeley after deposit   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2015, 14:33

Turn down Berkeley after deposit

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste