It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 120

Kudos [?]: 569 [9], given: 116

Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2012, 10:24
9
This post received
KUDOS
27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians' recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?

(A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness.
(B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir's manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels.
(C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country's currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
(D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir's on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
(E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies.


Quote:
to me the essence of the given argument is little unclear.
further if someone could also explain why OA is the logical answer, it would be very helpful

_________________

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 569 [9], given: 116

Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 798

Kudos [?]: 861 [10], given: 5

Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2012, 11:00
10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
maybeam wrote:
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians' recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?

(A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness.
(B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir's manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels.
(C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country's currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
(D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir's on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
(E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies.


Quote:
to me the essence of the given argument is little unclear.
further if someone could also explain why OA is the logical answer, it would be very helpful


The argument states that during periods of weak currency (lower value vs other countries), Darfir experience a sharp INCREASE in exports. Politicians are suggesting that the country intentionally weaken the currency so Darfir can experience a similar INCREASE in exports.

The correct answer to this 'weaken' question needs to ATTACK a necessary assumption to the politicians plan.

A-If anything, this answer strengthens the position of the politicians
B-This answer choice (correct) states that manufacturing is already at peak levels. That means that even if the currency become devalued and demand for products increases, Darfir would not be able to increase manufacturing to meet that demand. The conclusion of the politicians is completely weakened (if not destroyed). [Note: the assumption you are attacking here is as follows: Politicians are assuming that Darfir is able to increase production to meet the increase in demand that would result from a devalued currency.]
C-Out of scope answer
D-Out of scope (or perhaps even a little strengthening)
E-Out of scope

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Kudos [?]: 861 [10], given: 5

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2011
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 5 [2], given: 15

Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 15:47
2
This post received
KUDOS
If you are doubtful between B and E. Here is the way out. B and E both weakens the argument. But if see closely , even if E works, we still cannot counter argument. We need to choose an option which harms the plan in some way.


maybeam wrote:
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians' recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?

(A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness.
(B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir's manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels.
(C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country's currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
(D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir's on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
(E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies.


Quote:
to me the essence of the given argument is little unclear.
further if someone could also explain why OA is the logical answer, it would be very helpful

Kudos [?]: 5 [2], given: 15

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 862

Kudos [?]: 1492 [1], given: 543

Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2013, 01:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
I went for C but realised it is too extreme "only if" great explanation for Option B
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1492 [1], given: 543

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 66

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2013, 10:03
maybeam wrote:
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians' recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?

(A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness.
(B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir's manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels.
(C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country's currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
(D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir's on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
(E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies.


Quote:
to me the essence of the given argument is little unclear.
further if someone could also explain why OA is the logical answer, it would be very helpful


Can someone please explain me how E is incorrect?

Isnt it of the form cause and effect.

As per the argument -- weakening of pundra causes Darfir's manufactured exports to rise. In E option its giving another cause for the same effect. So cant it weaken the argument?

Regards,
Veenu

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 14

14 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 832

Kudos [?]: 1646 [14], given: 197

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2013, 10:21
14
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
veenu08 wrote:
maybeam wrote:
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians' recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?

(A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness.
(B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir's manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels.
(C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country's currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
(D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir's on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
(E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies.


Quote:
to me the essence of the given argument is little unclear.
further if someone could also explain why OA is the logical answer, it would be very helpful


Can someone please explain me how E is incorrect?

Isnt it of the form cause and effect.

As per the argument -- weakening of pundra causes Darfir's manufactured exports to rise. In E option its giving another cause for the same effect. So cant it weaken the argument?

Regards,
Veenu


THAT IS NOT A WEAKENER.

see one example:

by drinking milk one can become healthy.

what is conclusion: drink milk will result you in good health.
does this says that drinking milk is the only way to make good health?..answer is NO.

now if you say by eating fruits one can become healthy.==>does this weaken above statement.? NO

only way to weaken is by showing that by drinking milk we are not GOING to achieve good heslth.

now see orginal problem.:
politician say =>decrease pundra==>increase bargain==>increase export

so you cant weaken by saying that
increase production of industries ==>increase bargain==>increase export

compare with above given example.

hope it helps
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1646 [14], given: 197

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 66

Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-27-2013
GPA: 3.04
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2013, 12:33
Hi As you can see in the answer choice E, Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain, but not for sure. So, it's not a weakener.
A weakener should be able to weaken it completely.

--------------------------
Kudos if helps..


maybeam wrote:
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.




Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians' recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?

(A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness.
(B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir's manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels.
(C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country's currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
(D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir's on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
(E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies.


Quote:
to me the essence of the given argument is little unclear.
further if someone could also explain why OA is the logical answer, it would be very helpful

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 66

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2013
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2013, 14:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is B guys.

E would have been a valid option if it was a weaken question.
The question is talking about undermining the politician recommendation.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 944

Kudos [?]: 1092 [2], given: 548

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 07:35
2
This post received
KUDOS
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic’s currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world’s most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir’s manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir’s exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians’ recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?"

A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness - How does it affect the argument? - Out of scope.

B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir’s manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels. - Correct
If the manufacturing sector is at the peak levels and if the currency is allowed to drop compared to the other currencies, the manufacturing sector will not be able to support the extra demand which is generated and the plan will fail.


C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country’s currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
We are not talking about making the economy healthier.

D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir’s on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
- Supports the argument.

E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir’s manufacturing plants would make Darfir’s products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies. - Alternate reasoning to make the Dafir's Product popular but we need to find an option that makes the plan fail.
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1092 [2], given: 548

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2014, 17:26
FOR ANYONE WHO CHOSE C, please consider writing down the objective for every plan in any sort of evaluating/strengthen/weaken a plan question. This will really help when ur brain is exhausted from the quantitative and other bs, trust me being safe and organized is much better than losing 3 or 4 percentage points due to questions like this! :!:

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10225

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2014, 10:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 21

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 178

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 07:52
The answer is B. Because it might be possible to have an alternate route to achieve similar goals, this doesn't discredit the current plan.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 178

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 21

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 178

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 07:52
The answer is B. Because it might be possible to have an alternate route to achieve similar goals, this doesn't discredit the current plan.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 178

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 05:34
Hi,

This kind of question is has a cause effect realtionship: if the country weakens the currency-> exports will increase. I thought that one of the possibilities to weaken this kind of questions is to find an alternative cause that will lead to the same effect.

Hence, I think that answer E (A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir’s manufacturing plants would make Darfir’s products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies) provides an alternitve cause to reach the same effect ("increase exports"). Where I am wrong?

Answer B (After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir’s manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels) streghtens the argument, because if they are doing great now, it is an input that the goverment plan works out?

Thank youu

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 39

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 25

Schools: NUS '20
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 10:43
Hello Kyle

I had one small concern here - Even if the manufacturing is operating at peak levels, it is not necessary that Darfir has no extraneous stock which it cannot export. In going with B, we are kind of assuming that to export, Darfir will have to produce extra which is not necessarily true - For e.g. - It might be the case that they produce for exports but are not able to sell in the market. If the currency is devalued,the exports become relevant.

Am I overthinking here?

Thanks !


KyleWiddison wrote:
maybeam wrote:
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians' recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?

(A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness.
(B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir's manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels.
(C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country's currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
(D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir's on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
(E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies.


Quote:
to me the essence of the given argument is little unclear.
further if someone could also explain why OA is the logical answer, it would be very helpful


The argument states that during periods of weak currency (lower value vs other countries), Darfir experience a sharp INCREASE in exports. Politicians are suggesting that the country intentionally weaken the currency so Darfir can experience a similar INCREASE in exports.

The correct answer to this 'weaken' question needs to ATTACK a necessary assumption to the politicians plan.

A-If anything, this answer strengthens the position of the politicians
B-This answer choice (correct) states that manufacturing is already at peak levels. That means that even if the currency become devalued and demand for products increases, Darfir would not be able to increase manufacturing to meet that demand. The conclusion of the politicians is completely weakened (if not destroyed). [Note: the assumption you are attacking here is as follows: Politicians are assuming that Darfir is able to increase production to meet the increase in demand that would result from a devalued currency.]
C-Out of scope answer
D-Out of scope (or perhaps even a little strengthening)
E-Out of scope

KW

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 25

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2014
Posts: 138

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 616

Schools: Tepper '18
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 01:29
kinjiGC wrote:
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic’s currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world’s most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir’s manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir’s exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians’ recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?"

A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness - How does it affect the argument? - Out of scope.

B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir’s manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels. - Correct
If the manufacturing sector is at the peak levels and if the currency is allowed to drop compared to the other currencies, the manufacturing sector will not be able to support the extra demand which is generated and the plan will fail.


C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country’s currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
We are not talking about making the economy healthier.

D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir’s on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
- Supports the argument.

E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir’s manufacturing plants would make Darfir’s products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies. - Alternate reasoning to make the Dafir's Product popular but we need to find an option that makes the plan fail.


Honestly, a question which only makes sense after reading the explanation. I wonder if I can ever master CR.!!!

Is there a strategy to approach weaken the argument questions?
Thanks

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 616

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 798

Kudos [?]: 861 [0], given: 5

Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 04:41
Weaken the argument questions rely heavily on your ability to understand the assumptions made in the argument because the answer essentially attacks an assumption. How are you at assumption questions?
KW

Posted from my mobile device
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Kudos [?]: 861 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Posts: 59

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 13

Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 09:48
rsaahil90 wrote:
Hello Kyle

I had one small concern here - Even if the manufacturing is operating at peak levels, it is not necessary that Darfir has no extraneous stock which it cannot export. In going with B, we are kind of assuming that to export, Darfir will have to produce extra which is not necessarily true - For e.g. - It might be the case that they produce for exports but are not able to sell in the market. If the currency is devalued,the exports become relevant.

Am I overthinking here?

Thanks !


KyleWiddison wrote:
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians' recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?

(A) Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness.
(B) After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir's manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels.
(C) The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country's currency is strong or the rise in exports is significant.
(D) Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir's on the world market all currently have stable currencies.
(E) A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies.


Quote:
to me the essence of the given argument is little unclear.
further if someone could also explain why OA is the logical answer, it would be very helpful


The argument states that during periods of weak currency (lower value vs other countries), Darfir experience a sharp INCREASE in exports. Politicians are suggesting that the country intentionally weaken the currency so Darfir can experience a similar INCREASE in exports.

The correct answer to this 'weaken' question needs to ATTACK a necessary assumption to the politicians plan.

A-If anything, this answer strengthens the position of the politicians
B-This answer choice (correct) states that manufacturing is already at peak levels. That means that even if the currency become devalued and demand for products increases, Darfir would not be able to increase manufacturing to meet that demand. The conclusion of the politicians is completely weakened (if not destroyed). [Note: the assumption you are attacking here is as follows: Politicians are assuming that Darfir is able to increase production to meet the increase in demand that would result from a devalued currency.]
C-Out of scope answer
D-Out of scope (or perhaps even a little strengthening)
E-Out of scope

KW



Hi KyleWiddison,

I have the same question. Why do we have to assume that to satisfy the demand for exports we need to manufacture more ?
I realised that supply might still be more as compared to the demand and thus eliminated this answer choice.
Where did I go wrong here ?
_________________

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if you like my post :)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 40

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 102

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 18:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
From egmat -
Let’s suppose the argument says that

Eating sugar leads to obesity.

Can we weaken this statement by saying that

Eating oil leads to obesity.
The answer is No.


Why? Because the author is not saying that only eating sugar leads to obesity. The author is only saying that eating sugar is one of the ways to get obese. Even from common understanding, we all know that both of these things i.e. eating sugar and eating oil lead to obesity. The fact that eating oil makes you obese has no impact on the likelihood of the fact that eating sugar leads to obesity. In other words, saying that there are multiple ways to achieve the same objective does not weaken the conclusion which only states one of the ways to reach the objective.

Now the modified Version -
Eating sugar made Jon obese.

Can we weaken my statement by saying that -


Eating oil made Jon obese.


The answer here is Yes. In this argument, we are essentially talking about a specific case i.e. what made Jon obese. Here, it is given knowledge that Jon is obese, what the argument or the conclusion provides is a reason that made Jon obese.


A great explanation by using the same question as an example -
I found it really helpful.

https://e-gmat.com/blog/gmat-verbal/cri ... e-weakener

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 102

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Apr 2017
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 323

Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 07:45
Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency,
the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a
weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up
substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in
exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Which of the following, if true, provides the government with the strongest grounds to doubt that the politicians'
recommendation, if followed, will achieve its aim?


A. Several of the politicians now recommending that the pundra be allowed to become weak made that same
recommendation before each of the last two periods of currency weakness.
B. After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir's manufacturing sector is now operating at
near-peak levels.
C. The economy of a country experiencing a rise in exports will become healthier only if the country's currency is
strong or the rise in exports is significant.
D. Those countries whose manufactured products compete with Darfir's on the world market all currently have
stable currencies.
E. A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir's manufacturing plants would make Darfir's products a bargain
on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 323

Re: Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2017, 07:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 47 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Twelve years ago and again five years ago, there were extended periods

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.