It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two containers contain milk and water solutions of volume x liters and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: IIM Udaipur '17
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Two containers contain milk and water solutions of volume x liters and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 06:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:39) correct 43% (02:03) wrong based on 40 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two containers contain milk and water solutions of volume x liters and y liters, respectively. What would be the minimum concentration of milk in either container so that when the entire contents of both containers are mixed, 30 liters of 80 percent milk solution is obtained?

(1) x = 2y
(2) x = y +10
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you like my post, motivate me by giving kudos...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Two containers contain milk and water solutions of volume x liters and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
My understanding is that we are being asked what is the minimum concentration of milk in either X or Y in order to achieve a 30-liters mixture of 80% milk and 20% water when both X and Y are combined.

Elaborating the question stem, we get:
30liters -> 24 milk, 6 water.

By doing some quick math with X+Y=30 and the two answer options, we easily find out that they basically tell us the same thing, i.e. X=20, Y=10. We can therefore boil down our answers to either D) or E).

We now need to find the scenario in which the milk concentration in either X or Y is lowest. Since our "target" milk amount is 24, every percentage point of concentration in X yields a higher amount of milk, therefore we can assume that X has a 100% concentration of milk, leaving us with 20 liters of milk out of the 24 we need. Finally, we proceed to fill in the remaining 4 liters with Y, with a concentration of 4/10=40%.

Answer D)
Two containers contain milk and water solutions of volume x liters and   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2017, 07:03

Two containers contain milk and water solutions of volume x liters and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap