It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no prime fact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no prime fact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 02:17
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (00:55) correct 21% (00:34) wrong based on 76 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no prime factors in common. For example, 8 and 27 are relatively prime because 8 = 2^3 and 27=3^3. If m and n are relatively prime and pn is divisible by m for some integer p, which of the following must also be true?

A. m is a multiple of n
B. m is a multiple of p
C. n is a multiple of p
D. p is a multiple of m
E. p is a multiple of n
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

PS Forum Moderator
P
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no prime fact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 02:20
Bunuel wrote:
Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no prime factors in common. For example, 8 and 27 are relatively prime because 8 = 2^3 and 27=3^3. If m and n are relatively prime and pn is divisible by m for some integer p, which of the following must also be true?

A. m is a multiple of n
B. m is a multiple of p
C. n is a multiple of p
D. p is a multiple of m
E. p is a multiple of n

it is given that \(m\) & \(n\) are co-prime so \(n\) is not divisible by \(m\)

also \(pn\) is divisible by \(m\)

\(=> \frac{p*n}{m}= integer\), which means that \(p\) has to be a multiple of \(m\) because \(n\) is not divisible by \(m\)

Option D
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no prime fact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 07:33
niks18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. m is a multiple of n
B. m is a multiple of p
C. n is a multiple of p
D. p is a multiple of m
E. p is a multiple of n

\(=> \frac{p*n}{m}= integer\), which means that \(p\) has to be a multiple of \(m\) because \(n\) is not divisible by \(m\)

Option D

Hi niks18

i did so:

let m= 3 and n =2

p is some number (any number i choose) so let p= 6

now n*p ---> 2*6 =12

12 is divisible by 3 - is it correct so far? :)

so after this i chose C

what did i do wrong ?

PS Forum Moderator
P
Re: Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no prime fact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 08:17
dave13 wrote:
niks18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. m is a multiple of n
B. m is a multiple of p
C. n is a multiple of p
D. p is a multiple of m
E. p is a multiple of n

Option D

Hi niks18

i did so:

let m= 3 and n =2

p is some number (any number i choose) so let p= 6

now n*p ---> 2*6 =12

12 is divisible by 3 - is it correct so far? :)

so after this i chose C

what did i do wrong ?

Hi dave13

taking your example only, you have chosen n=2 & p=6.

so now tell me is 2 a multiple of 6 or 6 is a multiple of 2?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 11:18
Hello, niks18, thank you for reply and a good question :) Well, 2 is a multiple of 6, because 2*3 = 6 So :? ? :-)
1 KUDOS received
PS Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
dave13 wrote:
Hello, niks18, thank you for reply and a good question :) Well, 2 is a multiple of 6, because 2*3 = 6 So :? ? :-)

Hi dave13,
If 2 is a multiple of 6 then 6 has to be a factor of 2 i.e 6 divides 2. Is this correct?
I am posing these questions so that you can find the answers yourself for better understanding. Focus on word “multiple” it is derived from multiplication. So as per your understanding is 2 a result of multiplication of some number with 6? Or is it the other way round?

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 18:53
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
dave13 wrote:

Hi..

There are two things..
Multiple and factors...

Multiple...
All integers that come in a certain table..
Here table of 6 is... 6*1=6..6*2=12...6*3=18 and so on
So 6,12, 18 are multiple of 6. So MULTIPLE will be bigger or EQUAL to that number.
. factor..
All integers in whose table that number comes..
2*3=6 means 6 comes in table of 2 and 3, so 2,3 are factors of 6.. factors will be less than or equal to the integer..

So 1,2,3 and 6 are factors of 6 AND 6 is MULTIPLE of 1,2,3, and 6

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 05:01
Bunuel wrote:

A. m is a multiple of n
B. m is a multiple of p
C. n is a multiple of p
D. p is a multiple of m
E. p is a multiple of n

We have the expression \(\frac{p·n}{m}\) is an integer, and knowing that p is also integer plus that there is no way that m cannot be multiple of n because they share no primes, then p must be multiple of m because no prime interchange occurs between n and m.

AC: D

-

If it helped, some kudos would be more than welcome! :-)

King regards,

Rooigle

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 11:16
Hello chetan2u and niks18, :)

many thanks for taking time to explain. highly appreciated! :) indeed :-)

ok so as per my updated knowledge of multiples and factors i am about to write solution in details:)

Let prime numbers \(m\) and \(n\) be \(2\) and \(3\)respectvely

now, pn is divisible by m for some integer p

So, let \(p\) be \(6\)

(the wording "for some integer p" ) does it for 6 ?

\(\frac{pn}{m}\) =\(\frac{6*3}{2}\)= \(9\)

(the wording "for some integer p" ) does it mean for 6 ?

if yes, than how can 6 be multiple of m (2 in this case) because it contradicts Chetan`s explanation =

6 multiple of 2 means to get 6 i multiply 2 by 3

but it can also be: 6 multiple of 3: to get 6 i multiply 3 by 2 which means p is a multiple of n as well :? :)

i googled:
For examples, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 are multiples of 2. To get these numbers, you multiplied 2 by 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, which are integers. A multiple of a number is that number multiplied by an integer.

agained confused something :? :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 15:51
Bunuel wrote:

A. m is a multiple of n
B. m is a multiple of p
C. n is a multiple of p
D. p is a multiple of m
E. p is a multiple of n

Here, the question says m & n are not multiple of each other as they are relatively prime. So, for the statement in passage \(\frac{p*n}{m}\) to be integer \(\frac{p}{m}\) should be integer. Hence, D.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

1 KUDOS received
PS Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 18:22
This post received
KUDOS
dave13 wrote:
Hello chetan2u and niks18, :)

many thanks for taking time to explain. highly appreciated! :) indeed :-)

ok so as per my updated knowledge of multiples and factors i am about to write solution in details:)

Let prime numbers \(m\) and \(n\) be \(2\) and \(3\)respectvely

now, pn is divisible by m for some integer p

So, let \(p\) be \(6\)

(the wording "for some integer p" ) does it for 6 ?

\(\frac{pn}{m}\) =\(\frac{6*3}{2}\)= \(9\)

(the wording "for some integer p" ) does it mean for 6 ?

if yes, than how can 6 be multiple of m (2 in this case) because it contradicts Chetan`s explanation =

6 multiple of 2 means to get 6 i multiply 2 by 3

but it can also be: 6 multiple of 3: to get 6 i multiply 3 by 2 which means p is a multiple of n as well :? :)

i googled:
For examples, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 are multiples of 2. To get these numbers, you multiplied 2 by 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, which are integers. A multiple of a number is that number multiplied by an integer.

agained confused something :? :-)

Hi dave13
6 is a multiple of 2
6=2*3 and 6 is also multiple of 3
So in this case p is multiple of m & n both.
Now read the question carefully, it says “Must be True”. So if I choose p=8, then p is a multiple of 2 but not 3. Hence pn is always divisible by m but not by n. This is the reason why option E is incorrect.
But I hope you understood why option C is incorrect!

Posted from my mobile device
Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no prime fact   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2018, 18:22

Two numbers are said to be relatively prime if they have no prime fact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap