Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Re: U.S. B-School Visits For The Indian Applicant [#permalink]
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
Hey,
Sorry for the extremely late reply. Here are my thoughts on the VISA process.

1. I applied for the Tourist B1/B2 visa. You can not apply for the Study Visa as obviously you do not have an I20 form from a university yet.
2. The questionnaire ( I am assuming you mean the DS-160 form) is pretty straight forward. Just make sure your purpose is mentioned as for pleasure.
3 and 4. I needed a letter from my employer saying I currently work here and have been granted leave for my scheduled visit. I got my friend who stays in NY to send me an invitation letter, but it was not really needed. The VO at the consulate did not even look at a single document I had. He just asked me why I was going where I was staying and approved the visa.
5. The process is fairly OK. As long as you work in India and can show that you have the finances to take care of the visit, it should be ok. I got a 10 year B1/B2 which is pretty standard.

Let me know if you need any other information on the visit.

First, congratulations that you were able to make a visit to your dream B-Schools in US. Certainly, it is no small feat! I am a Fall-2015 Indian applicant to US MBA programs, namely Kellogg and Booth. I have been toying with the idea of a making a visit to these schools in Chicago in the first week of December and therefore I am writing to you to get some first hand knowledge of visiting schools in US. I will highly appreciate if you could please answer some of my queries:

1) Which schools did you visit apart from Tuck and looking back, do you think it was worthwhile to make a trip from India?

2) How much time does it take for the visa to get approved? any tip that you will want to add here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
pratap92 wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
Hey,

1. I applied for the Tourist B1/B2 visa. You can not apply for the Study Visa as obviously you do not have an I20 form from a university yet.
2. The questionnaire ( I am assuming you mean the DS-160 form) is pretty straight forward. Just make sure your purpose is mentioned as for pleasure.
3 and 4. I needed a letter from my employer saying I currently work here and have been granted leave for my scheduled visit. I got my friend who stays in NY to send me an invitation letter, but it was not really needed. The VO at the consulate did not even look at a single document I had. He just asked me why I was going where I was staying and approved the visa.
5. The process is fairly OK. As long as you work in India and can show that you have the finances to take care of the visit, it should be ok. I got a 10 year B1/B2 which is pretty standard.

First, congratulations that you were able to make a visit to your dream B-Schools in US. Certainly, it is no small feat! I am a Fall-2015 Indian applicant to US MBA programs, namely Kellogg and Booth. I have been toying with the idea of a making a visit to these schools in Chicago in the first week of December and therefore I am writing to you to get some first hand knowledge of visiting schools in US. I will highly appreciate if you could please answer some of my queries:

1) Which schools did you visit apart from Tuck and looking back, do you think it was worthwhile to make a trip from India?

2) How much time does it take for the visa to get approved? any tip that you will want to add here.

Hey,
So I visited Tuck and Fuqua, the two schools I was applying to. Both schools have an open Interview policy and hence it made sense to visit.
Kellogg also has the policy and hence it will be good for you. Booth, as far as I know, does not have an open interview policy. So you will be able to still visit, take a tour and probably talk to Ad Com and students.

As far as whether it was worthwhile, I would say absolutely. The experience at both schools was amazing. I had concrete stuff to write about in my essays and could actually relate to the things mentioned on blogs/forums. Think of it as a part of the process, and I really hope a lot more Indians start doing this. I understand there is huge cost involved, but when you compare it to the actual cost of an MBA and the benefits it might have, this i negligible.

For the Visa, it took about 3-4 days. Not more than that. The document gathering process takes longer, but depending on where you are based in India it is fairly easy to get the visa on time. Keep an eye out on appointment dates at the nearest consulate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
pratap92 wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
Hey,

Hey,
So I visited Tuck and Fuqua, the two schools I was applying to. Both schools have an open Interview policy and hence it made sense to visit.
Kellogg also has the policy and hence it will be good for you. Booth, as far as I know, does not have an open interview policy. So you will be able to still visit, take a tour and probably talk to Ad Com and students.

As far as whether it was worthwhile, I would say absolutely. The experience at both schools was amazing. I had concrete stuff to write about in my essays and could actually relate to the things mentioned on blogs/forums. Think of it as a part of the process, and I really hope a lot more Indians start doing this. I understand there is huge cost involved, but when you compare it to the actual cost of an MBA and the benefits it might have, this i negligible.

For the Visa, it took about 3-4 days. Not more than that. The document gathering process takes longer, but depending on where you are based in India it is fairly easy to get the visa on time. Keep an eye out on appointment dates at the nearest consulate.

Thank you for the prompt reply! What did you mention in the "purpose of the visit"? is it okay to say tourist? in that case, did you provide the hotel/flight tickets before hand?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Send PM
I stayed with a friend so no hotel booking. Attached the flight tickets, but VO never looked at those. Purpose was for pleasure. Technically it is a tourist visit.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot