Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepeneur, General Consulting
Schools:Cal, Stanford, HBS, Yale, UCLA, USC
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.01
WE 1: United Technologies (Pratt&Whitney Rocketdyne)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
GMAT 2: 710  Q46  V42
GPA: 3.49
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools:UCLA
 Q48  V43
GPA: 3.5+
WE 1: 7+ years as Software Engineer and Team Lead in various industries.
Send PM
Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey guys,
Although this is my first post, I have been following this thread since a while now. Congratulations to all who have managed to get in.
I decided to go for a MBA only in late March. I've been very busy since then and just got done with my GMAT (730). I haven't completed my application yet, but expect to be done by the 26th deadline. I have 7 years of work experience as a software engineer (yes, another one of them damn engineers). I read that there are still 50 or so seats remaining and I hope to get one of them. Based on whether you have got in or not and my GMAT score and work experience would anybody like to comment on my chances?
Finally I want to thank the entire community for their contributions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
blogreader wrote:
Hey guys,
Although this is my first post, I have been following this thread since a while now. Congratulations to all who have managed to get in.
I decided to go for a MBA only in late March. I've been very busy since then and just got done with my GMAT (730). I haven't completed my application yet, but expect to be done by the 26th deadline. I have 7 years of work experience as a software engineer (yes, another one of them damn engineers). I read that there are still 50 or so seats remaining and I hope to get one of them. Based on whether you have got in or not and my GMAT score and work experience would anybody like to comment on my chances?

Blogreader,
Its very tough to comment on the chances since GMAT and work ex is only part of the package and you are right around/above the median on both those fronts. My advice though would be to concentrate on your essays these last 2 days as they would be way more important at this stage. You are right that there are 50 or more seats still left but do realize that you will be pooled in and evaluated along with all the new applicants in Round 3 and all the waitlisted candidates in round 1 and 2.

I don't mean to discourage you but have you considered applying in fall for the 2014 batch. It seems too rushed to go from deciding to go for an MBA in late March to applying in late May. I say this because you may be able to put together a much better application if you have more time. I know for me it was a 6 month process from attending an info session to the moment I hit the submit button (though GMAT was a good bit which you have taken care of). That being said, this year has been different so good luck with whatever decision you make!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Dinged from USC...the decision was available yesterday but I didn't check until now. I'm surprised it came early as I applied in April and my decision notification was posted as June 1st. I guess schools do ding people before the published notification date. Still very optimistic and holding out hope for UCLA.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepeneur, General Consulting
Schools:Cal, Stanford, HBS, Yale, UCLA, USC
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.01
WE 1: United Technologies (Pratt&Whitney Rocketdyne)
Send PM
Kudos
IndianJaguar wrote:
Just got a call from USC...

Me too. They want my decision by June 1 too.

It took them 3 weeks to review my application and admit me...
Intern
Intern
Schools:UCLA FEMBA rnd 2, USC MBA.PM
 Q42  V41
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Kudos
Got my waitlist notification from USC yesterday. Still waiting to hear anything from UCLA.

More waiting... Ughh...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
blogreader wrote:
Hey guys,

I like your chances as long as your GPA is 3.0+ and your essays are good. And don't miss that deadline.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Guys, been following this thread for a long time, and finally decided to write. Ok so I have been admitted into the USC.PM program and paid all the associated dues. Am on the brink of starting the paperwork for USC but am holding out hope for UCLA FEMBA

Here are my stats:

3.6 GPA from a UC System School
620 GMAT score
Worked for a big tech firm- "Idealab" in Human Resources field
Decent Admissions Interview
LOR from Manager and CEO of Idealab

What are my chances? Should I simply move on to USC?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
oball23 wrote:
Hey Guys, been following this thread for a long time, and finally decided to write. Ok so I have been admitted into the USC.PM program and paid all the associated dues. Am on the brink of starting the paperwork for USC but am holding out hope for UCLA FEMBA

Here are my stats:

3.6 GPA from a UC System School
620 GMAT score
Worked for a big tech firm- "Idealab" in Human Resources field
Decent Admissions Interview
LOR from Manager and CEO of Idealab

What are my chances? Should I simply move on to USC?

As some have already mentioned, I think UCLA FEMBA puts more emphasis on raw numbers (GMAT in particular) than most programs.

I still think you have somewhat of a shot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
phoich55 wrote:
Congrats on USC, IndianJaguar

How did the call go? Have you already committed to UCLA?

Thanks phoich55. The lady called just said congratulations and mentioned that deposit is due by June 1. Yes, I already committed to UCLA. USC was really a back up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
blogreader wrote:
Hey guys,

Hello blogreader,
Though as others mentioned, I think you have hurried slightly with your application. But, if you are able to put together nice set of essays, I think you have a good shot. Make sure your essays are not generic. a.k.a try to put something very personal with UCLA. This is where time is spend researching about school and its strengths and how it fits with your aim etc. If you can pull this together, go for it..it doesn't hurt. You always have next year..saying from my personal experience ( I was a re-applicant this time)...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:UCLA
 Q48  V43
GPA: 3.5+
WE 1: 7+ years as Software Engineer and Team Lead in various industries.
Send PM
sanknox wrote:
My advice though would be to concentrate on your essays these last 2 days as they would be way more important at this stage.

Thanks for the advice. My essays are ready and are in the process of being proof read (for the nth time I guess). I'm not sure I'll ever be completely satisfied with them.
IndianJaguar wrote:
Hello blogreader,
Though as others mentioned, I think you have hurried slightly with your application. But, if you are able to put together nice set of essays, I think you have a good shot. Make sure your essays are not generic. a.k.a try to put something very personal with UCLA. This is where time is spend researching about school and its strengths and how it fits with your aim etc. If you can pull this together, go for it..it doesn't hurt. You always have next year..saying from my personal experience ( I was a re-applicant this time)...

India Jaguar, thanks for your reply.I concede that my decision is hurried, but unfortunately it is controlled by factors that are beyond my control. I've had a few current MBA students review my essays (one of them in a current UCLA FEMBA student). Their feedback in general has been positive.
JinJJa wrote:
I like your chances as long as your GPA is 3.0+ and your essays are good. And don't miss that deadline.

Thanks JinJJa. That makes my feel good. My master's GPA is 3.5+. What about you, have you managed to get in
Manager
Manager
Send PM
blogreader wrote:
sanknox wrote:
My advice though would be to concentrate on your essays these last 2 days as they would be way more important at this stage.

Thanks for the advice. My essays are ready and are in the process of being proof read (for the nth time I guess). I'm not sure I'll ever be completely satisfied with them.
IndianJaguar wrote:
Hello blogreader,

India Jaguar, thanks for your reply.I concede that my decision is hurried, but unfortunately it is controlled by factors that are beyond my control. I've had a few current MBA students review my essays (one of them in a current UCLA FEMBA student). Their feedback in general has been positive.
JinJJa wrote:

Thanks JinJJa. That makes my feel good. My master's GPA is 3.5+. What about you, have you managed to get in

Yeah, I am in and plan to matriculate.

If this doesn't work out this year, then I certainly think you would have a strong chance next year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
kdagreen wrote:
Finally off that waitlist! Accepted! I was also accepted to USC a few months back (which I put the deposit down for). It's going to be a tough decision to make. UCLA education vs. USC network.

:banana

Congrats for your admit....I got waitlisted today. I had applied in FEMBA R2. Dont know wat to expect. Can you please share some thoughts? Also what did you do to convert waitlist to admit? It seems I am one of the last one to be put in waitlist.

- MM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
moneyminter wrote:
kdagreen wrote:
Finally off that waitlist! Accepted! I was also accepted to USC a few months back (which I put the deposit down for). It's going to be a tough decision to make. UCLA education vs. USC network.

Congrats for your admit....I got waitlisted today. I had applied in FEMBA R2. Dont know wat to expect. Can you please share some thoughts? Also what did you do to convert waitlist to admit? It seems I am one of the last one to be put in waitlist.

- MM

It is my understanding that people who get off the waitlist usually do nothing additional to be admitted.

One thing which I think would definitely help is improving your GMAT score if your score is lower than 700. I surmise that FEMBA is looking for at least 650+ and the GMAT seems to carry a very heavy weight.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi gang,

After much deliberation, I've decided to choose Anderson's FEMBA over USC's MBA.PM.

Very, very tough call but I think I made the right choice.

Good luck on those who are still waiting on decisions and for those who are admitted, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TrojanBruin wrote:
Hi gang,

After much deliberation, I've decided to choose Anderson's FEMBA over USC's MBA.PM.

Very, very tough call but I think I made the right choice.

Good luck on those who are still waiting on decisions and for those who are admitted, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

I think you made the right call.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JinJJa wrote:
moneyminter wrote:
kdagreen wrote:

- MM

It is my understanding that people who get off the waitlist usually do nothing additional to be admitted.

One thing which I think would definitely help is improving your GMAT score if your score is lower than 700. I surmise that FEMBA is looking for at least 650+ and the GMAT seems to carry a very heavy weight.

Thanks JinJJa ! My GMAT is 680. I have schedule an application feedback. Lets see wat the FEMBA committee says.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16