GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UCLA with $ $ $ $ or Kellogg with $ $ $ or Booth with $ $ or Ross $

new topic post reply Update application status  

Champagne Problems - choose one

• 20% [9]
  • 11% [5]
  • 62% [27]
  • 4% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.4
UCLA with $ $ $ $ or Kellogg with $ $ $ or Booth with $ $ or Ross $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Apr 2015, 14:43
Champagne problems.

Let's see if I can get some input from you guys. I just want to know your thoughts/opinions - gain other perspectives. No need to tell me "go where you feel best" - i will..just looking for other perspectives. No need to say - you can't let random strangers make decisions for you - i'm not, just looking for other perspectives. :P

Here's the situation.

I've been lucky enough to get into those 4 schools with scholarships ranging from full tuition to 20 grand for 2 years. I'm a career switcher from financial services to marketing strategy and want to be in the entertainment/media industry but also open to luxury/lifestyle entertainment. Not looking for CPG roles. Looking to gain as much experience as possible since this is a self driven industry (ie not as much formalized recruiting). pros and cons as I see them

ULCA
+ full scholarship
+ LA location for media
+ LA location for weather
+ have you seen their campus?
- alumni HEAVILY focused in LA. Want to end back on the east coast
- because of above - recruiters primarily Socal (even Norcal is limited)
- seems they are doing away with the international exchange
- not as widely know internationally

Ross
+ Action based learning (MAP, other projects) great for career switchers looking for real life opportunity
+ supportive community really focused on helping fellow classmates
+ low cost of living
- not much scholarship offered
- michigan not really known for being a media hub

Kellogg
+ known as marketing school (although really focused on CPG)
+ Very generous scholarship
+/- college town
+still have companies like viacom recruit there even though it's not really a media hub
+ most internationally recognized brand out of the 4
- weather (brr)
- not feeling "party school" rep
- haven't heard great things about academics
- media not strong focus

Booth
+ M7
+ you get the automatic "smart" brand
+ flexible curriculum is a plus for me
+ have enjoyed interactions with this school the most
+ great classes
- lack of media focus
- location (brrr)
- decent scholarship but will still be $$$
- has reputation as not collaborative
- alumni not as far reaching (are they close?)

Thoughts please!! Especially love to hear from current admits/students who think some of my thoughts might be faulty... what would YOU do?

Originally posted by angelfire213 on 13 Apr 2015, 14:11.
Last edited by angelfire213 on 13 Apr 2015, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: UCLA with $ $ $ $ or Kellogg with $ $ $ or Booth with $ $ or Ross $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 14:35
Well first, congrats on the amazing choices! I would say first and foremost, your b-school choice should primarily come down to a) which school is going to help you with your career goals and b) where you want to be after graduation.

I don't know Booth and Ross as well so I'll disregard those (though based on what you've written below, I don't think either should be a top contender). For UCLA and Kellogg, I think each school has a bit of selection bias going on. UCLA places more on the west coast, but that has some to do with people wanting to stay there, so that doesn't mean you can't get a job in New York. Kellogg, on the other hand, sends very few people into media & entertainment but that could also be because not as many people at Kellogg are looking for jobs in that field.

What companies are you trying to target? I would do some research on linkedin to see how many grads from UCLA and Kellogg respectively work at those companies and are based in the east coast.

Also, you may be able to get a job in marketing strategy within a different industry, and then transition later once you have the experience in that job function. So unless you're looking at tech companies, I think Kellogg has the upper hand there.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Economics
Schools: Booth - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA with $ $ $ $ or Kellogg with $ $ $ or Booth with $ $ or Ross $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 16:53
Honestly, Kellogg or Booth will get you what UCLA (or Ross) can get you and more. Personally I would limit my choice between those 2 schools.

Recruiting in Media, Entertainment or Luxury is mostly self driven so the school itself may not matter as much. But you could do a quick search on LinkedIn to see which one has the strongest alumni base at your target companies. This may have some influence at the margins.

For the rest, I'd say Booth has the best education and will serve you well no matter where you choose to recruit immediately after b-school.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 19:18
Congrats on multiple admits!

If you are clear about going into entertainment and media, my unequivocal vote is for UCLA.

Granted that companies in that industry don't recruit on-campus for most part so Anderson recruiting might not be an added value that way. But LA being the hub of E&M can get you invaluable connections through UCLA alumni. Almost everyday tons of events happen on the campus and they will prove very useful as you pursue self-directed job search. Getting into E&M is mostly about who you know.

As far as the campus: I have visited the campus and the overall university campus is gorgeous. However, Anderson facilities are not as swanky as you might find in Ross and Booth. I have not been to Kellogg so can't speak about that.

You have all good choices but it is your career goal that is making me pick Anderson over the others.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UCLA with $ $ $ $ or Kellogg with $ $ $ or Booth with $ $ or Ross $   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2015, 19:18

UCLA with $ $ $ $ or Kellogg with $ $ $ or Booth with $ $ or Ross $

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste