GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unbalanced 740 GMAT score: High Verbal, Low Quant and AWA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Unbalanced 740 GMAT score: High Verbal, Low Quant and AWA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 17:32
Hey, so I took the GMAT cold a week ago. I only did the two free practice GMAT prep exams, without any additional practice.
Come the day of the exam, I scored a 740 (45V, 47Q) which is super unbalanced, since my verbal score puts me in the 99th percentile while my quant score puts me in the 61st percentile. I didn't do so great on IR either. I got a 5. Also, I just received my score report, and I got a 4 on AWA, which is just horrible.

Do I have any chance of getting into a top B-school with these scores?

Btw, I used to be really good at Math in high school, but I haven't taken many math classes ever since, so I'm definitely rusty. But I did score around the 80th percentile in both the practice tests i took and I also wasn't feeling my best during the actual exam. So I do believe I could score much higher with a bit of practice. As for AWA, I was honestly expecting to score higher. I'm not a native English speaker, but I've always done a good job with essays.
RC Moderator
V
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Unbalanced 740 GMAT score: High Verbal, Low Quant and AWA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 18:29
Hello chubbybunny156 ... welcome to the community. Congratulations on such a stellar score.

Coming to math...... Q47 is not BAD... it's not the greatest one either. It seems that you have all the basic knowledge and I feel that all u need is practice. Below are my 2 cents :

1. Use GMAT Club pdf (free !! :) )to refresh concepts tested in the exam.
2. Start practicing 600 level Qs at the links below, and once I reach 90% accuracy(in 2 mins) I would move to 700 level.
**From your post ......it seems....you would be done with those 2 steps in 5-10 days
3. Similarly, at 700 level I would strive for 80-85% accuracy(again in 2 mins) ..... more the merrier !!
4. Finally, definitely use GMAT Club Q-Tests (if you are targetting Q48++) :)
**Be mindful with your mistakes and the ones that you took more than 3 or 4 mins.

DS : https://gmatclub.com/forum/ds-question- ... 28728.html
PS : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-ps-ques ... 27957.html

All the best !!

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Unbalanced 740 GMAT score: High Verbal, Low Quant and AWA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 18:45
chubbybunny156 wrote:
You have a very good chance of getting into a top program :)

That said, the GMAT is not the only thing admissions committees look at, so you should work on putting a really good application together. And yes, you could take the exam again if you have the time to do so. 740 "cold" is just amazing, and I expect that Q47 to go up very quickly with a little revision.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 07:47
chubbybunny156 wrote:
Hey, so I took the GMAT cold a week ago. I only did the two free practice GMAT prep exams, without any additional practice.
Come the day of the exam, I scored a 740 (45V, 47Q) which is super unbalanced, since my verbal score puts me in the 99th percentile while my quant score puts me in the 61st percentile. I didn't do so great on IR either. I got a 5. Also, I just received my score report, and I got a 4 on AWA, which is just horrible.

Btw, I used to be really good at Math in high school, but I haven't taken many math classes ever since, so I'm definitely rusty. But I did score around the 80th percentile in both the practice tests i took and I also wasn't feeling my best during the actual exam. So I do believe I could score much higher with a bit of practice. As for AWA, I was honestly expecting to score higher. I'm not a native English speaker, but I've always done a good job with essays.

Congrats on your GMAT score. However, people may think yours is unbalanced score. Need not worry about your score. Just focus on your profile, essays, and LORs. You will get interview call, they would question about your quant score. If you give the justifaction, its not big deal to crack interview. all the best for the application process. :thumbup:
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 08:14
Hi chubbybunny156,

Welcome to gmatclub!

Learn more about the exam:
GMAT Study Plan
Best GMAT Math Books
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !

AWA guide:
How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT ....my guide

Hope this helps!

Non progredi est regredi

Director
Director
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 09:29
chubbybunny156 wrote:

Congratulations on getting a very good score! If you have some time then I feel you could give the GMAT once again and improve your quant score to Q49 or above.

All the best!!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Hi chubbybunny156,

First off, a 740/Q47 is an outstanding score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 19:08
Wow, 740 with minimal prep is an awesome score! Really nice job. Regarding how you will fare in admissions, I agree that you should reach out to one of the many admissions consultants here on GMAT Club. If it turns out that you want to take one more crack at the GMAT, feel free to reach back out, and I’d be happy to help. Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unbalanced 740 GMAT score: High Verbal, Low Quant and AWA   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2019, 19:08

Unbalanced 740 GMAT score: High Verbal, Low Quant and AWA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap