GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 10:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     07:00 PM PST

     08:00 PM PST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Understanding Time & Work formula

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Understanding Time & Work formula  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 02:00
1
Let
M=Men, D=Days, H=Hours, W=Work
M ∝ W (M is directly proportional to W)
D ∝ W
H ∝ W
MDH ∝ W
MDH = kW
MDH/W = k
I know MDH represents Total Men hour work and W represents 1 unit of work. Then what does the ratio MDH/W represents.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4488
Re: Understanding Time & Work formula  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 10:47
22990atinesh wrote:
Let
M=Men, D=Days, H=Hours, W=Work
M ∝ W (M is directly proportional to W)
D ∝ W
H ∝ W
MDH ∝ W
MDH = kW
MDH/W = k
I know MDH represents Total Men hour work and W represents 1 unit of work. Then what does the ratio MDH/W represents.

Dear 22990atinesh,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I'll suggest that if you put the k on the other side of the equation, it will be much more sensible:
kMDH = W
So that
k = W/(MDH)
which would make it vaguely rate-like. Work per man-hour-days, something like that.

I will say, I don't think know this formula is going to help you on the GMAT. You do have to know the basic idea of work rate R, where A = RT (A is the amount of work done). The GMAT tends not to ask a lot of questions about the amount of work done when you change the number of men or number of machines, and I have absolutely never seen anything testing the details of hours per day vs. days worked.

The GMAT is much more apt to ask about two (or more) different machines (or people) working at different rates; the GMAT loves questions of that form --- A works at this rate, B works at that rate, what happens when the work together? etc. See this blog for a further discussion:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-work-rate-problems/

This formula you have, and worrying about the meaning of k, is not going to help you at all on the work questions that are most typical on the GMAT.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Re: Understanding Time & Work formula  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 20:17
mikemcgarry wrote:
22990atinesh wrote:
Let
M=Men, D=Days, H=Hours, W=Work
M ∝ W (M is directly proportional to W)
D ∝ W
H ∝ W
MDH ∝ W
MDH = kW
MDH/W = k
I know MDH represents Total Men hour work and W represents 1 unit of work. Then what does the ratio MDH/W represents.

Dear 22990atinesh,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I'll suggest that if you put the k on the other side of the equation, it will be much more sensible:
kMDH = W
So that
k = W/(MDH)
which would make it vaguely rate-like. Work per man-hour-days, something like that.

I will say, I don't think know this formula is going to help you on the GMAT. You do have to know the basic idea of work rate R, where A = RT (A is the amount of work done). The GMAT tends not to ask a lot of questions about the amount of work done when you change the number of men or number of machines, and I have absolutely never seen anything testing the details of hours per day vs. days worked.

.....



Hello mikemcgarry thanx for your response,
I'm not a GMAT Aspirant, I'm just clearing my basic doubts of some aptitude topics.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 31
Re: Understanding Time & Work formula  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 May 2014, 11:26
Dear 22990atinesh

It's good that you are curious to understand the real-world significance of mathematical formulas.

Coming to your ques, \(k = \frac{MDH}{W}\)
= \(\frac{Total man-hours worked}{Total units of work done}\)
= Man-hours required per unit of work

You can appreciate that this ratio will be useful for some companies. For example, let's say, a car company is debating whether to purchase a few automation machines or not. They may use this ratio in their decision-making. For example, assembling of 1 car may normally take 100 man-hours (that is, k=100), but with the automation machines, it may take only 40 man-hours (that is, k'= 40). This looks like an attractive proposition! Of course, the management will also consider other factors, like costs, in making their decision.
_________________

Please press Kudos if you were helped by my post!


Originally posted by JapinderKaur on 22 May 2014, 10:58.
Last edited by JapinderKaur on 22 May 2014, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 35
Location: India
Schools: IIMC
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
Re: Understanding Time & Work formula  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 11:21
2
Dear 22990atinesh,

This MDH = k(constant) * W can be used to solve problems where 2 situations in terms of men, days and hours are given:

\(\frac{M1 * D1 * H1}{M2 * D2 * H2} = \frac{W1}{W2}\) ,

For example,
If 6 men working 5 days for 8 hours each can finish a task. How many men would be needed for 4 days for 6 hours each to finish half the task?

Answer:

\(\frac{M1 * D1 * H1}{M2 * D2 * H2} = \frac{W1}{W2}\)

= \(\frac{6 * 5 * 8}{M2 * 4 * 6} = \frac{1}{0.5}\)

Solving,

we get M2 = 5 men

Rgds,
Rajat
_________________

If you liked the post, please press the'Kudos' button on the left

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Re: Understanding Time & Work formula  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 21:01
MavenQ wrote:
Dear 22990atinesh

It's good that you are curious to understand the real-world significance of mathematical formulas.

Coming to your ques, \(k = \frac{MDH}{W}\)
= \(\frac{Total man-hours worked}{Total units of work done}\)
= Man-hours required per unit of work

You can appreciate that this ratio will be useful for some companies. For example, let's say, a car company is debating whether to purchase a few automation machines or not. They may use this ratio in their decision-making. For example, assembling of 1 car may normally take 100 man-hours (that is, k=100), but with the automation machines, it may take only 40 man-hours (that is, k'= 40). This looks like an attractive proposition! Of course, the management will also consider other factors, like costs, in making their decision.


Thanx MavenQ, I think I get it .You are trying to say that total Man hour/unit work is constant i.e. MDH/W=k. for example we have given that 2 Men working 3 hours/day works for 4 days to complete a work (unit of work). Calculate how many days required by 1 man working 2 hours/day to complete the 1/2 of that work.

Sol: As we know Man hour/unit work is constant. Hence \(\frac{M_1D_1H_1}{W_1}=\frac{M_2D_2H_2}{W_2}\)
Now we can easily plug data in LHS of the above equation. But for RHS as we know, we have to calculate days required by 1 man working 2 hours/day to complete the 1/2 of that work. so we have to double the total Man hour in RHS i.e.

\(\frac{2*4*3}{1}=\frac{2*(1*X*2)}{1}\)

\(\frac{2*4*3}{1}=\frac{(1*X*2)}{1/2}\)

\(X=6\)

Correct If I did something wrong.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Understanding Time & Work formula  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 04:24
22990atinesh wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
22990atinesh wrote:
Let
M=Men, D=Days, H=Hours, W=Work
M ∝ W (M is directly proportional to W)
D ∝ W
H ∝ W
MDH ∝ W
MDH = kW
MDH/W = k
I know MDH represents Total Men hour work and W represents 1 unit of work. Then what does the ratio MDH/W represents.

Dear 22990atinesh,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I'll suggest that if you put the k on the other side of the equation, it will be much more sensible:
kMDH = W
So that
k = W/(MDH)
which would make it vaguely rate-like. Work per man-hour-days, something like that.

I will say, I don't think know this formula is going to help you on the GMAT. You do have to know the basic idea of work rate R, where A = RT (A is the amount of work done). The GMAT tends not to ask a lot of questions about the amount of work done when you change the number of men or number of machines, and I have absolutely never seen anything testing the details of hours per day vs. days worked.

.....



Hello mikemcgarry thanx for your response,
I'm not a GMAT Aspirant, I'm just clearing my basic doubts of some aptitude topics.




Hi Mike, mikemcgarry
Could you explain how do we work this question :
Computer hackers can scan and infect 10 computers in 5 hours.If this group of hackers want to scan and infect 20 computers in 8 hours ,how many new computer hackers do they need to recruit and join their team in-order to accomplish this task,assuming all hackers work at the same rate.
How do we solve this GMAT question
GMAT Club Bot
Understanding Time & Work formula &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 04:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Understanding Time & Work formula

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.