It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 16:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Understanding whether to purchase MGMAT books for 2018 GMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Understanding whether to purchase MGMAT books for 2018 GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 12:05
Dear All. I am in a big conundrum here. I am in between jobs as I just relocated and I want to use this time to prepare for my GMAT. I plan to go back to school for my MBA hopefully and also hope to pivot my career as a whole.

I have purchased the Official GMAC guides (all three of them). I have also purchased 6 Versitas CAT tests. Finally i was hoping to get some GMAT classes but after attending a refresher session I realized its not for me and I much rather self study during this period.

I have read good things about the MGMAT books. I plan to purchase the 6th edition but am concerned it wont match the OG GMAT 2018.

Verbal is my strong suite I feel and I need big improvements in quant. I have also been looking at Magoosh and wondering if it would be better than self studying just through MGMAT.

I am lacking confidence. I am one of those who is worried about taking a practice test and realizing the herculean task ahead of me. My target score is 650 and and when i took a Princeton CAT few months ago cold, i just touched 500.

I need to build up both endurance and trust. I feel my brain gets exhausted pretty quickly and hence i want to time my self study in the hopes of getting my university endurance back.

Any help will be appreciated. Best regards.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 585

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 321

Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Understanding whether to purchase MGMAT books for 2018 GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 02:35
VanMalki

Welcome to Gmatclub!! All the very best for your dream to get to
B school.

Quote:
I have read good things about the MGMAT books. I plan to purchase the 6th edition but am concerned it wont match the OG GMAT 2018.

It is correct observation. MGMAT books are well known for its content (read theory) and a couple of practice Qs
to cement the theory taught. OG Qs are virtually a mirror of what you will see most likely in actual GMAT exam
since these are retarded GMAT prep Qs.


Quote:
Verbal is my strong suite I feel and I need big improvements in quant. I have also been looking at Magoosh and wondering if it would be better than self studying just through MGMAT.


What is the basis of your intuition? Have you given any of free mocks on http://www.mba.com to test real waters?
You can also find reviews of Magoosh and other courses here
Almost all of them offer a 5-7 day free trial for you to get accustomed to their course. Take full opportunity of this and make a
wise decision.

Quote:
I am lacking confidence. I am one of those who is worried about taking a practice test and realizing the herculean task ahead of me. My target score is 650 and and when i took a Princeton CAT few months ago cold, i just touched 500.

As I mentioned before, rely more on official tests towards start and end of your prep to get taste of real waters.
On an average, a students scoring 700+ takes an average of 120 hours for self-prep. But again this is just
an average, Since you have veritas mocks and manhattan books, It shall be ideal to keep pacing yourself with '
these mocks to know if you are able to apply correctly what you learnt, particularly for timing and strategy aspects.

Hope this helps!!
_________________

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 321

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 Dec 2015
Posts: 123

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 49

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Re: Understanding whether to purchase MGMAT books for 2018 GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 23:12
VanMalki wrote:
Dear All. I am in a big conundrum here. I am in between jobs as I just relocated and I want to use this time to prepare for my GMAT. I plan to go back to school for my MBA hopefully and also hope to pivot my career as a whole.

I have purchased the Official GMAC guides (all three of them). I have also purchased 6 Versitas CAT tests. Finally i was hoping to get some GMAT classes but after attending a refresher session I realized its not for me and I much rather self study during this period.

I have read good things about the MGMAT books. I plan to purchase the 6th edition but am concerned it wont match the OG GMAT 2018.

Verbal is my strong suite I feel and I need big improvements in quant. I have also been looking at Magoosh and wondering if it would be better than self studying just through MGMAT.

I am lacking confidence. I am one of those who is worried about taking a practice test and realizing the herculean task ahead of me. My target score is 650 and and when i took a Princeton CAT few months ago cold, i just touched 500.

I need to build up both endurance and trust. I feel my brain gets exhausted pretty quickly and hence i want to time my self study in the hopes of getting my university endurance back.

Any help will be appreciated. Best regards.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hi,

Welcome to gmatclub. I was in same dilemma once like you are right now. I purchased the MGAMT 4th edition (second hand) from Amazon.com. After going through the books I found that only Sentence Correction book was most useful for me as English was my weakness. I bought Power Score Bible for Critical Reasoning, and it is the best book for critical reasoning in my opinion. Solve 2-3 Reading Comprehension from gmatclub everyday.

For math, you can study theory from anywhere (MGMAT, eGMAT, magoosh etc.) but I'll suggest, solve questions from gmatclub forum only.
The best part about this forum is, people discuss the problem and you'll get to know different methods and tricks to solve a problem.

Once you are through with math practice questions, I'll suggest solve OG latest edition a few days before main exam (start solving OG a month before exam). Solving OG will help you the most.

I did not solve OG chapter wise, I solved it in one shot 15 days before exam.

For mock, make sure you download the free software from mba.com and at least solve the 2 free tests before main exam. Gmatclub tests are good too.

Below links have topic and difficulty wise questions, I hope these links can be useful:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-ps-ques ... 27957.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ds-question- ... 28728.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-rea ... 28861.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-cor ... 29750.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/reading-comp ... 29341.html

Best of luck :)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 49

Re: Understanding whether to purchase MGMAT books for 2018 GMAT   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2018, 23:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Understanding whether to purchase MGMAT books for 2018 GMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.