Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:55 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Asset Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72919 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: University of Minnesota Carlson vs Desautels, McGill University [#permalink]
Kudos
I definitely recommend Carlson over Mcgill for your purpose, unless you want achievements in academics.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Re: University of Minnesota Carlson vs Desautels, McGill University [#permalink]
thecosmos wrote:
Hi Fellow Members!!
I have got admits from SMU COX ($80,000 scholarship), Boston University ($65,000), Carlson ($60,000) and McGill (CAD 28,000).
I am currently working as Investment Analyst.
Future Goals - Corporate Finance Roles.

At the end, for me, it boils down to McGill and Carlson.

McGill -
+ve: Good finance school, diverse finance profiles (saw people working in IB, PE and M&A roles), CANADA (immigration is easy) and they have what I want to study.
-ve: Compensation is low.

Carlson -
again an amazing school, rigorous academics, people mainly working in Midwest, rising in finance though slowly, people are working in Corporate Finance roles but then saw no profile in IB, PE or M&A.

I am a little inclined towards McGill mainly because of IB/PE/M&A profiles (though a few in numbers)

Connected with alums of both schools and they have great words for their respective institutes.

What are your suggestions?

If you're looking at CIB, and by the looks of your post, you are, make sure you take unis that are feeders to *good* IB companies (by "good", I mean the Goldmans of the world, maybe even some mid- market companies).
Since these are still somewhat non-target, start your prep early- look at BMC, WSP, FactSet certifications, etc ASAP . Also, start networking for summer internships like right now..
Current Student
Send PM
When it comes to feeding students to finance - McGill emerges as a clear winner. However, Carlson is growing but alums have no clear idea about financial roles.

But then US MBA is a dream. I guess more research is required.

massan wrote:
I definitely recommend Carlson over Mcgill for your purpose, unless you want achievements in academics.
Current Student
Send PM
d999 wrote:
thecosmos wrote:
Hi Fellow Members!!
I have got admits from SMU COX ($80,000 scholarship), Boston University ($65,000), Carlson ($60,000) and McGill (CAD 28,000).
I am currently working as Investment Analyst.
Future Goals - Corporate Finance Roles.

At the end, for me, it boils down to McGill and Carlson.

McGill -
+ve: Good finance school, diverse finance profiles (saw people working in IB, PE and M&A roles), CANADA (immigration is easy) and they have what I want to study.
-ve: Compensation is low.

Carlson -
again an amazing school, rigorous academics, people mainly working in Midwest, rising in finance though slowly, people are working in Corporate Finance roles but then saw no profile in IB, PE or M&A.

I am a little inclined towards McGill mainly because of IB/PE/M&A profiles (though a few in numbers)

Connected with alums of both schools and they have great words for their respective institutes.

What are your suggestions?

If you're looking at CIB, and by the looks of your post, you are, make sure you take unis that are feeders to *good* IB companies (by "good", I mean the Goldmans of the world, maybe even some mid- market companies).
Since these are still somewhat non-target, start your prep early- look at BMC, WSP, FactSet certifications, etc ASAP . Also, start networking for summer internships like right now..

That's some great input!!! Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
When doing research, you should check on career pivot stat if available as well.
I'm sure that some school has higher number of financials going into the finance and this is great factor when it comes to peer networking.
However, the school itself might not add any value to the table if 100 students from finance goes into finance. They were working there anyways.
Carlson has great pros and cons.
MN is pretty cold and far away from other major cities, meaning you can network with local firms with ease and feed into them.
As bb mentioned, pick your country first and the decision will be easy on you.
In general, US MBA does great job at putting people into the network they need when compared to the rest of the world.
That's why I think US school will be better for you, but it might not be that case at the end if you're looking into immigration.

You're on great track either way. Don't get too stressed over the choice, although it will change your life one way or another.
Current Student
Send PM
People Carlson now stands at $70k Scholarship!
I have to make a really tough call now
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thecosmos wrote:
People Carlson now stands at $70k Scholarship!
I have to make a really tough call now

hey! congratz on extra $. I don't think that extra $ should come into play after doing research. Did you check and compare all the stats and your preference?
What did alumni/current students say about your current status?

p.s. ranking of Carlson is taken account of it's small class size and weak network across country compared to peer schools, and I think it is worth mentioning it.
Current Student
Send PM
I contacted a number of students from both B schools. McGill guys are super spontaneous and everyone has almost same words about the school.
pros: Asset Management, IB, PE, Strategy, Corporate Finance. Name a role, it is available for McGill people.
Cons: Montreal is French, jobs in Toronto - shed extra money on networking.

Carlson people are of the view that once you land in US top 30 university, you will get the job!!!! Carlson's analytics is among the best in the country. In corporate finance domain Amazon, Uber, google, Microsoft, Ecolabs hire from Carlson. Pay is better than Canadian paycheck.
Carlson is improving its presence in Asset Management.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
There you go! I think you have all the answers, pros, and cons to choose from. Main discussion is choosing between Canada vs US and you'll have to make a judgement on your own for that topic.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts