GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

University president: We will be forced to reduce spending next year i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
Premium Member Reviews Badge
University president: We will be forced to reduce spending next year i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Feb 2019, 21:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:09) correct 51% (02:07) wrong based on 148 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

University president: We will be forced to reduce spending next year if we do not increase our enrollment. So, if we are to maintain the quality of the education we provide, we must market our programs more aggressively. Without such marketing we will be unable to increase our enrollment.

The conclusion of the university president's argument can be properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) The university will not maintain the quality of the education it provides if it increases its enrollment.

(B) The university will not need to reduce spending next year if it increases its enrollment.

(C) The university will increase its enrollment if it markets its programs more aggressively.

(D) The university will not maintain the quality of the education it provides if it reduces spending next year.

(E) The university will not need to reduce spending next year if it markets its programs more aggressively.

The HARDER you work, the LUCKIER you get.

Originally posted by patto on 26 Feb 2019, 12:57.
Last edited by Bunuel on 26 Feb 2019, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: University president: We will be forced to reduce spending next year i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 00:29
Hi, may anyone suggest why option D makes a better choice over option C?

To me, it seems that if the university president can increase its top line (enrollments), then his/her problems will be sorted.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
CAT Tests
Re: University president: We will be forced to reduce spending next year i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 01:45
abhishek31 wrote:

To me, it seems that if the university president can increase its top line (enrollments), then his/her problems will be sorted.

Because option C is a statement not an assumption.
Hope its clear
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 09:28
patto wrote:
University president: We will be forced to reduce spending next year if we do not increase our enrollment. So, if we are to maintain the quality of the education we provide, we must market our programs more aggressively. Without such marketing we will be unable to increase our enrollment.

The conclusion of the university president's argument can be properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) The university will not maintain the quality of the education it provides if it increases its enrollment.

(B) The university will not need to reduce spending next year if it increases its enrollment.

(C) The university will increase its enrollment if it markets its programs more aggressively.

(D) The university will not maintain the quality of the education it provides if it reduces spending next year.

(E) The university will not need to reduce spending next year if it markets its programs more aggressively.

Options B & C are directly stated in the argument, right?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 11:24
Dear Expert,
please help me understand what is the main conclusion of the sentence?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 (D), NUS '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 12:45
abhishek31 wrote:

Assumption is a statement that:

1. Is neither explicitly stated or can be deduced from the information in the passage
and
2. Must be true so that the conclusion holds

The two conditions above are necessary and sufficient to classify a statement as an Assumption.

In this question, statements in option B,C and E are either explicitly stated or can be logically deduced on the basis of information given in the passage. However, statement in Option D is neither stated nor can be logically inferred from the passage, but it must be true so that the conclusion stands.

I hope your doubt is resolved. Feel free to ask anything more.

If my post was helpful, kindly contribute a Kudos.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 (D), NUS '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 12:48
Raj30 wrote:
patto wrote:

Options B & C are directly stated in the argument, right?

Yes.

If my post was helpful, kindly contribute a Kudos.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 04:38
patto wrote:

We will be forced to reduce spending next year if we do not increase our enrolment.
Without marketing, we will be unable to increase our enrolment.

Conclusion: If we are to maintain the quality of the education we provide, we must market our programs more aggressively.

Which of the following assumptions can lead to properly drawing the conclusion?
Note what is missing from the premises to the conclusion - the premises do not talk about "maintaining the quality of education" but the conclusion concludes that to maintain it, marketing programs aggressively is a must.

Note the flow of the argument:
Without marketing -> No increase in enrolment
Without increase in enrolment -> Forced to reduce spending
So Marketing programs is essential for "maintaining quality".

We must find a link on how "forced to reduce spending" leads to "not maintaining quality". Option (D) does just that.

The argument is dealing in necessary conditions only.
Marketing necessary for new enrolment.
New enrolment necessary for "not forced to reduce spending".
So marketing necessary for "maintaining quality".

Options (B) and (C) state sufficiency.

(B) The university will not need to reduce spending next year if it increases its enrolment.
Increasing enrolment is sufficient to not "need reduction in spending". This is not an assumption. The argument only talks about necessary conditions.

(C) The university will increase its enrolment if it markets its programs more aggressively.
Marketing is sufficient for increasing enrolment. Again, this is not an assumption. We don't care if marketing is sufficient. We know that it is necessary.

For more on this kind of assumption questions, check: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/0 ... sumptions/

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
University president: We will be forced to reduce spending next year i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 09:42

Step 1: Identify conclusion (trigger word "So" is a good indicator)

C: So, if we are to maintain the quality of the education we provide (Q) we must market our programs more aggressively (M)
(M->Q)

Step 2: Identify premises (Everything used to support the conclusion in some form)

P1: Without such marketing we will be unable to increase our enrollment. M->E
P2: We will be forced to reduce spending next year if we do not increase our enrollment. E->S

From the premises: M->E->S
From the conclusion: M->Q

The final, missing premise to arrive at our conclusion, which is M->Q, is S->Q.
If S->Q then from the premises we can say M->E->S->Q, therefore M->Q.

Final notes: It's a difficult problem because:
1) Identifying the conclusion is tricky. You can make an argument that the passage is three conclusions which are all tied together.
2) The premises and conclusion are all worded backwards (i.e instead of saying A leads to B, the passage says "We can't get to B without A)
GMAT Club Bot
University president: We will be forced to reduce spending next year i   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2019, 09:42

University president: We will be forced to reduce spending next year i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap