It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 11:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1512

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 1

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 03:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

a) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package

b) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company's severance package

c) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers

d) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

e) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers



Explain your answer.
thanks

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2008
Posts: 187

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 04:30
We must compare severance packages with severance packages, so only D and E remain. D is more clear. We have "their" after "workers", so i think is ok. So - D.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 111

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 04:44
vbalex wrote:
We must compare severance packages with severance packages, so only D and E remain. D is more clear. We have "their" after "workers", so i think is ok. So - D.


'their last scheduled day in order to collect' is likely that the worker can select the day, which has the different meaning. So I will go with E

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 250

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 9

Location: Kolkata
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 09:22
In E, the word "that" modifies "day", which is wrong. Workers are not scheduled to collect days.

Hence D.
_________________

Thanks
rampuria

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 30

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Location: Bangkok
Schools: ROSS(Accepted) CBS-J
Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 08:05
I will hit D as well
For me, e is less consise than D
_________________

Fight Force For Future

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2008, 04:22
tarek99 wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

a) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package

b) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company's severance package

c) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers

d) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

e) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers -> this is perfect



Explain your answer.
thanks

I dont Find D correct since last scheduled day is awkward changes meaning

IMO E

Whats the OA ?looking forward to getting OE tOO !!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1512

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 03:36
OA is D

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1512

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 05:07
nikhiljain05 wrote:
spriya wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

a) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package

b) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company's severance package

c) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers

d) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

e) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers -> this is perfect



Explain your answer.
thanks

I dont Find D correct since last scheduled day is awkward changes meaning

IMO E

Whats the OA ?looking forward to getting OE tOO !!!

Don't you think "they" in "E" is ambigious


well, "they" in option E wasn't my concern. I'll tell you why I didn't like option E. In option E, we have "the last day that they are scheduled to collect." I didn't like "that" in option E because it made this sentence imply that they are also other last days that they are NOT scheduled to collect. You want to talk about ALL last days, so option D corrects this logical error.
hope this helps

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2008, 17:58
"in order to" in D is ambigous, it sounds wordy also.
what's wrong with C? It's direct and simple.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1512

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 05:20
ahpobin wrote:
"in order to" in D is ambigous, it sounds wordy also.
what's wrong with C? It's direct and simple.


what's wrong with C? well it's illogically comparing "severance packages" to "automobile company." you want to compare packages to packages.

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 07:20
I dont agree with the OA !!!

i have this question in 1000sc and it says answer is E

Again as said by tarek ,that is meant to seggregate the days into two types ,one scheduled to collect packages the others not scheduled !!!

again we dont want their last day which implies workers last day ,inorder to collect appears as a disconnect !!!

clearly E
tarek whats the source of this OA and OE
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 07:28
spriya wrote:
I dont agree with the OA !!!

i have this question in 1000sc and it says answer is E

Again as said by tarek ,that is meant to seggregate the days into two types ,one scheduled to collect packages the others not scheduled !!!

again we dont want their last day which implies workers last day ,inorder to collect appears as a disconnect !!!

clearly E
tarek whats the source of this OA and OE

I got this on net !!!OA is said to be D but E is also not wrong !!!can anyone suggest any inputs on Why D is good !!!im not liking inorder to construction on D!!!

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/unl ... t2001.html
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 960

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 5

Re: SC: Gmatprep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2008, 09:41
I chose E at first, but D is definitely the answer.

Read this and you will see why.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/100 ... t1811.html

spriya wrote:
spriya wrote:
I dont agree with the OA !!!

i have this question in 1000sc and it says answer is E

Again as said by tarek ,that is meant to seggregate the days into two types ,one scheduled to collect packages the others not scheduled !!!

again we dont want their last day which implies workers last day ,inorder to collect appears as a disconnect !!!

clearly E
tarek whats the source of this OA and OE

I got this on net !!!OA is said to be D but E is also not wrong !!!can anyone suggest any inputs on Why D is good !!!im not liking inorder to construction on D!!!

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/unl ... t2001.html

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 5

Re: SC: Gmatprep   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2008, 09:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.