GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

     February 21, 2019

     February 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

     February 23, 2019

     February 23, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 66
Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 15:30
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (01:23) correct 32% (01:34) wrong based on 71 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typically costing less than $100, many newly discovered genetic defects require tests that are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.

A. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typically costing less than $100, many newly discovered genetic defects require tests that are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.

B. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000.

C. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000.

D. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.

E. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 139
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jan 2014, 19:34
Only in D and E is routine tests .... being compared with tests. A, B and C are wrong (comparisons)
In E, diseases cost 100$, which is logically wrong.
So, left with D (though which clause doesn't touch the noun, still, it is the best of the choices)
_________________

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??


Originally posted by sivasanjeev on 27 Jan 2014, 19:27.
Last edited by sivasanjeev on 27 Jan 2014, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Jan 2014, 13:57
1
1
I'd like to know the source of this problem as I have a few problems with it. With that said, here's my take on the question:

A. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typically costing less than $100, many newly discovered genetic defects require tests that are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000. Comparing dissimilar things - Routine tests vs genetic defects

B. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000. Same problem as above - this time comparing diabetes/high cholesterol with tests

C. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000. Same problem as above

D. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000. This seems like the most logical/reasonable choice. The only iffy part about it is the which clause. We usually learn that which refers to the closest preceding noun, although in this case one can make the argument that the clause refers not to the closest noun (cholesterol) as is usually the case but rather "routine tests" as "cost" in the which clause signifies plurality.

E. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000. Incorrectly attributes the $100 to the diseases rather than to the tests. If it was instead written "Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, tests that typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.", I would definitely have chosen E.

I'd love to see the OA or even an OE if there is one. Also would love to have one of the frequent contributors or people who work at the various gmatprep companies chime in!
_________________

770+ is the goal.

Feel free to give me kudos if I was helpful! :]


Originally posted by comingup on 27 Jan 2014, 19:30.
Last edited by comingup on 28 Jan 2014, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 66
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 01:11
sivasanjeev wrote:
Only in D and E is routine tests .... being compared with tests. A, B and C are wrong (comparisons)
In E, diseases cost 100$, which is logically wrong.
So, left with D (though which clause doesn't touch the noun, still, it is the best of the choices)

Hi sivasanjeev,
Thanks for your reply.
In option (d) as well, 'which' refers to the diseases but rather to 'high cholestrol' as it is placed closest to 'which'. Here also the meaning is same that the diseases cost $100. So, I don't think there is any logical difference between the two.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 66
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 01:17
comingup wrote:
I'd like to know the source of this problem as I have a few problems with it. With that said, here's my take on the question:

A. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typically costing less than $100, many newly discovered genetic defects require tests that are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000. Comparing dissimilar things - Routine tests vs genetic defects

B. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000. Same problem as above - this time comparing diabetes/high cholesterol with tests

C. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000. Same problem as above

D. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000. This seems like the most logical/reasonable choice. The only iffy part about it is the which clause. We usually learn that which refers to the closest preceding noun, although in this case one can make the argument that the clause refers not to the closest noun (cholesterol) as is usually the case but rather the entire as "cost" in the which clause signifies plurality.

E. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000. Incorrectly attributes the $100 to the diseases rather than to the tests. If it was instead written "Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, tests that typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.", I would definitely have chosen E.

I'd love to see the OA or even an OE if there is one. Also would love to have one of the frequent contributors or people who work at the various gmatprep companies chime in!

Hi comingup,
I have already mentioned the source. I was confused between option (d) and option (e) and that's why I posted this question.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 23
R: K
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 07:39
1
Sukant2010 wrote:
sivasanjeev wrote:
Only in D and E is routine tests .... being compared with tests. A, B and C are wrong (comparisons)
In E, diseases cost 100$, which is logically wrong.
So, left with D (though which clause doesn't touch the noun, still, it is the best of the choices)

Hi sivasanjeev,
Thanks for your reply.
In option (d) as well, 'which' refers to the diseases but rather to 'high cholestrol' as it is placed closest to 'which'. Here also the meaning is same that the diseases cost $100. So, I don't think there is any logical difference between the two.



Hi
In option D - Which is referring to "test"

Option D

Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000

IMO - Structure is as under:

Modifier 2 (Which typically ....) jumps over Modifier 1 (for diabetes or high cholesterol).

Unlike routine tests (noun) for diabetes or high cholesterol (noun modifier modifying tests), which (noun Modifier modifying tests) typically cost less than $100

Please appreciate that NOUN MODIFIERS CAN MODIFY SLIGHTLY FAR AWAY NOUN

Please refer to an excellent article by E-Gmat Experts at noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 66
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2014, 01:38
CARK wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:
sivasanjeev wrote:
Only in D and E is routine tests .... being compared with tests. A, B and C are wrong (comparisons)
In E, diseases cost 100$, which is logically wrong.
So, left with D (though which clause doesn't touch the noun, still, it is the best of the choices)

Hi sivasanjeev,
Thanks for your reply.
In option (d) as well, 'which' refers to the diseases but rather to 'high cholestrol' as it is placed closest to 'which'. Here also the meaning is same that the diseases cost $100. So, I don't think there is any logical difference between the two.



Hi
In option D - Which is referring to "test"

Option D

Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000

IMO - Structure is as under:

Modifier 2 (Which typically ....) jumps over Modifier 1 (for diabetes or high cholesterol).

Unlike routine tests (noun) for diabetes or high cholesterol (noun modifier modifying tests), which (noun Modifier modifying tests) typically cost less than $100

Please appreciate that NOUN MODIFIERS CAN MODIFY SLIGHTLY FAR AWAY NOUN

Please refer to an excellent article by E-Gmat Experts at noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Thanks

Hi CARK,
Thanks a lot, it was much helpful.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 182
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2014, 09:06
Sukant2010 wrote:
Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typically costing less than $100, many newly discovered genetic defects require tests that are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.

A. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typically costing less than $100, many newly discovered genetic defects require tests that are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.

B. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000.

C. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000.

D. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.

E. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.


Option D is correct here;

Need to compare apples to apples.

A. - Not good Comparison
B. - Not good Comparison
C. - Not good Comparison
D. - Good Comparison
E. - Good Comparison, but lack of modifier before diseases

hih
_________________

Think outside the box

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2014
Posts: 87
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2014, 11:02
I've got D as well. Agree with CARK's explanation.

Great question, thanks for sharing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2012
Posts: 275
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2014, 12:34
Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typically costing less than $100, many newly discovered genetic defects require tests that are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.

A. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typically costing less than $100, many newly discovered genetic defects require tests that are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.

B. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000.

C. Unlike diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically require tests costing less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive and have a “list price” close to $5000.

D. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, which typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.

E. Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, diseases that typically cost less than $100, the tests required for many newly discovered genetic defects are phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $5000.
_________________

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire


Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 439
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 10:06
sudarshan22, aragonn, broall, generis, hazelnut, Vyshak

Can anyone pls uodate OA of this question.

Thanks,
Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 2490
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 10:29
ammuseeru wrote:

Can anyone pls uodate OA of this question.

Thanks,

Added OA. Thanks.
_________________

To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people just exist.

Oscar Wilde

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2019, 10:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, typic

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.