Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 04:08
Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

(A) company, whose research was based on
(B) company, which researched
(C) company, in its research of
(D) company's research, having been based on
(E) company's research on

in A, B and C, there is a comparison issue while in D there is awkward and wordy construction. So answer is E.

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.99
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 00:16
1. Unlike A, E has the correct parallel structure that is
a. Unlike X(noun), Y(noun)
b. (noun modifier - prepositional phrase) on crashes modifies research vs (term 1)
(noun modifier verb-ed) conducted by modifies research (term 2) ->Am I correct?

2. However, I am still unconvinced of the meaning for choice E. It seems the meaning between the underline and non-underline portion is different.

I read through the definition of based on , and as follows
based on means -
If you base something on facts or ideas, you use those facts or ideas to develop it:
The film is based on a short story by Thomas Mann.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... sth-on-sth
It simply implies that based on = based upon/created upon certain facts

Unlike E, A conveys the meaning of comparison if I were to replace the phrase as follows based on the above definition.
Can you shed the light on how to read the structure in E, if the way I have substituted is wrong, such that the meaning of two terms are the same?

A.
(term1)Automobile company 's research is based on (based upon/created upon) facts or ideas of crashes incidents
(term2)The research conducted by the insurance company took into account (based on/upon/created upon) such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

E.
(term1)Automobile company 's research is on (topic related to) crashes involving spot car's incidents
(term2) The research conducted by the insurance company took into account (based on/upon/created upon such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

KUDOS
are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2019, 17:48
Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes involving sport utility vehicles, the research conducted by the insurance company took into account such factors as a driver's age, sex, and previous driving record.

(A) company, whose research was based on
(B) company, which researched
(C) company, in its research of
(D) company's research, having been based on
(E) company's research on

By looking at the question we can see two things clearly : research of/on: Correct is you do research on something.
So: C out.
D. having been not acceptable in GMAT.
A. not parallel, same for B.

If this post is helpful for you please press the kudos button
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2019, 17:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Unlike the automobile company, whose research was based on crashes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics