GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UofT Rotman($) or NYU Stern?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
UofT Rotman($) or NYU Stern?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 11:27
After rejected by Kellogg yesterday, my options are now limited to offers from Rotman and Stern, both FT. Currently, I am a Canadian PR, still need to fulfill the 'living 3 out of 5 years' requirement to get the citizenship, that said, I have to return to Canada for work if I decide to attend Stern.

My career goal is to work in consulting and I will definitely work hard towards it (ideally MBB for sure, or Tier 2 S&O), but I know it is not easy to land a job at MBB based on the recent employment stats from Rotman. While Stern shows outstanding employment report, it is mainly US based. I am not sure if an MBA from Stern can help with my career in Canada, or will it even hurt because I won't be able to build up a strong network in Canada during the 2 years in school?

Tuition/Living Cost is not a concern here, the main debate is just which school could better serve my career growth. Thanks!!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: UofT Rotman($) or NYU Stern?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 13:14
The rule of thumb is you go to school where you want to work/live at.... and it seems if you can stick around Canada for another 2 years, you would get CA citizenship. Can't go wrong with that.

At the same time, you probably know that Canadian companies place quite a bit more emphasis on the work experience rather than a degree/MBA when they are hiring and salaries are not as exuberant as they are in the US....

My understanding with Rotman is that it's gotten very popular after the US visa scare with internationals and H1B quotas but I feel its career services and recruiting machine is quite a bit behind the recent growth and popularity, leaving a number of grads still without internships or jobs. At the same time, I think Rotman would be more beneficial than Stern in helping find a job in Canada.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.83

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 19:47
Kind of a tough one given citizenship situation

I looked at the Rotman average pay— seemed a bit on the low end. If you’re not willing to go to US long-term though, I guess that makes sense.

Or just move to US! I may be at Stern, hope to meet you!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 22:45
I have been admitted to both programs, and would like to explore Canadian opportunities as well.
I guess Stern has a higher reputation internationally, and Canadian employers, if they do consider MBAs, will not look down to Stern reputation during recruitment. By doing so, you will be able to explore opportunities on both sides of the border.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 23:30
I think that Rotman is clearly a better choice in this situation. The gap in reputation between Stern and Rotman is not that significant globally, let alone in Canada where Rotman is arguably one of the best MBA programs.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UofT Rotman($) or NYU Stern?   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2019, 23:30

UofT Rotman($) or NYU Stern?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste