GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 May 2019, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Usage of PastPerfect.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Usage of PastPerfect.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 06:52
Does GMAT allows the usage of Past Perfect when the sequence of events are comprehensible with usage of either after or before?

Example:(picked from Aristotle SC Grail)

Simple Past: Before John won the lottery, he was a poor locksmith.
Past Perfect: Before John won the lottery, he had been a poor locksmith.

I guess GMAT prefers simplicity, and in above example 'Before' gives a clear idea about the sequence of events. IMO rewritten version in P.Perfect is unnecessary.
And interestingly, SC grail prefers Past perfect version as correct over to simple past.

FYI: MGMAT suggests to prefer simple past that makes sense to me.

Pros out there share your opinions.. and please clear the clouds for me! :(

Thanks
G
Re: Usage of PastPerfect.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 12:32
snorkeler wrote:
Does GMAT allows the usage of Past Perfect when the sequence of events are comprehensible with usage of either after or before?

I guess GMAT prefers simplicity, and in above example 'Before' gives a clear idea about the sequence of events. IMO rewritten version in P.Perfect is unnecessary.
And interestingly, SC grail prefers Past perfect version as correct over to simple past.

Thanks

Dear snorkeler,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

In general, the GMAT is against redundancy of all kinds. Toward that end, it leans away from use of the past perfect when other elements clearly make the time-sequence obvious. Thus:

Simple Past: Before John won the lottery, he was a poor locksmith. = This would be 100% acceptable on the GMAT SC.

Past Perfect: Before John won the lottery, he had been a poor locksmith. = This is not completely wrong. If this were an answer choice in a SC, it couldn't be eliminated just on the basis of using the past perfect. The GMAT probably would include other mistakes with the past perfect here, to eliminate it, but it is possible that the past perfect could be part of a correct answer.

It is 100% false to say that the Past Perfect is preferred in this context. The Simple Past is preferred, although the Past Perfect could be acceptable.

I would recommend trusting MGMAT and Magoosh as authorities on GMAT SC. Here's a free sample lesson from Magoosh on another topic:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/944-su ... ve-clauses

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Usage of PastPerfect.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 16:46
snorkeler wrote:

Thanks

This isn't the kind of issue that you want to base a decision on while doing an SC problem. It's possible that the GMAT prefers one form over another, but in this situation, both are grammatically correct. (The grammatical rule for using the past perfect is exactly what you've said - it's grammatical to use it if and only if the sentence shows a sequence of events, all of which happened in the past. In that case, you use it for the earlier of two events.) If either option is grammatically correct, even if one is slightly wordier or more idiomatic than the other, then you're almost certainly dealing with a false split that's been put into the problem to mislead you and disguise the real issue. Instead of using something like this, keep searching the answer choices for a grammar issue where one side is clearly (logically or grammatically) incorrect.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Usage of PastPerfect.   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2016, 16:46

Usage of PastPerfect.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap