GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Feb 2020, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

USC Marshall Vs. CMU Tepper, Post MBA healthcare/west coast

new topic post reply Update application status  

Tepper VS. Marshall?

• 33% [2]
  • 66% [4]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
USC Marshall Vs. CMU Tepper, Post MBA healthcare/west coast  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 15:00
Hi GMATCLUB!

I'm stuck in a predicament, I'm looking to go into the biotech/pharma industry on the west coast post MBA. I'd like to go into commercialization/downstream product management. I'm also starting to look into the possibility of healthcare consulting, namely PWC, ZS, LEK, IMS, etc. Knowing that I want to stay in California would USC be a better option? I'm leaning towards Tepper because of its quant focus/prestige/ranking. Whats more important?

(USC) Location vs. (CMU) quant focus/prestige/ranking

Coming from the west coast, i'm surprised that USC has a bad reputation, as USC has a GREAT name in california. Let me know what you think GC!
Intern
Intern
Re: USC Marshall Vs. CMU Tepper, Post MBA healthcare/west coast  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2015, 23:17
any comments? deadline is coming up and i'd really value anyones opinion on GMAT club
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 06:59
Because of your location preference I voted for USC Marshall.

Marshall will likely have a stronger reputation in the California areas you're looking to work post-MBA and I don't see Tepper's quantitative reputation beating Marshall out on access to alumni and job opportunities for what you're looking for.

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 10:14
dtse86 wrote:
Because of your location preference I voted for USC Marshall.

Marshall will likely have a stronger reputation in the California areas you're looking to work post-MBA and I don't see Tepper's quantitative reputation beating Marshall out on access to alumni and job opportunities for what you're looking for.

Hi dtse86, thanks for the response. I totally agree with you! I really feel that Marshall would give me a great place to focus on California.

The biggest thing is, the career center at Tepper seems to really care about the students, and would really help mold and prepare me for success in interviews and career guidance. Marshall is doing some rebuilding for their career center, and seems to lack the necessary tools to be effective for students. Although, I believe and hear that change is coming and the career center is making gains. Also, the clubs have really taken the opportunity to shine and mitigate the lack of career center. Do you think the career center should play a big part in my decision?
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 10:31
Having good support from the career center can be nice, but a lot of times, even with a good career center, a lot of the work is on you and the networking you do in the professional clubs. Especially if you intend to work for a company that doesn't actively recruit from the school.

I don't know what Marshall's recruiting looks like, but I'm sure that most of the major MBA recruiters visit the campus and you'll have access to an alumni database so that you can reach out and network on your own as well.

I think the your best bet of identifying your employment chances are to look at the employment reports, and talk to current students and alumni. Find someone that's in the industry you're looking to enter post-MBA. They'll be able to give you the best idea of what to expect in your job search while in school.

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 12:42
Ultimately, it's the students who get the jobs, not the career center. The USC degree is going to have way more pull on the West Coast than CMU will. You'll also be able to meet and network with potential employers, something you really shouldn't discount. And I don't think there's a substantive difference in prestige or opportunities between these schools, they're in the same tier.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: USC Marshall Vs. CMU Tepper, Post MBA healthcare/west coast   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2015, 12:42

USC Marshall Vs. CMU Tepper, Post MBA healthcare/west coast

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste