GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Feb 2020, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

USC Marshall ($$$) vs. UT McCombs (no money)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
USC Marshall ($$$) vs. UT McCombs (no money)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 09:40
I got accepted to USC Marshall on a full tuition scholarship and UT McCombs with no money (tried negotiating but didn't get anything). I'm torn between the two schools. I could see myself in either LA or Austin long term. I've visited both schools and have a slight preference for McCombs but could also see myself at Marshall. I am a career switcher working looking to either do human capital consulting or working on talent/HR strategy post-MBA and then working in nonprofit management long term. McCombs is better ranked and their career service center is robust. Marshall's network is very strong in LA but the school's rank and career resource center worry me. The debt difference is a huge factor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: MBB Consultant
Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: USC Marshall ($$$) vs. UT McCombs (no money)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 11:22
I would recommend looking at this excellent post from bb which goes through a lot of the decision factors for choosing between a better-ranked school with no scholarship and a lower-ranked school with scholarship.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/value-of-a-top-10-mba-213365.html

In my opinion, I would say that the full scholarship outweighs the difference in rankings. Marshall will give you access to a lot of the opportunities you are seeking with the upside of not having a huge debt to cope with afterwards.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 12:01
Congratulations!

Both programs have regional strengths and lesser national footprint than top 10's for example. I would caution to do a bit more research about your target companies and places that hire people looking to pursue those types of goals. So many of them exist in LA?

CA and especially LA have been losing many of the large businesses in the last 10-20 years. Only around 10 Fortune 500 are headquartered in LA. (Been a little while since I looked. This list from 2012 days 15: Fortune 500 companies headquartered in L.A.
https://goo.gl/maps/CCTz8eaGXCm ). That's 2-3% of the total while being the second largest metro area in the country. CA overall is weaker with large business due to Econ policies, taxes and cost. http://fortune.com/2015/06/15/states-mo ... companies/

The point is that LA is a small business heaven (perhaps not a coincidence that Wilshire 5000 rating originated there) and finding a corporate job would require starting lower or going further away (does not mean you can't work for a smaller agency) but I am just trying to encourage you to research it before you make the decision. What about TX? I am on my iPhone so not equipped to do a whole lot of research. Take a look. May be equally bad or a contrast.

However if the above caveat is not an issue, I think Marshall' is a great choice - hard to beat a full scholarship with a bit of rankings.

A situation where Mccombs would win would be something along the lines of pursuing a track that is strongly represented there, such as tech, pursuing a company that recruits in McCombs but not in Marshall, or being married to a Texan ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk App
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 19:28
Here are the Geo spreads for both schools. Marshall has 24% unknown, which is a bit odd to have so high.
Attachments

marshall.png
marshall.png [ 23.11 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]

McCombs.png
McCombs.png [ 27.05 KiB | Viewed 2594 times ]

comparison.png
comparison.png [ 13.21 KiB | Viewed 2595 times ]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 19:22
Thanks for your input and responses.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 20:15
I would go with USC given the large scholarship difference. If you have questions about the career services I would make sure to be a bit more proactive in how you handle things. Reaching out to alums early, identifying champions in career services, and networking among companies of interest should help you address any perceived career services issues.

Congrats!

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: USC Marshall ($$$) vs. UT McCombs (no money)   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2016, 20:15

USC Marshall ($$$) vs. UT McCombs (no money)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste