It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 01:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V01-12

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128493 [0], given: 12179

V01-12 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:54
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (00:36) correct 57% (00:46) wrong based on 180 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Controversial mortgage laws passed last year state that, at any point during the maturation period of the loan, if the person in whose name the loan is taken is not able to make the payments, that person’s spouse will have responsibilities that include paying the balance.

A. will have responsibilities that include
B. will be responsible to pay
C. is responsible to pay
D. will be responsible for paying
E. will have responsibility to pay
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re V01-12 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:54
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

Controversial mortgage laws passed last year state that, at any point during the maturation period of the loan, if the person in whose name the loan is taken is not able to make the payments, that person’s spouse will have responsibilities that include paying the balance.

C. is responsible to pay
E. will have responsibility to pay

This sentence is confusing because it contains many prepositional phrases nestled within each other. At the core, however, the sentence is testing the ability to recognize the conditional tense created by the word if that begins the series of phrases after the comma; this if causes the underlined portion to need simple present (general rule) or future tense (ceratin future event) in order to agree. The sentence also tests the correct use of the idiomatic verb to be responsible for.
  1. This phrase is wordy and unnecessary.
  2. The usage "responsibility to " is wrong when referring to an action - the correct usage is "responsibility for ".
  3. The usage "responsibility to " is wrong when referring to an action - the correct usage is "responsibility for ".
  4. This option correctly uses the preposition for and the –ing form of the verb to pay, as well as the future tense signaled by the conditional word if.
  5. The usage "responsibility to " is wrong when referring to an action - the correct usage is "responsibility for ".

Answer: D

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: V01-12 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 01:38
Why (E) cannot be correct?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 40

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 14:14
Verbal moderators please help...why is option 'B' not correct?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 40

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 203 [5], given: 31

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 20:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
p2bhokie wrote:

Hi,

I am not a verbal expert, but here are 2 cents from my side.
You are responsible to someone and you are responsible for something.
"paying the balance" is something and not someone, hence B is wrong. Correct answer is D.

Hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 203 [5], given: 31

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Human Resources (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2015, 08:19
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Controversial mortgage laws passed last year state that, if at any point during the maturation period of the loan the person in whose name it is taken is not able to meet the payments, that person’s spouse will have responsibilities that include paying the balance.

C. is responsible to pay
E. is responsible for paying

This sentence is confusing because it contains many prepositional phrases nestled within each other. At the core, however, the sentence is testing the ability to recognize the conditional tense created by the word if that begins the series of phrases after the comma; this if causes the underlined portion to need future tense in order to agree. The sentence also tests the correct use of the idiomatic verb to be responsible for.
  2. The preposition for should be used with the –ing form of the verb to pay
  3. If in the first phrase after the comma creates a conditional tense that requires a future-tense form in the underlined portion.
  4. This option correctly uses the preposition for and the –ing form of the verb to pay, as well as the future tense signaled by the conditional word if.
  5. The word if in the sentence signals a conditional tense that requires a future-tense form in the underlined portion.

Hello,

Can someone explain why we cant use "will be responsible to pay" here?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
aimtoteach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give Kudos if you find this post useful.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 17:37
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I think choice E is correct answer. Conditional tense can have any one of the following forms
If Present then Present -> used mostly to state fact
If Present/Present Perfect then Future(Will) -> To indicate certainty.
Per my understanding, the sentence is talking about what LAW stated i.e. factual information. Hence, construction of form If Present then Present(IS) makes more sense.
Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

Also between TO PAY and FOR PAYING, FOR PAYING should be used as TO PAY will indicate purpose and that is not the intended meaning. FOR PAYING answers question FOR WHAT and is the correct form in context of this sentence.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 23:28
desaichinmay22 wrote:
p2bhokie wrote:

Hi,

I am not a verbal expert, but here are 2 cents from my side.
You are responsible to someone and you are responsible for something.
"paying the balance" is something and not someone, hence B is wrong. Correct answer is D.

Hope it helps.

Thanks, that helped :)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 70

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 28

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 08:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kunalsh007 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I think choice E is correct answer. Conditional tense can have any one of the following forms
If Present then Present -> used mostly to state fact
If Present/Present Perfect then Future(Will) -> To indicate certainty.
Per my understanding, the sentence is talking about what LAW stated i.e. factual information. Hence, construction of form If Present then Present(IS) makes more sense.
Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

Also between TO PAY and FOR PAYING, FOR PAYING should be used as TO PAY will indicate purpose and that is not the intended meaning. FOR PAYING answers question FOR WHAT and is the correct form in context of this sentence.

I think you have mentioned it in your post itself why 'is' is not right in this context.
The person will be responsible for paying. ( she will become responsible for the payment)
The person is not inherently (universal fact) responsible for the payment.
I hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 01:20
Link to solve this problem :- https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 15996.html

After Reading this u will be able to solve all these types of questions

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 141

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 01:06
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Controversial mortgage laws passed last year state that, if at any point during the maturation period of the loan the person in whose name it is taken is not able to meet the payments, that person’s spouse will have responsibilities that include paying the balance.

C. is responsible to pay
E. is responsible for paying

This sentence is confusing because it contains many prepositional phrases nestled within each other. At the core, however, the sentence is testing the ability to recognize the conditional tense created by the word if that begins the series of phrases after the comma; this if causes the underlined portion to need future tense in order to agree. The sentence also tests the correct use of the idiomatic verb to be responsible for.
  2. The preposition for should be used with the –ing form of the verb to pay
  3. If in the first phrase after the comma creates a conditional tense that requires a future-tense form in the underlined portion.
  5. The word if in the sentence signals a conditional tense that requires a future-tense form in the underlined portion.

Why is B wrong? why 'to' correct instead of 'for'?

Please give examples. Detailed explanation will be appreciated

Kindly support by giving Kudos, if my post helped you!

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 141

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 09:23
harishbiyani8888 wrote:
Why is B wrong? why 'to' correct instead of 'for'?
Please give examples. Detailed explanation will be appreciated

Even I committed the same mistake.
Please refer
to-verb-vs-for-verb-ing-144017-20.html

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 75

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2015, 16:42
There is a flaw in the explanation.

We know that we have a law:
if X happens, B happens. It is a rule. Thus, we must use conditional 0, since we are talking about something that will happen for certain.

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 00:03
The Stmnt is a rule which expresses a condition.
if at any point during the maturation period of the loan the person in whose name it is taken is not able to meet the payments, that person’s spouse will have responsibilities that include paying the balance

So since this RULE of Law is true at any given time, the then clause should be represented in simple pre tense

Pls explain my understanding gap

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I am enjoying the GMAT club TESTS and I find the questions are very clever. For this question, I have not been able to find a sufficient answer. I have read all the links above and I am also tried googling the question. I am still not sure about the usage of "to do" vs. "for doing"

In my opinion, the best example was presented here: https://www.italki.com/question/47098 (also referenced above in the MGMAT link referenced above)

1) I have to thank him for doing me that favor (notice that here the favor has already been done)
2) I have to thank him to do me that favor (notice that here the favor has not been done yet)

Based on this understanding and using this example and using the example above, I would argue that it should be "to pay" not "for paying"

I have been grappling with this issue for the past 24 hours, and I still feel lost. I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 08:31
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I disagree with the suggested answer here.

Option D changes the original meaning quite significantly. The original sentence says that the spouse will have more than one responsibility, one of which is the paying of the balance. Option D changes this to ignore the other responsibility or responsibilities. Although option A is wordier, it is the only option which retains the initial meaning. Option A is also a correct way to put across a more nuanced meaning.

Target GMAT 650. Please help by giving Kudos, it's free!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3278 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 07:32
arthearoth wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I disagree with the suggested answer here.

Option D changes the original meaning quite significantly. The original sentence says that the spouse will have more than one responsibility, one of which is the paying of the balance. Option D changes this to ignore the other responsibility or responsibilities. Although option A is wordier, it is the only option which retains the initial meaning. Option A is also a correct way to put across a more nuanced meaning.

In context of loan, it is practically sensible to consider that the repayment of the loan is the only responsibility of the spouse of the defaulter. Technically there could be other responsibilities, but probably the author of this question is not quite wrong in ignoring them. Consider the following sentences:

" If my father does not pay the loan, I shall have responsibilities that include paying the balance."
" If my father does not pay the loan, I shall be responsible for paying the loan."

In my view, the first sentence, although grammatically correct, is awkward and does not convey the intended the meaning as the second sentence does.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
V01-12 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 07:59
gameboy11887 wrote:
The Stmnt is a rule which expresses a condition.
if at any point during the maturation period of the loan the person in whose name it is taken is not able to meet the payments, that person’s spouse will have responsibilities that include paying the balance

So since this RULE of Law is true at any given time, the then clause should be represented in simple pre tense

Pls explain my understanding gap

Both simple present and simple future are correct in this context:
simple present: general rule (as you have correctly stated)
simple future: a certain event in future - since the spouse would be responsible in case of default after the law was passed, use of future is also alright.

Option E and the explanation have been modified to eliminate the above ambiguity.

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5448 [0], given: 112

V01-12 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 08:07
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NothingComes3asy wrote:
Hi all,

I am enjoying the GMAT club TESTS and I find the questions are very clever. For this question, I have not been able to find a sufficient answer. I have read all the links above and I am also tried googling the question. I am still not sure about the usage of "to do" vs. "for doing"

In my opinion, the best example was presented here: https://www.italki.com/question/47098 (also referenced above in the MGMAT link referenced above)

1) I have to thank him for doing me that favor (notice that here the favor has already been done)
2) I have to thank him to do me that favor (notice that here the favor has not been done yet)

Based on this understanding and using this example and using the example above, I would argue that it should be "to pay" not "for paying"

I have been grappling with this issue for the past 24 hours, and I still feel lost. I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Hi,

the answer to your query lies in the idiom 'reponsible to" or 'responsinle for'..

generally when used - you are resposible to SOMEONE and you are responsible for SOMETHING...
here we are talking of something so ans is for paying

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5448 [0], given: 112

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re V01-12 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 12:17
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Can you please explain, as to why the answer for the aforementioned question is not 'b'.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re V01-12   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2016, 12:17

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

V01-12

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap