It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V05-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128512 [0], given: 12179

V05-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:24
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (00:58) correct 51% (00:55) wrong based on 98 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During hot summer days to reduce the effect of sun’s ultraviolet rays on the skin, Dr. Steven suggests drinking warm cold water and to apply Argan oil on the face, which acts like a blocking agent, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.

A. to apply Argan oil on the face, which acts like a blocking agent, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.
B. applying Argan oil, which acts as a blocking agent on the face, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer and to fight the radiation.
C. applying Argan oil on the face, which acts as a blocking agent, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.
D. to apply Argan oil on the face, which acting like a blocking agent allows the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.
E. applying Argan oil on the face, which acting like a blocking agent allowing the skin time for building a protective layer fighting the radiation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128512 [0], given: 12179

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128512 [2], given: 12179

Re V05-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

During hot summer days to reduce the effect of sun’s ultraviolet rays on the skin, Dr. Steven suggests drinking warm cold water and to apply Argan oil on the face, which acts like a blocking agent, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.

A. to apply Argan oil on the face, which acts like a blocking agent, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.
B. applying Argan oil, which acts as a blocking agent on the face, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer and to fight the radiation.
C. applying Argan oil on the face, which acts as a blocking agent, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.
D. to apply Argan oil on the face, which acting like a blocking agent allows the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.
E. applying Argan oil on the face, which acting like a blocking agent allowing the skin time for building a protective layer fighting the radiation.

This question is testing your knowledge on modifiers. We have to choose an option which expresses the meaning clearly.
  1. The original sentence does not maintain parallelism. Dr. Steven suggests “drinking..” and “to apply..”
  2. This choice distorts the meaning of the original sentence. Answer choice nonsensically implies that "on the face" argan oil is acting as a blocking agent. But, actually argan oil acts as a blocking agent in general and not just on the face. By changing the placement of prepositional phrase we have distorted the meaning and logic of the sentence.
  3. This is the correct answer choice. It may appear that the relative pronoun “which” is modifying “face” but it does not make any sense. It is in fact modifying “Argan oil”; the placement of the prepositional phrase “on the face” is correct because it cannot be placed anywhere in the sentence without changing the intended meaning of the sentence. Answer choice maintains parallel structures and retains the original meaning and, thus the correct choice.
  4. Same error as (A), parallelism is not maintained. Moreover, ‘as’ marks the comparison better than “like”. The argan oil acts “as” a blocking agent and not “like” a blocking agent.
  5. E again uses “like” inappropriately; furthermore it lacks the main verb, making a fragment. Thus, this is also an incorrect choice.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128512 [2], given: 12179

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 35

Re: V05-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 03:35
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

This question is testing your knowledge on modifiers. We have to choose an option which expresses the meaning clearly.
  1. The original sentence does not maintain parallelism. Dr. Steven suggests “drinking..” and “to apply..”
  2. This choice distorts the meaning of the original sentence. Answer choice nonsensically implies that "on the face" argan oil is acting as a blocking agent. But, actually argan oil acts as a blocking agent in general and not just on the face. By changing the placement of prepositional phrase we have distorted the meaning and logic of the sentence.
  3. This is the correct answer choice. It may appear that the relative pronoun “which” is modifying “face” but it does not make any sense. It is in fact modifying “Argan oil”; the placement of the prepositional phrase “on the face” is correct because it cannot be placed anywhere in the sentence without changing the intended meaning of the sentence. Answer choice maintains parallel structures and retains the original meaning and, thus the correct choice.
  4. Same error as (A), parallelism is not maintained. Moreover, ‘as’ marks the comparison better than “like”. The argan oil acts “as” a blocking agent and not “like” a blocking agent.
  5. E again uses “like” inappropriately; furthermore it lacks the main verb, making a fragment. Thus, this is also an incorrect choice.

Answer: C

This question is really unusual after analyzing the explanation. At first, it seemed so obvious to eliminate C due to standard rules of grammar - , which modifies word immediately preceding it. In this case, face - which is nonsensical.
So the conclusion is - take rules not for granted but they fit as per the meaning of the sentence.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re V05-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 20:42
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I am not completely agreed with the solution.
It's true that 'on the face' is a prepositional phrase and 'which' can jump over it but 'on the face' actually modifies 'applying' and not 'Argan oil'. So, 'Argan oil on the face' is not a single noun phrase.
Moreover, 'on the face' can be placed after 'applying' w/o changing the intended meaning. This is a prrof that 'on the face' modifies the verb.
Still choice C looks the best, but somehow i ain't very satisfied with the Question.

Binit.

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 75

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16950 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 09:15

Kudos [?]: 16950 [0], given: 1961

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 14

GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44
V05-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 18:07
You see, between B and C I went for B.

B. applying Argan oil, which acts as a blocking agent on the face, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer and to fight the radiation. It is strange, I would prefer "Argan oil, which acts as a blocking agent, on the face". Anyway, saying that argan oil acts as a bloking agent on the face does not necessarilly restricts its blocking agent capabilities to the face. In my view it still makes sense.

C. applying Argan oil on the face, which acts as a blocking agent, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation. It seems that wich is modifying face, and this would make no sense

To sumarize, i think B makes more sense than C.

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 11:38
I think this is an excellent question that illustrates how an essential modifier TRUMPS the non essential modifier to touch the noun. Kudos!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V22
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 11:07
Another reason why option B is wrong is that in option B

(B)applying Argan oil, which acts as a blocking agent on the face, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer and to fight the radiation.

...."to build a protective layer " and "to fight the radiation " are made independent to each other , while in original sentence there is a casual relation b/w these two
(A)to apply Argan oil on the face, which acts like a blocking agent, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.

and this causality is maintained option (C)
(C)applying Argan oil on the face, which acts as a blocking agent, allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation.

that's why (C) is correct

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 11:45
Hi Guys,
I am still not convinced why B is incorrect and C is correct.
I see two errors here:
1. Placement of modifier: Oil is the blocking agent here, so by all means B should be preferred over C.
2. In the second part of sentence "to build a protective layer and to fight the radiation." "and"should not be here. C wins here.
But when we take both the errors , i would be more tempted towards B. I have not seen any exception to the modifier rule(Barring this). Can anybody help me on this.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3278 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 07:10
Vaibhav0607 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I am still not convinced why B is incorrect and C is correct.
I see two errors here:
1. Placement of modifier: Oil is the blocking agent here, so by all means B should be preferred over C.
2. In the second part of sentence "to build a protective layer and to fight the radiation." "and"should not be here. C wins here.
But when we take both the errors , i would be more tempted towards B. I have not seen any exception to the modifier rule(Barring this). Can anybody help me on this.

Your point is valid - The modifier "which..." should ideally touch "oil". However there are some exceptions to the modifier touch rule. One of them is as follows (excerpt from Manhattan SC guide):

In general, noun modifiers must touch their nouns. However, there are a few exceptions to the Touch Rule.
1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between.

The prepositional phrase "on the face" can be considered such a modifier.

Moreover in option B it is not clear that the oil is applied on the face.

Kudos [?]: 3278 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 3

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 2.71
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 13:14
Can someone please explain :
" allowing the skin time to build a protective layer to fight the radiation " -> which part of the sentence this phrase is modifying.

Secondly, I read somewhere that ING-modifier must make sense with the subject of the sentence.

EG:

Messi scored two goals , making his team win. -> Here making modifies the entire sentence but make sense with the Subject Messi as well.

Jeff became the CEO of the company , increasing his pay significantly. -> this is wrong as Increasing does not make sense with Jeff.

With the above concept " allowing the skin .. " is making sense with any subject ???

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re V05-02 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 03:19
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 2.71
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 04:10
Can some expert reply to my query above.

Re: V05-02   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 04:10

V05-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap