It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V05-17

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V05-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 05:22
Completely baffled by this. I think that option E if correct should be exactly opposite of what it is stating. Shouldn't breaking all the 4 big four companies lead to more variety in accounting services, as beautifully explained by ThangLe ? But the option E states that Each of the Big Four firms should not be broken into an audit and a non-audit section. Can someone please clarify this?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 11:09
siddharthharsh wrote:
Completely baffled by this. I think that option E if correct should be exactly opposite of what it is stating. Shouldn't breaking all the 4 big four companies lead to more variety in accounting services, as beautifully explained by ThangLe ? But the option E states that Each of the Big Four firms should not be broken into an audit and a non-audit section. Can someone please clarify this?

Whether the firms would be broken up is not the point - the CEO has already proposed that the firms must be broken up. The question asks to evaluate whether this plan to break up would be successful. The point E discusses about HOW the firms will be broken up - if the breaking happens in the way described in option E, then the plan would NOT be successful. Therefore the breaking up should NOT happen in the way described in E.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIM (S)
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V21
GPA: 3.9
Premium Member
Re V05-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 20:21
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Hi I am not able to understand the question and explanation. It will be great if someone can explain.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
V05-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 13:34
ushasi wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Hi I am not able to understand the question and explanation. It will be great if someone can explain.

This question has already been discussed in detail here (v05-184888.html#p1691300) and in the subsequent posts.

In case this explanation is not clear, please let us know which part you do not understand.
Intern
Intern
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 14:34
The question is

Which of the following stipulations would be most helpful in assuring the success of the CEOs’ plan to provide more variety in accounting services by breaking up the Big Four firms?

And the answer says that
(E) Correct. If each Big Four firm breaks into two – one performing audit services, and one performing non-audit services – then the field will still have 4 options for audit and 4 for non-audit. Hence there would not be effectively any expansion in the number of choices.

Here the CEO's plan is breaking up the "Big Four" firms into smaller operations so that non-audit services corporations will have significantly more options than they have now .
The option E effectively tells us that it will not increase the number of options .
So, can anyone tell me, how this options helps in assuring the success of the CEO's plan ?

Never give up !

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 08:02
urhowig wrote:
The question is

Which of the following stipulations would be most helpful in assuring the success of the CEOs’ plan to provide more variety in accounting services by breaking up the Big Four firms?

And the answer says that
(E) Correct. If each Big Four firm breaks into two – one performing audit services, and one performing non-audit services – then the field will still have 4 options for audit and 4 for non-audit. Hence there would not be effectively any expansion in the number of choices.

Here the CEO's plan is breaking up the "Big Four" firms into smaller operations so that non-audit services corporations will have significantly more options than they have now .
The option E effectively tells us that it will not increase the number of options .
So, can anyone tell me, how this options helps in assuring the success of the CEO's plan ?

Your query has already been explained here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/v05-184888.html#p1691300

If you have still doubts after reading this explanation, please post again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 05:26
ushasi wrote:

Please read the Question stem again.

We don't have to point out the Perfect Plan; just the Best One In the List. Hence, E is correct. Even though we'd have fewer options this way, it is still better than every other plan.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re V05-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 06:03
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Please recheck the wording of the Option "E" , in the GMAT Club test.
"Each of the Big Four firms should not be broken into an audit and a non-audit section"

v/s

"The Big Four firms should divide so that the audit and non-audit sections are not broken up."
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re V05-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 03:30
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation. The right option i.e. option E is worded wrongly. It should be -
Each of the Big Four firms should be broken into an audit and a non-audit section.

The additional 'not' in the original option set is wrong and confusing.
Retired Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests
V05-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 22:27
Sayantanc2k ,

Can you please let me know the strengthen concept that is hidden in this question.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 13:32
Sayantanc2k,

I am still confused here.

Option E, the way it appears on my screen says: "Each of the Big Four firms should not be broken into an audit and a non-audit section".

The corresponding OE says "If each Big Four firm breaks into two – one performing audit services, and one performing non-audit services – then the field will still have 4 options for audit and 4 for non-audit. Hence there would not be effectively any expansion in the number of choices".

I saw one of your comments that said that you have revised the OA and OE. I am not sure if the above is reflecting your revision, because it is still not making sense to me. What wrong will happen if each of the 4 big firms are broken into 2? We will have 8 firms and hence 4 choices for audit and 4 for non-audit, which solves the requirement.

Please explain.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re V05-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 00:40
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
Re V05-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 02:08
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re V05-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 03:58

+1 kudos if you find it useful :)

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2018, 20:05
sayantanc2k wrote:
navinc wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. There is an error - it says "sections are NOT broken up".

kirbygilliam wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. The answer here states "The Big Four firms should divide so that the audit and non-audit sections are not broken up". When really this is the opposite of the right answer according to the solution. I think the "not" is incorrect and should be removed from the answer.

Made changes in option 5 - in OA and in OE. Please let me know whether the question makes sense now.

why do I still see the option in my test as "Each of the Big Four firms should not be broken into an audit and a non-audit section.". I'm not sure of what changes were made. I still don't understand the solution to this question.
Re: V05-17   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2018, 20:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

V05-17

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap