GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 08:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V05-37

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
V05-37 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (00:44) correct 55% (01:09) wrong based on 170 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Instead of accepting the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha went towards the path of complete awareness to see whether he could achieve a state of enlightenment, having been sent by his inner instincts.

A. Instead of accepting the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha went towards the path of complete awareness to see whether he could achieve a state of enlightenment, having been sent by his inner instincts.
B. Rather than accepting the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha was sent by his inner instincts to see if he could achieve a state of enlightenment by going towards the path of complete awareness.
C. Instead of accepting the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha was sent towards the path of complete awareness by his inner instincts to see if he could achieve a state of complete awareness.
D. Rather than accept the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha went towards the path of complete awareness to see whether he could achieve a state of enlightenment, having been sent by his inner instincts.
E. Rather than accept the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha was sent by his inner instincts to see if he could achieve a state of enlightenment by going towards the path of complete awareness.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re V05-37 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:26
Official Solution:

Instead of accepting the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha went towards the path of complete awareness to see whether he could achieve a state of enlightenment, having been sent by his inner instincts.

A. Instead of accepting the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha went towards the path of complete awareness to see whether he could achieve a state of enlightenment, having been sent by his inner instincts.
B. Rather than accepting the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha was sent by his inner instincts to see if he could achieve a state of enlightenment by going towards the path of complete awareness.
C. Instead of accepting the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha was sent towards the path of complete awareness by his inner instincts to see if he could achieve a state of complete awareness.
D. Rather than accept the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha went towards the path of complete awareness to see whether he could achieve a state of enlightenment, having been sent by his inner instincts.
E. Rather than accept the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha was sent by his inner instincts to see if he could achieve a state of enlightenment by going towards the path of complete awareness.

1. This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “went.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the better choice.
  2. This choice contains the same errors as in (A). "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about acheiving a state of enlightenment.
  3. This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “was sent”. When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the better choice. Even if “instead of” were correct, the construction "X instead of Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Finally, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. "Whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty.
  4. Correct. This choice uses the construction “X rather than Y” to correctly compare the parallel active verbs “accept” and “went.” The uncertainty about acheiving a state of enlightenment is correctly indicated by the word “whether.”
  5. The construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this answer choice pairs an active verb ("accept") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about achieving a state of enlightenment. On the GMAT “if” is preferred as a conditional and “whether” to express uncertainty about certain event.

Answer: D

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: V05-37 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 00:44
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I am sorry but I have to ask :
Parallelism implies same verb tense, correct ?
went = past simple
accept = present perfect

Am I wrong ?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 22:59
Refer to the sentence :Rather than accepting the throne of Kapilavastu, Lord Buddha was sent by his inner instincts to see if he could achieve a state of enlightenment by going towards the path of complete awareness.
As per the explanation ... only one error ( parallelism error is listed.........Rather than X , Y ...., However, in my understanding use of passive voice is also incorrect here....

Kindly clarify ....whether the below sentence is correct ....
Rather than accept the throne of Kapilvastu, lord Buddha was sent by his inner instincts to see whether he could achieve a state of enlightenment by going towards the path of complete awareness .

In my understanding ....use of passive voice here ....Lord Buddha was sent ...... is wrong here...

never give up ...Please give Kudos if you like the post ......

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 21:25
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. Final answer choice explanation has a misspelling, "weather" instead of "whether."
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2016, 19:25
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 21:18
Bunuel Sir, a very good question.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIMA (D)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 08:50
I don't agree with the explanation. It seems Explanation mixes two questions

Option choice B
to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

Option choice D
The uncertainty about reaching India by travelling west is correctly indicated by the word “whether.

No where in the question mentioned about reaching India by travelling west.

Option choice E
“weather” instead of whether.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 11:31
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
I don't agree with the explanation. It seems Explanation mixes two questions

Option choice B
to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

Option choice D
The uncertainty about reaching India by travelling west is correctly indicated by the word “whether.

No where in the question mentioned about reaching India by travelling west.

Option choice E
“weather” instead of whether.

Corrected. Thank you for pointing out.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 05:52
Hi Bunuel,

While the explanation is overall sound. Isn't the sequence of participle modifier incorrect in option D.
MGmat SC book says that for adverbial participle modifiers- "the information presented earlier in the sentence lead to or results in the information presented later in the sentence"

My question is
1) Is this rule being violated here in the correct answer choice
2) if yes then how does one prioritize and select the correct answer when there are fallacies in the correct answer choice
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 09:25
korhiyatryinghard wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

While the explanation is overall sound. Isn't the sequence of participle modifier incorrect in option D.
MGmat SC book says that for adverbial participle modifiers- "the information presented earlier in the sentence lead to or results in the information presented later in the sentence"

My question is
1) Is this rule being violated here in the correct answer choice
2) if yes then how does one prioritize and select the correct answer when there are fallacies in the correct answer choice

The use of present participle modifier (verb+ing) you mentioned is not the only one - various uses of present participle modifiers are summarized below:

Usage 1:
The crime in the region decreased, attracting many real-estate investors. (The present participle modifier refers to the whole clause - it depicts the result of the whole clause - the type of usage you mentioned)

Usage 2:
Steffi won Wimbledon, defeating Sabatini in straight sets. (The present participle modifier refers to the subject of the previous clause Steffi - moreover note that defeat is NOT the result of the win, rather the sequence is the other way round - the type of usage in option D here)

Usage 3:
The present participle modifier may also act as any other modifier, i.e. modifying the noun it touches:
...trained several actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro. (The present participle modifier modifies the noun actors)
Intern
Intern
Re V05-37 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 11:52
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. "Having been" is not a GMAT acceptable use and it is used in the correct answer choice here. It invites immediate elimination.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 01:47
rkhdby wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. "Having been" is not a GMAT acceptable use and it is used in the correct answer choice here. It invites immediate elimination.

I have not come across any official instruction or guideline that states that "having been" is not an acceptable use. I do not see a problem in option D - the perfect participle in passive voice has been correctly used.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 00:13
can anybody explain me the use having been?
e-gmat@e-gmat can u please see this question? :roll: :|
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 12:55
Karanagrawal wrote:
can anybody explain me the use having been?
e-gmat@e-gmat can u please see this question? :roll: :|

First it is required to understand the use of perfect participle - A perfect particle has the following structure:
having + past participle
e.g., having said, having eaten, having done etc.
The perfect participle is used to indicate that an action has been completed.

Having eaten my breakfast, I left for school.
Having done the homework, John went out to play.

Note that all the above usages are in active voice, i.e. the subject performed the actions themselves. (I ate my breakfast, John did the homework).

Now consider the following:
The messenger was ordered by the king (passive) - then the messenger left the palace.

The perfect participle form of "was ordered" is "having been ordered".
Having been ordered by the king, the messenger left the palace. ( The messenger himself did not order - he was ordered by the king: passive.)

Some more perfect participle in passive are:
having been seen, having been hit etc.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 01:20
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

1. This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “went.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the better choice.
  2. This choice contains the same errors as in (A). "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about acheiving a state of enlightenment.
  3. This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “was sent”. When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the better choice. Even if “instead of” were correct, the construction "X instead of Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Finally, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. "Whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty.
  4. Correct. This choice uses the construction “X rather than Y” to correctly compare the parallel active verbs “accept” and “went.” The uncertainty about acheiving a state of enlightenment is correctly indicated by the word “whether.”
  5. The construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this answer choice pairs an active verb ("accept") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about achieving a state of enlightenment. On the GMAT “if” is preferred as a conditional and “whether” to express uncertainty about certain event.

isn't rather than accept wrong as it should be rather than accepting.

for example:

rather than eating at home he went to the restraunt to eat.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 09:29
smanujahrc wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

isn't rather than accept wrong as it should be rather than accepting.

for example:

rather than eating at home he went to the restraunt to eat.

The sentence you mentioned is wrong - "eating" is a gerund, whereas "went" is a verb. They cannot be used in parallel. The correct sentence could be:

Rather than eat at home he went to the restaurant to eat. (verb parallel to verb)
OR
Going to restaurant rather than eating at home is preferred. (gerund parallel to gerund)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 03:37
Even though this does not make incorrect options correct, I am pretty sure that I read in Manhattan Prep's SC guide that we can have Active and Passive voices Parallel in a sentence. I can look in the book if mods are absolutely sure that I am wrong.

Besides this, there is an Unintentional Rrror in C. The Last Word in this option should be Enlightenment. The expressions are - path of complete awareness AND state of enlightenment.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 2.71
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 15:00
" having been sent by his inner instincts. "

Can someone please explain what part of the sentence the above phrase is modifying ??
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 05:50
The whole frame of reference is past, lord buddha went then how can we use having been,
does not having been changes the reference to present?

Also instead is used in the place of, and rather than is a choice.
Can anyone please let me know whether to use always rather if there is any verb?
Re: V05-37   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2018, 05:50

V05-37

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap