GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V07-32

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V07-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 03:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:07) correct 20% (01:33) wrong based on 40 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Struthers College has built its reputation for academic excellence largely on significant contributions from wealthy alumni who are avid fans of the school’s football team. Although the team has won more national championships over the years than any other team in its division, this year it did not even win the division title, and so Struthers College can expect to see a decline in alumni contributions next year. The above argument relies on which of the following assumptions about Struthers College?

A. The college’s reputation for academic excellence depends on the performance of its football team.
B. Contributions from alumni are needed for the college to produce a winning football team.
C. Struthers alumni contributions depend to an extent on a winning record by the college's football team.
D. The college’s football team will continue its losing streak next year.
E. As a group, the college’s alumni will have at least as much discretionary money to give away next year as this year.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V07-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 03:43
Official Solution:

Struthers College has built its reputation for academic excellence largely on significant contributions from wealthy alumni who are avid fans of the school’s football team. Although the team has won more national championships over the years than any other team in its division, this year it did not even win the division title, and so Struthers College can expect to see a decline in alumni contributions next year. The above argument relies on which of the following assumptions about Struthers College?

A. The college’s reputation for academic excellence depends on the performance of its football team.
B. Contributions from alumni are needed for the college to produce a winning football team.
C. Struthers alumni contributions depend to an extent on a winning record by the college's football team.
D. The college’s football team will continue its losing streak next year.
E. As a group, the college’s alumni will have at least as much discretionary money to give away next year as this year.

The argument boils down to the following:
The college’s football team lost this year.

Therefore, alumni contributions are about to decrease.

But this argument depends on a cause-and-effect link between the football team’s performance and the level of alumni contributions, doesn’t it? In other words, it assumes that the alumni who contribute to the college are motivated to do so (at least to some extent) by their interest in the football team and its success. The correct response is (C).

Answer: C

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: V07-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 21:55
What is wrong with option A?
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V07-32  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 03:56
rahulsinha2103 wrote:
What is wrong with option A?

A can at most be an inference from the passage. Following the structure of a logic tree:

Premise---> (assumption)---->Conclusion----> Inference

A lies AFTER conclusion, but the correct option should lie BEFORE conclusion (between premise and conclusion).
GMAT Club Bot
V07-32 &nbs [#permalink] 30 Apr 2017, 03:56

V07-32

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap