It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 12:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V08-15

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17002 [0], given: 1962

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
V08-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 09:06
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:12) correct 54% (00:57) wrong based on 108 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.

A. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.
B. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ouster of corruption.
C. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalating interethnic conflicts and on ousting corruption.
D. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, on expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and on ousting of corruption.
E. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expanding democracy and political freedom, and on de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Re V08-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 09:06
Official Solution:

Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.

A. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.
B. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ouster of corruption.
C. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalating interethnic conflicts and on ousting corruption.
D. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, on expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and on ousting of corruption.
E. Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expanding democracy and political freedom, and on de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.

A: ousting corruption; the gerund form ‘ousting’ and the ‘and’ after freedom are unparallel forms

B. Correct list parallelism

C. The ‘and’ after freedom is unparallel

D. The same error as in C; missing out ‘on’ for the noun de-escalation’ is prepositional unparallellism

E. The same error as in C

Answer: B

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 31

Re: V08-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 09:39
don't you think ouster is confusing/ awkward in choice 'B'.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 19:51
I agree with Jimmy. "Ouster" doesn't sound right - I preferred B as an answer but thought ouster was wrong.
"Presently the East African country is focussed on...ouster of corruption". Shouldn't it be "ousting corruption"?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 06:57
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Parallelism is the issue here.
The OE says A is not parallel but B is.
My question: how many items are listed?
If B is correct we have a list of 4 items: privatization, expansion, de-escalation, and ouster. But in that case we should have a comma after 'conflicts' in order to make clear that we have >2 items listed, isn't it?
A says there are 3 items: all properly punctuated and 'de-escalation' of 2 items: 'interethnic conflicts' and 'ousting corruption' - 2 items, no need to have comma before the last 'and'. Perfect. (A can have meaning issues, which is tough for me to decide :)).
That's it.
Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 75

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 09:20
binit wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Parallelism is the issue here.
If B is correct we have a list of 4 items: privatization, expansion, de-escalation, and ouster. But in that case we should have a comma after 'conflicts' in order to make clear that we have >2 items listed, isn't it?
A says there are 3 items: all properly punctuated and 'de-escalation' of 2 items: 'interethnic conflicts' and 'ousting corruption' - 2 items, no need to have comma before the last 'and'. Perfect. (A can have meaning issues, which is tough for me to decide :)).
That's it.
Thanks.

What you are referring to is called an Oxford comma in lists such as A, B, C, and D.

While it is great practice to not have appositive confusion, it is not a rule so to speak.

Also, remember that punctuations are not tested on the GMAT.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 05:26
I think this is a very good question. "Ouster" is a noun, letter b makes the whole thing parallel: "East African country is focused on .... expansion [noun] .... de-escalation [noun] ... and ouster [noun] ....".

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 71

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V28

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 15:16
Even though GMAT doesn't specifically test - comma usage however in this question "comma + and" along with the parallelism is the what the question is testing.

This is definitely a poor quality question in terms of GMAT Standards.

If the comma had been there, the question would have been apt - Just saying.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 42

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 05:41
binit wrote:
That's it.
Thanks.

in my opinion B is the correct choice.
Option A is incorrect , because as per A there are three items in the list privatization , expansion and Descalation .
The last item descalation has two lists - descalation of conflicts ( makes sense ) and descalation of ousting corruption .( Does it make sense , Absolutely NO )

never give up ...Please give Kudos if you like the post ......

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 42

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 16:13
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. There is a typo where is says why E is wrong, it says for the same reason as E

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2015, 05:04
I think this is a poor-quality question. all the options are incorrect as in a list with 3 or more items, ", and" should preceed the last item on the list
this is not the case in option B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 26

Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q36 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 23:31
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. As per the explanation, answer E is wrong because it has same error as E.
Please elaborate!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 26

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2016, 05:07
Hi chetan2u,

Can you please suggest what going on here. Its really very confusing. I 100% agree with "b9n920" post that

If B is correct we have a list of 4 items: privatization, expansion, de-escalation, and ouster. But in that case we should have a comma after 'conflicts'

Please assist

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 79

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 18:40
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I think the word "Ouster" is incorrect in this answer choice. Answer: Presently the East African country is focused on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ouster of corruption. ... is focused on ... ouster of corruption is not correct.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 11:17
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. please explain that why in B 'comma' is not place after conflicts

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3297 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V08-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 10:32
Saurav Arora wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. please explain that why in B 'comma' is not place after conflicts

The comma before "and" is not mandatory and is just a matter of preference. Although in GMAT we have mostly observed that a comma is placed before "and", it is not gramatically incorrect not to use the comma.

Correct: a, b, c and d
Correct: a, b, c, and d

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 10:36
RedDevil007 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. As per the explanation, answer E is wrong because it has same error as E.
Please elaborate!

The typographical error has been corrected. Thank you.

Intern
Intern

Re V08-15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 02:05
I don't agree with the explanation. Shouldn't there be a comma before the very last "and"?!

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 07:45
14razy wrote:
I don't agree with the explanation. Shouldn't there be a comma before the very last "and"?!

You query has been addressed in this post:

v08-202918.html#p1703320

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 20:59
Ok, thank you. I believe what you mean is adding a comma before the very last item is a way gmat prefers, not necessarily the only way.

Re: V08-15   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2016, 20:59

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

V08-15

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap