It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-04

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16948 [2], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
V11-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2015, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:09) correct 57% (01:12) wrong based on 105 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While compiling the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration spill report, scientists have concluded that although measuring seven times that of Exxon-Valdez, the spill in Gulf, caused by a fractured concrete core – Nitrogen gas was used to accelerate the curing of the concrete mixture, thereby weakening the core – the Gulf-spill may have caused less damage.

A. although measuring seven times that of Exxon-Valdez, the spill in Gulf, caused by a fractured concrete core
B. although the spill in Gulf, caused by a fractured concrete core, measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez
C. measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez, the spill in Gulf was caused by a fractured concrete core
D. caused by a fractured concrete core, the spill in Gulf measures seven times that of Exxon-Valdez
E. although the spill in Gulf, measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez, was caused by a fractured concrete core
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16948 [2], given: 1961

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16948 [1], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Re V11-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2015, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

While compiling the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration spill report, scientists have concluded that although measuring seven times that of Exxon-Valdez, the spill in Gulf, caused by a fractured concrete core – Nitrogen gas was used to accelerate the curing of the concrete mixture, thereby weakening the core – the Gulf-spill may have caused less damage.

A. although measuring seven times that of Exxon-Valdez, the spill in Gulf, caused by a fractured concrete core
B. although the spill in Gulf, caused by a fractured concrete core, measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez
C. measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez, the spill in Gulf was caused by a fractured concrete core
D. caused by a fractured concrete core, the spill in Gulf measures seven times that of Exxon-Valdez
E. although the spill in Gulf, measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez, was caused by a fractured concrete core

It is better to introduce the subject the spill in gulf early in the sentence, so as to make the comparison with that of Exxon-Valdez clear. Using two subjects, the spill in Gulf and the Gulf-spill, for the same verb may have caused is ungrammatical. (A) Redundant subjects (the spill in Gulf and the Gulf-spill) for the verb may have caused. (B)Correct. Fixes the above issue: The subject the spill in Gulf refers to the verb measures and the subject the Gulf-spill refers to the verb may have caused. The conjunction although correctly contrasts measures seven times that of Exxon-Valdez with may have caused less damage. (C) Run-on sentence: Two main clauses (the spill in Gulf was caused by a fractured concrete core and the Gulf-spill may have caused less damage) joined without proper conjunction or punctuation. Undue importance on the explanatory clause caused by a fractured concrete core. D. Run-on sentence: Two main clauses (the spill in Gulf measures seven times that of Exxon-Valdez and the Gulf-spill may have caused less damage) joined without proper conjunction or punctuation. Undue importance on the explanatory clause caused by a fractured concrete core. E. The conjunction although wrongly contrasts was caused by a fractured concrete core with may have caused less damage.

Answer: B

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16948 [1], given: 1961

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 251

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: V11-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 10:05
Hi,

I think the correct answer is E, and not B.
The verbs in the sentence should be maintained in the same tense, whenever possible. Here, the non-underlined part contains the verbs - have reached, was used, have caused - which are some form of past tenses. Hence, we should be using some form of past tense over here too. Option B uses present tense "measures" which sounds as if it is a general case / present situation, which is not.

Also, option E is correct for 1 more reason.
here - "measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez" is a verbed modifier correctly modifying spill in Gulf. The spill cannot measure itself. Someone else must have measured it. However, option B gives the meaning that the spill itself measures seven times. This is absolutely wrong.

Maybe some expert can comment better here.

+1 Kudos if you liked my post! Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 251

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 41

Schools: HBS '17
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 22:56
sagar2911 wrote:
Hi,

I think the correct answer is E, and not B.
The verbs in the sentence should be maintained in the same tense, whenever possible. Here, the non-underlined part contains the verbs - have reached, was used, have caused - which are some form of past tenses. Hence, we should be using some form of past tense over here too. Option B uses present tense "measures" which sounds as if it is a general case / present situation, which is not.

Also, option E is correct for 1 more reason.
here - "measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez" is a verbed modifier correctly modifying spill in Gulf. The spill cannot measure itself. Someone else must have measured it. However, option B gives the meaning that the spill itself measures seven times. This is absolutely wrong.

Maybe some expert can comment better here.

I agree with it ! Experts Please enlighten ! mikemcgarry KyleWiddison

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 41

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 00:24
Can anyone please explain the difference in meaning between answer options B and E?

Thanks
Akash

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3278 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V11-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AkashKashyap wrote:
Can anyone please explain the difference in meaning between answer options B and E?

Thanks
Akash

Because of the word "although", a contrast should be depicted between the dependent clause and the independent clause:

Option E:
Dependent clause: although the spill in Gulf, measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez,was caused by a fractured concrete core.
Independent clause: the Gulf-spill may have caused less damage.

There is no contrast between the two clauses.

Option B:
Dependent clause: although the spill in Gulf, caused by a fractured concrete core,measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez

Proper contrast is established.

Kudos [?]: 3278 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 09:57
sayantanc2k wrote:
AkashKashyap wrote:

Thanks
Akash

Because of the word "although", a contrast should be depicted between the dependent clause and the independent clause:

Option E:
Dependent clause: although the spill in Gulf, measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez,was caused by a fractured concrete core.

Option B:
Dependent clause: although the spill in Gulf, caused by a fractured concrete core,measured seven times that of Exxon-Valdez

Thanks for the reply. Though I partly understand the concept, I am still not sure how all the content after "-" be skipped to see the contrast with the independent clause "the Gulf-spill may have caused less damage"

Please explain

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3278 [0], given: 22

V11-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 10:04
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AkashKashyap wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
AkashKashyap wrote:

Thanks
Akash

Option E:

Option B:

Thanks for the reply. Though I partly understand the concept, I am still not sure how all the content after "-" be skipped to see the contrast with the independent clause "the Gulf-spill may have caused less damage"

Please explain

The complete part within the 2 dashes can be absolutely ignored - consider it some extra information within parentheses, not forming a part of the main sentence. Such usage has already been seen in the GMAT.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 10:13
Just one more question.

Is is not that the verb-ed modifier always modifies the previous noun?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 01:51

Ans B,

Although Spill in Gulf -(Subject) followed by what caused it(verb1) and then how its measured(verb2) ..Sequence is best expressed in option B.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 10:11
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AkashKashyap wrote:
Just one more question.

Is is not that the verb-ed modifier always modifies the previous noun?

Not just verb-ed modifiers, but also almost all modifiers (except -ing modifiers) follow the modifier touch rule - i.e., the modifiers touch the nouns they refer to. However there are a few exceptions to the modifier touch rule. Manhattan SC guide illustrates these exceptions nicely. I am posting an excerpt from the same:

1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between.
He had a way OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.

2. A very short predicate falls between, shifting a very long modifier back.
A new CEO has been hired who will transform the company by decentralizing authority to various division heads while increasing their accountability through the use of public scorecards.

etc.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Re V11-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 04:50
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. In the option B measured works as Verb-ed modifier Same as in option E how it could be clause

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 04:58
I don't agree with the explanation. In the option B measured works as Verb-ed modifier Same as in option E how it could be clause.because spill will not measure itself it will be measured by other .therefore " Measured " in the option is not a verb

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 12:15
Ayush Mishra wrote:
I don't agree with the explanation. In the option B measured works as Verb-ed modifier Same as in option E how it could be clause.because spill will not measure itself it will be measured by other .therefore " Measured " in the option is not a verb

The verb "measure" means both of the following:
1. To ascertain the value of something: I measured the height of the table.
2. To BE of a certain value: The TV screen measures 29 inches along its diagonal.

Option B has the second meaning described above and is alright.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 20:39
Hello all,

I believe that the OA is incorrect. For me it seems that the " Nitrogen gas was used to accelerate the curing of the concrete mixture, thereby weakening the core " is modifying " caused by a fractured concrete cor "

While I believe that none of the answers are 'ideal' I'd lean strongly towards "B"

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

V11-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:00
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Keepushinalmosthere wrote:
Hello all,

I believe that the OA is incorrect. For me it seems that the " Nitrogen gas was used to accelerate the curing of the concrete mixture, thereby weakening the core " is modifying " caused by a fractured concrete cor "

While I believe that none of the answers are 'ideal' I'd lean strongly towards "B"

Two dashes act as a set of parentheses. The part within the two dashes is not grammatically related to the main sentence, but an interruption to provide some additional information. Therefore the idea that " Nitrogen gas was used to accelerate the curing of the concrete mixture, thereby weakening the core " is a modifier is incorrect. You need to ignore the part between the dashes and consider the main sentence, and then take the part within the dashes as a separate sentence (as though enclosed within parentheses). There is no problem with the OA (Option B).

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 23:13
sayantanc2k wrote:
AkashKashyap wrote:

Thanks
Akash

Option E:

Option B:

sayantanc2k
With all due respect to your explanation,I want to ask that don't you need a bona fide noun verb structure in option B!In option B "measured"looks like a modifier than a verb.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 04:18
techiesam wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
AkashKashyap wrote:

Thanks
Akash

Option E:

Option B:

sayantanc2k
With all due respect to your explanation,I want to ask that don't you need a bona fide noun verb structure in option B!In option B "measured"looks like a modifier than a verb.

"Measured" may look like a (past participle) modifier, but it IS a verb (for the subject noun "the spill in Gulf"). option B is alright.

Note: All verbs whose simple past and past participle have the same form, the simple past form always looks like a past participle modifier (because look-wise, i.e., in form, they are the same).

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 04:43
The structure is Although S+V, S+V but i this sentence, it is Although S+V - S+V.
Is it possible?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: V11-04   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2017, 04:43

V11-04

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap