GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

V11-06

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 08:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (00:44) correct 25% (01:07) wrong based on 53 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Widely known to be the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, are commandments those the Bible describes as having been given to the Israelites by God at biblical Mount Sinai.

A. to be the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, are commandments those the Bible describes as having been
B. as the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, is a set of commandments those the Bible describes as being
C. to be the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue had been mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, and it described them as being
D. as the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, is a set of commandments that the Bible describes as having been
E. to be the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, are those that the Bible describes as having been

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 08:23
Official Solution:

Widely known to be the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, are commandments those the Bible describes as having been given to the Israelites by God at biblical Mount Sinai.

A. to be the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, are commandments those the Bible describes as having been
B. as the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, is a set of commandments those the Bible describes as being
C. to be the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue had been mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, and it described them as being
D. as the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, is a set of commandments that the Bible describes as having been
E. to be the Ten Commandments, the Decalogue, mentioned twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21, are those that the Bible describes as having been

A. The idiom known to be is inappropriate. For naming, known as is correct usage. Decalogue is a set of commandments and is thus singular; the verb are does not match with the singular subject the Decalogue.

B. The participle being given is wrongly used to refer to an action that happened in the past; having been given is better.

C. The idiom known to be is inappropriate. The use of the verb had been in incorrect. The sentence implies that the action mentioned happened before the action described. The participle being is incorrect.

D. Correct. Fixes the problems above: the idiom known as is correctly used. The verb is correctly refers to the singular subject Decalogue. The participle having been is correctly used.

E. The idiom known to be is inappropriate. The verb are does not match with the singular subject the Decalogue.

Answer: D

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Re: V11-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 18:17
Why "having been given" is correct in option D?
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 01:50
sayantanc2k souvik101990

IMO every option is incorrect here.
Can you please check here.
A and E - The Decalogue is a set, So we need Singular Verb - OUT
B and C - Being is used for temporary conditions - OUT

But in D - The latter part after commandments has a THAT, Which refers to commandments and thus the verb should be Plural.

Please can you confirm if i am right.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 17:48
GMATNinja,

Seems this questions is not discussed more. I have question around option B and D around which I was hovering. First of all could you please help with usage of 'being' in general and over here ? Is 'being' is used only for present action and which form of verb and tense it represents ? And then second question is around option B in which use of 'those' sounds more appropriate than 'that' in option D. But Am I correct in understanding that GMAT does not prefer 'those' in general in OA ?

Thanks - Navinash.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V11-06 &nbs [#permalink] 05 Oct 2018, 17:48

V11-06

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap