GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

V11-30

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 10:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (01:06) correct 75% (01:19) wrong based on 69 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In an attempt to prove the effect of computer gaming on 'cognitive flexibility' – ability to quickly adapt and switch between different tasks, and to execute different job-functions simultaneously – researchers recruited two groups of volunteers. One group played a real-time strategy game, which requires frequent decision making and high organising skills, while the other a life-simulation game, which does not require much memory or many tactics. Those who played the strategy game performed better in cognitive flexibility tasks than those who played life simulation game. Which of the following can be conclusively determined from the above argument:

A. If a person played computer games for a long period, he would have high cognitive flexibility.
B. Playing strategy games generally improves the cognitive flexibility of a person more than playing life simulation games does.
C. If a person does not have high cognitive flexibility, he has not played strategy games for a considerable period of time.
D. Some people speculate that certain kinds of entertainment may influence multi-tasking ability.
E. Computer gaming has an influence on how people execute their tasks.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 10:05
Official Solution:

In an attempt to prove the effect of computer gaming on 'cognitive flexibility' – ability to quickly adapt and switch between different tasks, and to execute different job-functions simultaneously – researchers recruited two groups of volunteers. One group played a real-time strategy game, which requires frequent decision making and high organising skills, while the other a life-simulation game, which does not require much memory or many tactics. Those who played the strategy game performed better in cognitive flexibility tasks than those who played life simulation game. Which of the following can be conclusively determined from the above argument:

A. If a person played computer games for a long period, he would have high cognitive flexibility.
B. Playing strategy games generally improves the cognitive flexibility of a person more than playing life simulation games does.
C. If a person does not have high cognitive flexibility, he has not played strategy games for a considerable period of time.
D. Some people speculate that certain kinds of entertainment may influence multi-tasking ability.
E. Computer gaming has an influence on how people execute their tasks.

(A) The experiment attempts to prove that strategy games, not all computer games, have a positive effect on cognitive flexibility.

(B) Unless it is established that the group that played strategy games did not already perform better than the group playing simulation game, this conclusion cannot be drawn.

(C). This statement is equivalent to that if a person played strategy games for a considerable period of time, he would have high cognitive flexibility.

Unless the cognitive flexibility test performance of the group before the experiment is not known, this statement cannot be concluded. Moreover, even it is established that playing strategy games improves cognitive flexibility, it does not necessarily mean that improvement would be enough for any person to reach high level of cognitive flexibility; it could so happen that by playing strategy games a person with very low cognitive flexibility improved to a low or medium level.

(D) Correct The researchers attempted to prove the effect of computer gaming, a kind of entertainment, on the ability to execute different job-functions simultaneously, multi-tasking. Since the researchers attempted to prove, it can be concluded that they speculated a relation between computer gaming and multi-tasking

(E) Unless the test result before the experiment is compared with that after and other possible causes of improvement are ruled out, this statement cannot be concluded.

Answer: D

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: V11-30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 06:01
I strongly feel E is the answer, as its clearly shows the game has some influence
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 10:49
deepak268 wrote:
I strongly feel E is the answer, as its clearly shows the game has some influence

It is possible that those who played the strategy game could already perform better in cognitive flexibility tasks than those who played life simulation game even before playing the respective games. There is no mention of any tests that were carried out BEFORE playing the games. Hence option E cannot be conclusively determined.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 03:40
From the question stem, we have:

Those who played the strategy game performed better in cognitive flexibility tasks than those who played life simulation game.

From the official explanation, we have:

Unless it is established that the group that played strategy games did not already perform better than the group playing simulation game, this conclusion cannot be drawn

What am I missing?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 02:27
warriorguy wrote:
From the question stem, we have:

Those who played the strategy game performed better in cognitive flexibility tasks than those who played life simulation game.

From the official explanation, we have:

Unless it is established that the group that played strategy games did not already perform better than the group playing simulation game, this conclusion cannot be drawn

What am I missing?

Option B implies the following:
Cause: playing strategy games. Effect: more improvement in cognitive facility.

What if the people who played strategy games were already better (naturally better - even before playing the game) in cognitive facility? In that case Option B is NOT the right conclusion. Therefore the OE states so.
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 20:44
While the reasoning is sound in the real world sense, we are supposed to consider the information provided in conclusion and inference as true. Questioning the direct result "Those who played the strategy game performed better in cognitive flexibility tasks than those who played life simulation game" is not the right way of attacking this question type.

Could you provide me official inference or conclusion question where reasoning is questioned as has been done here?

sayantanc2k daagh
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 14:00
I don't think this is a great question. In the OG questions, answers that include things that are out of scope of the passage are pretty much always wrong. I don't think we can *conclusively * determine what the researchers speculated
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V11-30 &nbs [#permalink] 11 Mar 2018, 14:00

V11-30

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap