GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

V32-21

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V32-21  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 23:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (00:33) correct 27% (00:45) wrong based on 11 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Up until the mid-19th century, most Irish immigrants in America were members of the Protestant middle class. When the Great Potato Famine hit Ireland in 1845, close to 1 million poor and uneducated Irish Catholics began pouring into America to escape starvation. Despised for their alien religious beliefs and unfamiliar accents by the American Protestant majority, the immigrants had trouble finding even menial jobs. When Irish Americans in the country's cities took to the streets on St. Patrick's Day to celebrate their heritage, newspapers portrayed them in cartoons as drunk, violent monkeys.

The American Irish soon began to realize, however, that their large and growing numbers endowed them with a political power that had yet to be exploited. They started to organize, and their voting block, known as the "green machine," became an important swing vote for political hopefuls. Suddenly, annual St. Patrick's Day parades became a show of strength for Irish Americans, as well as a must-attend event for a slew of political candidates. In 1948, President Harry S. Truman attended New York City 's St. Patrick's Day parade, a proud moment for the many Irish Americans whose ancestors had to fight stereotypes and racial prejudice to find acceptance in the New World.

Which of the following supported by the passage?

A. There were many rich Irish immigrant families in the early 19th century in America
B. By the mid 19th century the Irish enjoyed more privileges than other immigrants.
C. The American politicians attempted to exploit the growing Irish numbers by appeasing to their cultural heritage.
D. The Irish who came to America before 1845 were significantly more educated than those who came after.
E. President Harry Truman was the first major politician to consider the Irish immigrants as a formidable group to shape the American democracy.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V32-21  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 23:32
Official Solution:

Up until the mid-19th century, most Irish immigrants in America were members of the Protestant middle class. When the Great Potato Famine hit Ireland in 1845, close to 1 million poor and uneducated Irish Catholics began pouring into America to escape starvation. Despised for their alien religious beliefs and unfamiliar accents by the American Protestant majority, the immigrants had trouble finding even menial jobs. When Irish Americans in the country's cities took to the streets on St. Patrick's Day to celebrate their heritage, newspapers portrayed them in cartoons as drunk, violent monkeys.

The American Irish soon began to realize, however, that their large and growing numbers endowed them with a political power that had yet to be exploited. They started to organize, and their voting block, known as the "green machine," became an important swing vote for political hopefuls. Suddenly, annual St. Patrick's Day parades became a show of strength for Irish Americans, as well as a must-attend event for a slew of political candidates. In 1948, President Harry S. Truman attended New York City 's St. Patrick's Day parade, a proud moment for the many Irish Americans whose ancestors had to fight stereotypes and racial prejudice to find acceptance in the New World.

Which of the following supported by the passage?

A. There were many rich Irish immigrant families in the early 19th century in America
B. By the mid 19th century the Irish enjoyed more privileges than other immigrants.
C. The American politicians attempted to exploit the growing Irish numbers by appeasing to their cultural heritage.
D. The Irish who came to America before 1845 were significantly more educated than those who came after.
E. President Harry Truman was the first major politician to consider the Irish immigrants as a formidable group to shape the American democracy.

C is correct. The passage states how the Green Machine and other Irish demography made them a formidable political demography which was then exploited by American politicians.

Answer: C

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
Re V32-21  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2018, 21:49
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Appeasing to cultural heritage doens't make sense and creates ambiguity in the answers.

The answer is much clearer when it is "appealing"
Intern
Intern
B
Re: V32-21  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 00:06
Hi

I have a question here - the passage ("a political power that had yet to be exploited") mentions that the demography of the Irish people made them likely to be exploited by American Irish (politicians - may be or may be American politicians). So it is explicitly stated that Irish demography could have been politically exploited. In option c, it states that they were exploited.

Could someone please explain? I am in doubt.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 06:11
This is just a long and annoying question after all, but once its read through, the answer is pretty straightforward.

A. There were many rich Irish immigrant families in the early 19th century in America - never mentioned in the passage --> out of scope
B. By the mid 19th century the Irish enjoyed more privileges than other immigrants. - never mentioned in the passage --> out of scope
C. The American politicians attempted to exploit the growing Irish numbers by appeasing to their cultural heritage. - a general statement that fits into the topic of Irish Americans' progression towards empowerment & recognition during the period of mid 19th to mid 20th century
D. The Irish who came to America before 1845 were significantly more educated than those who came after. - never mentioned in the passage --> out of scope
E. President Harry Truman was the first major politician to consider the Irish immigrants as a formidable group to shape the American democracy. - Extreme and the passage never mentioned anything about other major political figure's stance on this issue.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 08:13
Dear Gmat Club test makers, please give complete explanations to your questions. (Provide a reason why each of the answer choices is wrong or right).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V32-21 &nbs [#permalink] 31 Oct 2018, 08:13

V32-21

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap