Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [2]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 800 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: V39 - V35 with fewer wrong answers gmat OG practice CAT 2 [#permalink]
Kudos
DeepanjanaM

please check below link, it might help to clear your doubt.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-format-g ... ml?fl=menu
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi DeepanjanaM,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. It takes into account more than just the number of correct/incorrect answers, but you shouldn't be focused on the Algorithm at this point - your focus should be on what really matters: defining WHY they're getting questions wrong and becoming more efficient at approaching the overall Exam.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DeepanjanaM wrote:
I am a little confused about the scoring algorithms on gmat official practice cats. I took CAT 1 a few weeks back and got a 39 with 10 wrong answers and 3 wrong out of the first 10 questions, today I took the 2nd CAT and got 9 questions wrong with 2 wrong out of the first 10. I am only bringing up the first 10 questions because I keep reading posts here that say the first 10 are kind of more important, i should also mention I got 11 questions correct at a stretch in the 2nd CAT. If someone could explain to me how this works it would be great, thanks
1. The algorithm takes into account things like the "difficulty" of a question and how good that question is at differentiating between test takers in the range that the question is targeting.
2. The algorithm does not take into account the position of a question in the test.

I know that a lot of posts say that the first 10 are more important, but you should not make that advice the cornerstone of your strategy. There is a very big difference between saying that people with high scores tend to get the first 10 questions correct and saying that getting the first 10 questions correct leads to a high score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
DeepanjanaM wrote:
I am a little confused about the scoring algorithms on gmat official practice cats. I took CAT 1 a few weeks back and got a 39 with 10 wrong answers and 3 wrong out of the first 10 questions, today I took the 2nd CAT and got 9 questions wrong with 2 wrong out of the first 10. I am only bringing up the first 10 questions because I keep reading posts here that say the first 10 are kind of more important, i should also mention I got 11 questions correct at a stretch in the 2nd CAT. If someone could explain to me how this works it would be great, thanks

Posted from my mobile device

DeepanjanaM

Its not about the number of corrects and incorrect which determine your score,
The quality of questions and the level of those questions determine your overall score .

Difficult questions attempted incorrectly won't hamper your score enough, rather attempting easy questions incorrectly would.

Its a Computer Adaptive Exam which adjusts and determines your level, so be careful :)

All the best with preparation :thumbup:
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22060 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi DeepanjanaM,

AkshdeepS provided some excellent advice. Rather than spending time worrying about the GMAC algorithm, you really should focus on the things you CAN control, and the number one thing you can control is getting better at the GMAT. If you get to a point at which you can dominate the GMAT, the specifics of the scoring algorithm won't matter because you will to have the skills that you need to get an amazing score, right?

With that said, when is your GMAT and what is your GMAT score goal?

You may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

If you have any further questions, please reach out.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
V39 - V35 with fewer wrong answers gmat OG practice CAT 2 [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DeepanjanaM,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. It takes into account more than just the number of correct/incorrect answers, but you shouldn't be focused on the Algorithm at this point - your focus should be on what really matters: defining WHY they're getting questions wrong and becoming more efficient at approaching the overall Exam.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,
Completely missed out on responding back to you.
I took my GMAT yesterday and it was a disaster to say the least. I made a post about it as a new topic.

2 months of studying, materials include MPrep Guides and live online course, and OG 2019 (practiced using the Wiley portal)

In Nov I had taken GMAT practice test 1 for diagnostic purposes, my score was 450 (Q22, V30).
I started preparing in Jan earnestly and retook Practice Test 1 on Feb 4th, this time I got a 640 (Q39, V39),
I knew this was slightly inflated as some of the questions may have been repeated
Practice test 2: 600 (Q38, V35)
Practice test 3: 610 (Q37, V36)
Practice test 4: 3 days before real test 600 (Q37, V35)
Took all the practice test around the same time as my real scheduled exam time, did all sections except essay, most of tests were in order Q,V, IR, AWA
All this while I have been very aware of my score being at a standstill despite hours of practice.

I went into the test thinking I would get between 580 and 620, but I wasn't expecting a 530 (Q34, V28) the verbal score really stumped me, it was my lowest score, lower even than the diagnostic where I had run out of time and had no clue about the questions I would be faced with.

Goal score is 650
Retaking the GMAT in 41 days
Will apply to 2 business schools in Germany, Frankfurt School and WHU for the Fall, Deadline for WHU is end of May and for FS it is end of July.

I was looking into the EmpowerGMAT Score booster plan and I was wondering if I have enough time (40 days approx) to use that and benefit from it.

Thanks a lot
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi DeepanjanaM,

I've sent you a PM with some additional questions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot