It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 09:57

Happening Now:

MBA Chat with Michelle Miller, MBA Admission Expert

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Value of a named fellowship

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 10

Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Value of a named fellowship [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2009, 22:50
I am just curious what you guys think the value of a named fellowship is aside from the money attached to it.

Say you get into two similarly ranked school, one is better at the field you are interested in, but the other offers you a small named fellowship. Assuming the money amount is not big enough to make you pick one school over the other.

I would imagine you include the named fellowship in your CV. How much does such a thing contribute to your CV? For example, lets say you got 20K unnamed from a schoole and 10K named from another - which would you value more?

Also - I know this is prbably obvious to people in the US, but what exactly is the difference between a scholarship and a fellowship?

Thanks!
Gil

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Value of a named fellowship [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2009, 08:15
Hi Gil,

I don't know about using named scholarship to compare one school over another, but I remember from undergrad that having a named scholarship on one's resume at least guaranteed him/her a 1st round interview for just about any job. (at least)

It definitely can't hurt you, in my opinion.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 548

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: Kellogg School of Management

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2009, 08:22
Thanks. That means a lot. I wonder if it means the same for B-school.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 761 [1], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2009, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
I think it really depends on the fellowship. Schools have so many small unknown scholarships that those dont mean much, other than a well off alumnni gave a bunch of money for a scholarship fund. I got one at the end of this year and I dont think it would have any impact on recruiting. Unlike undergrad when there is little to separate students, in B-school you have a resume with a bunch of work experience that means more than a Bob Jones scholarship. I dont think anyone I talked to ever was asked about scholarships on resumes, and that is the kind of oddball question we would discuss.

I know a friend who has a big name scholarships and is still looking for a job, so obviously its not a golden bullet...I think the strength of a program in a given field will be a bigger factor. I think a name scholarship is like putting a high GMAT on your resume, its nice to have but if they dont like the work experience that name/number is not going to do anything for you. With the current recruiting scene, I think that the strength schools have within that industry is going to play a much bigger factor. Companies cut back on hiring, so having more options and recognition within your desired industry is the most important thing.

However, certain schools have a small number of very big name scholarships like the Park at Cornell or Austin at Kellogg (full/half rides and sometimes stipends). Those are well known by recruiters and might get attention. Oh the other special cases might be a corporate scholarship but only for the company that gives it out, otherwise I wouldnt even put the name on my resume...and then there are some very special cases like the Jacob scholarships will be big at Kellogg just because of the name recognition from alums, the guy was Dean for 20 years and is loved by alums.

If it was up to me and was 20k with no-name vs 10k with a name...I would take the 20k every single day of the week. Heck if Kellogg made me choose between 15k with a name and 16k without a name, I would take the 16k. If strength in desired industry is equal, difference in money isn't a factor...then go with Fit since thats more important than some unknown name.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 761 [1], given: 5

Re: Value of a named fellowship   [#permalink] 04 May 2009, 09:00