GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Vanderbilt Vs Marshall

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Vanderbilt Vs Marshall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 07:50
Please I got Vanderbilt Owen with 70k off tuition and Marshall with nothing. Post MBA career is Technology with a future in Tech Entrepreneurship. Marshall now has STEM option so I can work for 3 years. Vanderbilt does not even have Entrepreneurship as a concentration?

What do you think?
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Duke '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Vanderbilt Vs Marshall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 12:32
Despite the rankings I am pretty high on Vanderbilt's trajectory. That being said, given your goal of tech, the proximity of USC to big time tech employers, and the STEM...it seems like USC would be worth it here. That shot up the rankings could be an indication that it will challenge UCLA and become a top 20 program over the long term. The alumni network is great too, just be sure you want to end up in California as the vast majority of grads do.

Congrats and good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 13:09
USC is the choice. you can't miss out on STEM if you're an immigrant..besides USC has better prospects and rankings

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 16:07
I would choose Owen over Marshall 100 times out of 100, and I would choose Nashville over LA 100 times out of 100.

HOWEVER, I was not an international student who would've benefited (potentially a lot) from the STEM aspect. Also, I was not dead-set on pursuing Tech, even though that's where I ended up. So you're in a different spot than I was... I think you can make an argument for either option here.

BTW, beyond just the strict ROI and job placement, it is worth also considering that these programs will be very different. USC has a different vibe than Vandy, and LA is totally different from Nashville.

Are you more interested in a small, friendly, Southern community feel (albeit in the midsts of booming Nashville), or are you the more cosmopolitan type that really needs/loves the diversity and options available in a metropolis like LA? I would also consider that.

Good luck with your decision!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 17:04
Congrats on your admits!

I think if you were a domestic applicant, it would be a nice deal for Owen. With STEM and H1B - it is a gamble. On one hand it may pay off huge but on the other, they may pass an immigration reform they are talking about that may prioritize MBA grads so you would not benefit from it. Also, how much is the STEM option? Would you be graduating in 3 years instead of 2? When do you have to make your choice about the MS in Analytics or what path are you taking to STEM?

P.S.
The latest rankings favor Marshall - it has been climbing lately and jumping spots but that's very recent. A few years ago, Owen was within the Top 25. I know it is a bit of an extreme but just a few years ago, Owen was #22 and Marshall 31 so I would not look at just a snapshot of rankings.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Finance

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 23:12
Little off topic here.
I have heard great things about Nashville from multiple people. Are you from Nashville? I am just curious why you think it is such a great place (the intention here is purely driven by curiosity). Thanks!

teleste wrote:
I would choose Owen over Marshall 100 times out of 100, and I would choose Nashville over LA 100 times out of 100.

HOWEVER, I was not an international student who would've benefited (potentially a lot) from the STEM aspect. Also, I was not dead-set on pursuing Tech, even though that's where I ended up. So you're in a different spot than I was... I think you can make an argument for either option here.

BTW, beyond just the strict ROI and job placement, it is worth also considering that these programs will be very different. USC has a different vibe than Vandy, and LA is totally different from Nashville.

Are you more interested in a small, friendly, Southern community feel (albeit in the midsts of booming Nashville), or are you the more cosmopolitan type that really needs/loves the diversity and options available in a metropolis like LA? I would also consider that.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 11:54
mba2019pa wrote:
Little off topic here.
I have heard great things about Nashville from multiple people. Are you from Nashville? I am just curious why you think it is such a great place (the intention here is purely driven by curiosity). Thanks!

teleste wrote:

If you look at Teleste's profile, right under his/her avatar, you will see that they have attended Owen (Vanderbilt), which means they have obviously lived in Nashville.
I have heard lots of positive things about Nashville and also am a fan of the Hot Fried Chicken craze wave that started there. The music industry makes it a very cosmopolitan city that appeals to those who are not happy with LA Traffic or Austin heat. I have had many friends of friends move/consider moving to Nashville and be quite excited about it. It seems like a great place to live, though I am not sure if that's where you will settle after BSchool as there are not as many opportunities as in Chicago or New York for example.

In terms of LA, I am a bit jaded and while there are many mid-management opportunities in Los Angeles, they are operations-based and not sexy (not that the Amazon's MBA positions that sexy). LA has very few headquarters due to the CA's aggressive taxation and business climate that seems to be forcing everyone except perhaps Mattel and Amgen to go elsewhere. Los Angeles is the small-business heaven with Movie and Space being the two main industries.

-BB.

New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 12:29
If you want to do an MBA, you want to have good access to businesses around the school for quick networking, interviews and entrepreneurial meetups.
If you’re spending 2 years getting an MBA and spending the thousands of $$$$, you want to get these benefits... I know there are good schools in the smaller cities like UVA, Vanderbilt, etc... , but that doesn't beat the advantage of being in a big city.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Owen '21
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 12:58
Nashville>>LA. I say that as an international living in California currently. You are never alone in Nashville as people care for you. Nashville is no longer a small city. Ask someone who has been here in the last 2 year. They call it Crane ville now, for the massive construction happening here.

As for Tech, Healthcare tech is big here and Amazon is coming in few months.
Does healthcare tech excite you? If yes, pack your bags and come to Vandy.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Finance

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 18:05
What is healthcare tech exactly? Love to know.

Shredder wrote:
Nashville>>LA. I say that as an international living in California currently. You are never alone in Nashville as people care for you. Nashville is no longer a small city. Ask someone who has been here in the last 2 year. They call it Crane ville now, for the massive construction happening here.

As for Tech, Healthcare tech is big here and Amazon is coming in few months.
Does healthcare tech excite you? If yes, pack your bags and come to Vandy.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Owen '21
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 19:16
For example HCA. It's a healthcare giant based in Nashville.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 22:31
FWIW, I saw Owen announced this today:
https://business.vanderbilt.edu/news/20 ... n-linkedin
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 22:38
teleste wrote:
FWIW, I saw Owen announced this today:
https://business.vanderbilt.edu/news/20 ... n-linkedin

This is huge! ESP for an MBA concentration and not an extra semester or year MSc program. I don’t think I have seen many/any programs that have STEM designation by default. Most require extra classes/credits in addition to the mba coursework.

Super Cool!

Posted from my mobile device

New! OG2020 Directory !

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 11:25
OyelakinOlu wrote:
Please I got Vanderbilt Owen with 70k off tuition and Marshall with nothing. Post MBA career is Technology with a future in Tech Entrepreneurship. Marshall now has STEM option so I can work for 3 years. Vanderbilt does not even have Entrepreneurship as a concentration?

What do you think?

Hello OyelakinOlu

Congtras on admission ;)

Yeah, it is common for Finance specialization to be (recognized as) STEM, since nowadays any serious Finance program will be very Quantitative in nature (math, stat, programming).

What Vanderbilt Owen did here, was a very smart move to make sure that their MBA program with Finance specialization become evaluated as STEM in order to allure (international) students and make this program very attractive.

Keeping in mind that you are international student with 70k offer and STEM option, in this setting Vanderbilt comes as clear winner :cool:

Regarding your interest, I can see elective Private Equity and Venture Capital in Finance specialization, which is close enough to Entrepreneurship as subject/topic.

I dont see FinTech as separate topic, but it may be touched on some of courses.

Think no further go to Vanderbilt.

Good Luck :cool:
Vanderbilt Vs Marshall   [#permalink] 26 May 2019, 11:25

Vanderbilt Vs Marshall

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste