GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Verbal Order of Questions?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Verbal Order of Questions?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 22:41
Hi everyone. I started my Gmat Prep about 1.5 weeks ago. For next 3-4 months I am entirely devoted to Verbal since it is my weakness. Currently, I am saving my GMAT practice tests attempt for later, since they are valuable and don't want to waste it on "dissecting the test." Consequently, I had a few questions which I would like answer to so I can understand if this strategy is better: "master what I am good at/don't be super bad at what I am bad at."

1) I had seen posts about how GMAT CAT works and from what I saw it is better 1) to get first couple of questions correct and 2) not get a steak of questions wrong in the middle/end.
My biggest weakness right now is RC and my biggest strength is SC (based on my SAT 4 years ago and solving few questions on Official GMAT book); SC would get stronger once I devote time to memorize some idioms and to refresh grammar rules.

My first question is, how are the order of SC, RC and CR on the exam. Are the questions scrambled, are the "SC, RC, CR" scrambled or do they follow specific order like SC->CR->RC (which is best case scenario for me as discussed below).

It would make it better for me (and maybe many other students?) if SC questions are first thing asked on GMAT since I can get a lot of them correct, even with increasing difficulty. I can get a good amount of CR correct (definitely without a steak of >2 wrong answers) since I like viewing them as a game of logic (I am a CS major). I can get couple of questions on RC correct but nevertheless it is my weakness (as reference, on official guide I got 36/40 correct on easy, 34/44 on medium (messed up on 1 long passage), got 24/28 on hard for now). Also I took 7-9ish minutes (depending on length of passage) to answer each RC; i.e. not take my sweet time to read thoroughly (just skim first) but neither strictly timing it with a timer).

My second question is, on revised 36 question Verbal, what can I except in RC in terms of # passages, length of passages, #questions/passage? Specifically, if the passage is long (3 para instead of 2) and has more questions, it is beneficial for me to spend an extra minute or two to better understand idea before moving to questions (since more #questions). Would I know for a given passage how many questions will be asked (Direction like: following passage refers to question 32-35, even though questions themselves will be presented one after the other)?

My score goal on Verbal is 38-42 which can ultimately (maybe?) get me 710-730 when combined with Q50/51. To get that verbal score, and given my strengths on SC/RC/CR as discussed what would be optimal on exam strategy; let us say I will give first (practice) exam in one month.

(Edit: I saw couple of grammar mistakes, don't get mad at me :( )
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Verbal Order of Questions?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 01:23
Hi tarobapo ..
Welcome to Gmatclub. The questions on quant or verbal are random and not by section wise. Let's talk specifically about Verbal. You will see approx. 12-14 questions of SC, 12-14 questions of RC and 8-10 questions of CR. It is good that you are and will be strong in SC because it is the most scoring section in verbal. You can save a lot of time in SC and that you can invest on RC and CR. The theories which claims that first 2 sets are important is somewhat true. Once you build a good rapport in first 2 sets, the algorithm treats you at a good level. If you do not make consecutive mistakes, the fluctuation will be less. Obviously, we cannot go deeper on endless algorithm. Your prime aim is to polish your basics and aim for 100% accuracy in Easy, 80% in Medium and 50% in hard questions. About the RC - You will see 3-4 RC passages of 3-5 questions each. Generally, the very long passage would be easier. You can search for uncountable helpful forum/posts/discussions on Gmatclub. You just need to pick the good material.
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 13:58
Hi sjas31,

Thanks for the reply! Would you mind elaborating on what "first 2 sets" exactly mean (in Verbal)? Secondly, why is it that longer passages are "easier?" Is it because they have more questions and people just give an extra minute or two to skim "carefully?"
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 19:47
Hi tarobapo,

Since you are in the early phase of your studies, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you would rather not use any of the Official practice CATs yet, then the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion).

That initial score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 20:49
Hi,
The questions in quant and verbal are divided into 4 sets. You can take the example of Verbal section in which 9 questions represents 'One' set. Some people have experimented that if you do Good in first half of the exam and do bad in other half, the fluctuation of the score is not so much compared to the fluctuation if you do bad in first 2 sets and do good in last 2 sets. You can get the above data by ordering ESR and here is an example to make you understand: https://gmat-esr.gmac.com/gmat-esr/7051 ... 613E8A3799
See this amazing post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-so ... l#p1171760

Generally, the longer passages will take time to read and if they are really hard to understand, then you are probably going to waste a lot of time and mark incorrect answers. GMAC does not like this approach. The exam is defined in a way to complete it in the given time frame. I am sharing you the experiences of test takers :)

tarobapo wrote:
Hi sjas31,

Thanks for the reply! Would you mind elaborating on what "first 2 sets" exactly mean (in Verbal)? Secondly, why is it that longer passages are "easier?" Is it because they have more questions and people just give an extra minute or two to skim "carefully?"

Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 19:27
Hi tarobapo,

You ask some great questions; however, I agree that it would be helpful for you to take a full-length MBA.com practice test first, so you can see how far off you are from your score goal.

Once you take the practice exam, feel free to report back here, and I can provide some further advice. Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Verbal Order of Questions?   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2019, 19:27

Verbal Order of Questions?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep