GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 16:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Verbal part difficulty increased lately?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Verbal part difficulty increased lately?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 11:19
Hello

I recently gave my GMAT exam. I scored 25 in verbal.
However, I was scoring 35-39 in my mock tests. I felt that the level of difficulty was very different from mock tests and study material that I used. My friends who have given the tests lately felt the same.
I was wondering whether there has been a change in difficulty level and are there other people who felt the same way.
I need to plan my retest and I was looking for someone to help me out.

Thankyou.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Sep 2018
Posts: 49
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: Verbal part difficulty increased lately?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 13:29
1
Hello,

The change in difficulty of GMAT (or any of its sections) is a very slow process and such change doesn't happen overnight. The actual GMAT does feel a lot more difficult owing to the exam stress factor and a few other reasons. I would advise you to ensure that...

(a) take fresh mocks (don't repeat them), this may lead to inflated scores.
(b) take your next attempt at GMAT with a lot more confidence and a slightly carefree attitude.

Rest assured, it is not the change in difficulty of GMAT. It is your preparation and the exam temperament; work on both.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Re: Verbal part difficulty increased lately?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 13:42
Hello

I agree that the real GMAT feels a lot more stressful than a mock test.
I will try to keep my stress levels in check and prepare in a better way.
Could you please suggest websites or study materials for GMAT (especially verbal) and for practise tests.
Earlier I had prepared from the
Princeton Review.

Thankyou :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Sep 2018
Posts: 49
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: Verbal part difficulty increased lately?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 02:48
1
aanchalbansal wrote:
Hello

I agree that the real GMAT feels a lot more stressful than a mock test.
I will try to keep my stress levels in check and prepare in a better way.
Could you please suggest websites or study materials for GMAT (especially verbal) and for practise tests.
Earlier I had prepared from the
Princeton Review.

Thankyou :)

Posted from my mobile device


Hello,

Sorry for a delayed response as I have been out of action owing to Diwali festivities.

Sure. Concentrating on one question at a time without worrying about how you are performing can quite ease the stress.

Regarding study resources and mock tests, my prep relied only on the official material and Experts' Global. Experts' Global provides a test series with 15 mocks which I found quite awesome and representative of GMAT in every way. Their complete program is really comprehensive with a huge set of crisp and to the point videos, each followed by an exercise on a GMAT like interface. Overall, you get thousands of questions with detailed explanations and the video explanations are particularly useful. The portal is outstanding with some great features and wonderful analytics. Before committing, please take their free trial and see whether the course suits you. The official guides and tests are obviously a great resource and I used these at the end of my prep; with 15 mocks and large practice sets by Experts' Global together with official guides and 2 free GMAT Prep, I didn't need the paid official mocks nor the question pack but you may want to consider these if you wish to solve extra official questions.

Reach me for any further questions. Happy to help :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jun 2018
Posts: 73
Re: Verbal part difficulty increased lately?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 03:08
The same thing happened with me and I had to cancel my score. Before I started studying I had taken an official test where I scored 38 on Verbal. Over the course of my study and six official tests, it remained between 36-41

Test day? 24.
But also I was very nervous. But I don't remember being completely clueless so i don't know what happened.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 3051
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Verbal part difficulty increased lately?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 06:26
hibobotamuss wrote:
The same thing happened with me and I had to cancel my score. Before I started studying I had taken an official test where I scored 38 on Verbal. Over the course of my study and six official tests, it remained between 36-41

Test day? 24.
But also I was very nervous. But I don't remember being completely clueless so i don't know what happened.
Nervousness can play a major role in bringing your score down. Being familiar with GMATPrep questions can play a major role in inflating your practice test scores. But if you feel that the questions on your official practice tests were "fresh", you should feel confident about your ability to get a similar score on the actual GMAT.
_________________
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1230
Re: Verbal part difficulty increased lately?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 06:40
AjiteshArun wrote:
hibobotamuss wrote:
The same thing happened with me and I had to cancel my score. Before I started studying I had taken an official test where I scored 38 on Verbal. Over the course of my study and six official tests, it remained between 36-41

Test day? 24.
But also I was very nervous. But I don't remember being completely clueless so i don't know what happened.
Nervousness can play a major role in bringing your score down. Being familiar with GMATPrep questions can play a major role in inflating your practice test scores. But if you feel that the questions on your official practice tests were "fresh", you should feel confident about your ability to get a similar score on the actual GMAT.




AjiteshArun I definitely think that difficulty of GMAT verbal increased. Compare for instance the two passages of the same level below:

(1.) https://gmatclub.com/forum/those-exampl ... 81067.html


(2.) https://gmatclub.com/forum/no-very-sati ... 81770.html

the second one is much MUCH easier than the first one (latest OG edition), though both passages are of the same level.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 3051
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Verbal part difficulty increased lately?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 07:42
1
dave13 wrote:
AjiteshArun I definitely think that difficulty of GMAT verbal increased. Compare for instance the two passages of the same level below:

(1.) https://gmatclub.com/forum/those-exampl ... 81067.html


(2.) https://gmatclub.com/forum/no-very-sati ... 81770.html

the second one is much MUCH easier than the first one (latest OG edition), though both passages are of the same level.
But that's not how the GMAT works. The difficulty of a question is determined by the responses of actual test takers. So, if a very difficult question is introduced as an experimental question, it will get categorized as a very difficult question, because most people will not be able to solve that question correctly.

I'm oversimplifying the situation here, but the main point here remains that whenever a more difficult question is introduced, it is classified as such.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Sep 2018
Posts: 49
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge
Verbal part difficulty increased lately?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 17:27
1
AjiteshArun wrote:
dave13 wrote:
AjiteshArun I definitely think that difficulty of GMAT verbal increased. Compare for instance the two passages of the same level below:

(1.) https://gmatclub.com/forum/those-exampl ... 81067.html


(2.) https://gmatclub.com/forum/no-very-sati ... 81770.html

the second one is much MUCH easier than the first one (latest OG edition), though both passages are of the same level.
But that's not how the GMAT works. The difficulty of a question is determined by the responses of actual test takers. So, if a very difficult question is introduced as an experimental question, it will get categorized as a very difficult question, because most people will not be able to solve that question correctly.

I'm oversimplifying the situation here, but the main point here remains that whenever a more difficult question is introduced, it is classified as such.


Makes perfect sense. Over a very long period, a greater percentage of students may start getting questions of a particular difficulty correct, making the tests difficult. Such changes happen gradually over several years, not in the duration between your mock and real GMAT.

Free your mind of these thoughts and focus on the prep- that is the right attitude in my humble opinion.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
Verbal part difficulty increased lately?   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2018, 17:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Verbal part difficulty increased lately?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne