It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 15:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waitlist Advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Waitlist Advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 01:01
I have been put on waitlist on a certain school. What can I do to show them my total love for them and what can i do to show them i have improved as an applicant since the time i applied?

any advice would be appreciated

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 165 [1], given: 0

Schools: Wharton
Re: Waitlist Advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 01:26
This post received
KUDOS
fooFighter wrote:
I have been put on waitlist on a certain school. What can I do to show them my total love for them and what can i do to show them i have improved as an applicant since the time i applied?

any advice would be appreciated

There's some good info in the knowledge vault:
123-t58801

Kudos [?]: 165 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 746 [1], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
Some schools do provide feedback while you are on the waitlist. You should email the adcom for info related to your application.

You can either:
1) Raise your GMAT
2) Visit school or info session again
3) Complete optional/additional comment/essay portion of the app and profess how you love the school, its culture, and your fit.

KEY MISTAKE - NOT DOING ANYTHING WHILE YOU ARE ON THE WAITLIST. Waiting helplessly is not a smart way to get yourself into the program. You did the hard work already. Now close the deal and be proactive.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [1], given: 548

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2008, 01:11
thanks for the info guys!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2008, 07:07
hi everyone,

posted the same message on another thread...but did not get a response...so here it goes again...

"thought i'll put my doubts out there...seems like u guys have been thru this before...
i am a re-app...last year got no love from any of the schools i applied to....not their fault...my app wasn't competitive enough... this year i have completely revamped the app from gmat to essays to recos...

Now the tough part..
1) got WL at Duke on 11/14---got dinged on 12/18 inspite of submitting an addnl reco. on 12/8
2) got WL at CMU on 12/19....don't wanna blow this..

have applied to cornell and UT already...
and am planning to apply to columbia and ross.. what is it that is hampering my candidacy at this point.... i just don't wanna take chances given CBS and ross are more competitive than duke or cmu....is it bad luck that i belong to the indian candidate pool in the toughest app year 2009...
mind you however, i do not belong to IT....i am in telecom...covering all domains of telecom...also have been a traveller all my life...unlike many others (i have had 20-22 official residences in 27 years now)
profile 27/m/740/good scores from not a great undergrad institute/3.76 GPA in MS from LSU/ECs and social service....and extensive travelling as i mentioned above....also played national squash...district level badminton and basketball....

any advice would be welcome....thanks to all in advance.."

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Johnson, Yale

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2008, 10:45
On paper you look solid. Thus there must be something wrong with your essays and how you're selling yourself.
Do you career goals match what the schools have to offer? Are you using the wrong tones in your essays?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 14

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2008, 13:10
Solid?! On the paper he looks terrific. :-D I have seen some great profiles, but he has very, very balanced mixture of professional accomplishments and extraculiculars.

tarunmalik,

There must be something really wrong in your applications when you don't receive admits from elite schools (and you should have received from at least one ultra-elite, too). Maybe you should think of hiring some professional consultant, I beleive he/she could do a miracle for you (and you don't even need a miracle but a good advice).

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2008, 16:47
hi pathfinder/2011mba,

do u guys think the following two things could be hurting me (honestly, i have no control over these rt now):

1) not going a top ranked undergrad institute
2) not having formal managerial exp ( ihave lead teams...just not formally)

i ask because of this yr being so competitive and on to top it all, the fact that i belong to the indian candidate pool....

thanks for ur advice....

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2008, 17:23
tarunmalik wrote:
hi pathfinder/2011mba,

do u guys think the following two things could be hurting me (honestly, i have no control over these rt now):

i ask because of this yr being so competitive and on to top it all, the fact that i belong to the indian candidate pool....

thanks for ur advice....

tarunmalik, neither of these things should hurt you as long as you have good stories to tell. i would agree that it's likely your essays / messaging needs to be refined.

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

GMAT Forum Moderator

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2008, 06:57
tarunmalik wrote:
hi pathfinder/2011mba,

thanks for ur advice....

Answer to both your questions - in a word NO.

But I think that major problem lies behind your 2nd question... Of course you haven't had some strict formal managerial experience, nobody here was CEO of Fortune 500 or president of the bank. But you have been leading various teams on some complex projects, right? That is the part of your resume that you should shed more light on.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Re: Waitlist Advice   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2008, 06:57

Waitlist Advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap