GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 13:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2019, 11:04
Hideto wrote:
strjd wrote:
R3 applicant and I've been waitlisted:-

700 GMAT (V44 Q42)
Start-up founder
Background in market finance
UK based

Thought I had done enough as my interviews went pretty well. Difficult situation for me planning wise but I guess I'm going to have to accept the situation. Do you guys think a GMAT retake would be worth it?

Hi strjd,

Sorry to hear that you have been waitlisted as well! It is definitely not the end of the road so stay optimistic and remain positive!

I refer to the following reply from INSEADadmissions: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-insead-a ... 2#p1449986

The INSEAD website also mentions the following:

“While we do not have a minimum score required for admission, we advise candidates to aim for a score at or above the 70th-75th percentile for both the quantitative and verbal sections of the GMAT. For the Integrated Reasoning section, we recommend achieving a score of 6 or above. Please keep in mind, however, that standardised tests are just one of several admissions criteria. A high score does not guarantee admission, and a below average score does not eliminate a candidate.”

Hence, retaking the GMAT and ramping up the Quant score might be useful in your case. Hope this helps!

Posted from my mobile device

I had actually preplanned another GMAT which I took this morning. Got another 700 but with a better quant score. I doubt this is relevant enough to give them as an update so I cancelled the score and have planned to retake in 2 weeks time. GMAT hasn't been kind to me, whenever I do well in 1 section, I run out of time in the other one. So infuriating. I'm going to try and go to the campus to meet them as well. I'll wait before I have positive news to give them before planning on visiting the campus. Do you think that's wise? So far, I have simply accepted my position on the waitlist with out sending any further emails.
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q168 V162
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 11:17
strjd wrote:
Hideto wrote:
strjd wrote:
R3 applicant and I've been waitlisted:-

700 GMAT (V44 Q42)
Start-up founder
Background in market finance
UK based

Thought I had done enough as my interviews went pretty well. Difficult situation for me planning wise but I guess I'm going to have to accept the situation. Do you guys think a GMAT retake would be worth it?

Hi strjd,

Sorry to hear that you have been waitlisted as well! It is definitely not the end of the road so stay optimistic and remain positive!

I refer to the following reply from INSEADadmissions: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-insead-a ... 2#p1449986

The INSEAD website also mentions the following:

“While we do not have a minimum score required for admission, we advise candidates to aim for a score at or above the 70th-75th percentile for both the quantitative and verbal sections of the GMAT. For the Integrated Reasoning section, we recommend achieving a score of 6 or above. Please keep in mind, however, that standardised tests are just one of several admissions criteria. A high score does not guarantee admission, and a below average score does not eliminate a candidate.”

Hence, retaking the GMAT and ramping up the Quant score might be useful in your case. Hope this helps!

I had actually preplanned another GMAT which I took this morning. Got another 700 but with a better quant score. I doubt this is relevant enough to give them as an update so I cancelled the score and have planned to retake in 2 weeks time. GMAT hasn't been kind to me, whenever I do well in 1 section, I run out of time in the other one. So infuriating. I'm going to try and go to the campus to meet them as well. I'll wait before I have positive news to give them before planning on visiting the campus. Do you think that's wise? So far, I have simply accepted my position on the waitlist with out sending any further emails.

I'd say don't wear yourself out with constant GMAT taking. Figure out which type of issues are tripping you up, work on them.
Then take the GMAT when your practice scores hit about 740

Also, plan for the next cycle's MBA applications and try to apply in round one to set of schools. From what I understand, waitlist acceptance is not very hopeful
INSEAD Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 04:48
Hi all,

I understand that there is some concern surrounding the fact that no one moved off the waitlist during R3 Decision Week. I would like to encourage everyone not to lose hope as a similar scenario occurred last year and while no one from 19J moved off the waitlist during R3 Decision Week, many waitlisted candidates received admittance emails/calls during R4 Interview Notification week.

We are now just 1 week away from R4 Interview Notification week and two weeks away from the deposit deadline for R3 candidates. Hence, it is very important to stay optimistic at this critical juncture and send in your update letters if you have not done so!

It is imperative that we keep our heads up and not get overwhelmed by the uncertainty. Even if the finish line might not seem obvious at this point of time, let us continue striving forward and stay hopeful that we will eventually make it to our desired end point as long as we continue believing in ourselves.

All the best everyone!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 04:52
Hideto, are you also on the waitlist? Which round did you apply? What's your background?
INSEAD Thread Master
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 05:02
strjd wrote:
Hideto, are you also on the waitlist? Which round did you apply? What's your background?

Hi strjd,

I was waitlisted in Round 2. My background is in Finance and I have 5 years of working experience.

As for your GMAT, I agree with rasithaw that it will be helpful for you to take a few weeks to study before retaking the GMAT again. The extra practice will help you gain a firmer grasp of the time required for each question and allow you to complete both sections in time during the actual exam.

All the best for your upcoming GMAT exam strjd!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 05:53
Where are you from? In what country is your work experience?

It seems to me that INSEAD are less interested in GMAT scores (once you have the required minimum) than most other schools. I have seen low end 600 scores getting in because they fit a certain profile. It seems to me that the admissions directors have been given a profile to seek and also perhaps one to avoid and certain people who are perhaps professionally and academically more impressive are being overlooked for "the profile".
I'm still going to retake the GMAT as there is no real downside but I don;t think it is going to play a huge part in being moved off of the waitlist. It seems to me that someone of your "profile" needs to drop out in order to be moved off.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.7
Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 07:36
strjd wrote:
Where are you from? In what country is your work experience?

It seems to me that INSEAD are less interested in GMAT scores (once you have the required minimum) than most other schools. I have seen low end 600 scores getting in because they fit a certain profile. It seems to me that the admissions directors have been given a profile to seek and also perhaps one to avoid and certain people who are perhaps professionally and academically more impressive are being overlooked for "the profile".
I'm still going to retake the GMAT as there is no real downside but I don;t think it is going to play a huge part in being moved off of the waitlist. It seems to me that someone of your "profile" needs to drop out in order to be moved off.

There is some extent of truth to what you mentioned especially at this stage, with only Round 4 left. Based on the 20J Class Directory at this point, INSEAD has likely filled some 90-95% of places of the Class.

Therefore, they are definitely either looking for very outstanding individuals with rather unique profiles that are currently still missing. Usually, waitlisters do have profiles that are very similar to someone already admitted to the Class. So it might depend on dropouts.

Yes, improving GMAT scores cannot hurt, and could be a meaningful update to the Adcom.

I still do think that there will be some people taken from the waitlist up to the very last moment because there will always be a few late stage dropouts.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 01:44
The waitlist this year does not seem to be moving? No one moved off since January? Anyone heard back from the school yet?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 03:50
Gamen wrote:
The waitlist this year does not seem to be moving? No one moved off since January? Anyone heard back from the school yet?

On ClearAdmit, I saw that someone got off the waitlist in late March.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 04:22
chickpig wrote:
Gamen wrote:

The records at ClearAdmit suggest that he was taken off the waitlist after being on it for only 2 weeks. Is that common?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 04:40
Gamen wrote:
chickpig wrote:
Gamen wrote:

The records at ClearAdmit suggest that he was taken off the waitlist after being on it for only 2 weeks. Is that common?

Not common but not impossible. INSEAD does tell waitlisters that a place in the Class may be offered at any point in time before the start of the programme.
INSEAD Thread Master
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 01:40
Gamen wrote:
chickpig wrote:
Gamen wrote:

Hi Gamen,

It is definitely possible considering that offers will be given to waitlisted candidates as long as a slot opens up and the applicant has a particular profile which INSEAD is looking for.

While it might be true that the 20J class is already about ~95% filled even before R4 decisions, the fact that we have not received a rejection email means that we are still under consideration by the Admissions Committee.

Let’s all keep our spirits up! Fingers crossed that some of us will receive good news in the coming weeks. Have a great Sunday ahead everyone!

Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q168 V162
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 08:04
Not to sound pessimistic, but I think it's best if everyone starts thinking of this year's 1st round for other schools (if there is no other admits for you already).

I feel that INSEAD's waitlist for 19Sep is not going to move much. Last year, by this time there had been several waitlist admits. It's best if we move on and start applications to other schools we didn't apply last year. By the time we have to submit our applications for round 1 for other schools, we'll anyway hear one way or the other from INSEAD.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 15:21
Actually there were a few people admitted from the waitlist mid-April, mid-May and in June last year, more so than in the previous month. So I reckon there will still be a few admits for this September’s intake.

INSEAD Thread Master
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 23:02
Alarin101 wrote:
Actually there were a few people admitted from the waitlist mid-April, mid-May and in June last year, more so than in the previous month. So I reckon there will still be a few admits for this September’s intake.

Hi Alarin101,

Yes, this is the trend that I noticed in the previous batches as well. However, one thing to note is that Mid April in 2018 coincided with the Round 4 interview invite week for 19J candidates. This meant that some of them moved off the waitlist right after the Admissions Committee have reviewed and shortlisted the Round 4 candidates for interviews.

Unfortunately, Round 4 interview invite week for 20J candidates has already come and gone. Hence, the next period to look out for would be early May during R4 decisions week. Once that is over, the next possible time would be June when they review the waitlist again as well as July when the 50+ k deposit is due. With 500 spots already taken up, that is the period when we will need admits to give up their deposits and relinquish their MBA spots in order to have a chance of getting in.

That being said, rasithaw’s honest and realistic assessment is a hard truth for all of us. While I am a INSEAD-er at heart, I still agree that a backup plan needs to be in place. This is to avoid the risk of ending up with nothing in the event that there is minimal movement on the waitlist.

All in all, I am still optimistic that some of us will move off the waitlist. My understanding is that there will always be people who forfeit their deposits in June/July or defer to the next intake due to personal circumstances. Hence, do keep your spirits up, send in your update letters if you have anything significant to update the Admissions Committee and hope for the best. Let’s all pray that we will get the +33 call in the coming months!

Have a great weekend everyone!
INSEAD Thread Master
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 19:51
Hi all,

Looking at the decision tracker, one of us has successfully made it out of the waitlist over the past two days. Congrats hughmungus1!
GMAT Club Bot
Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2019, 19:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap