GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Choosing the Right B-School

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

Which MBA program is right for me? How can I find the best fit? An experienced senior consultant from our partner MBA admissions consulting firm, mbaMission, will help prospective MBAs understand the differences that exist among top MBA programs.
  • GMAT vs GRE - Insider Insights and Tips to Help You Decide

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

12:00 PM EST

01:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school? Don't know which standardized test to take? Noodle Pros experts will discuss the nitty gritty of the GMAT vs GRE. Monday, Feb. 11th at 12 PM and 7 PM ET

Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  
INSEAD Thread Master
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 21:14
Hi all, setting this up for all waitlisted candidates for Class of 20J. Good luck everyone!

Resources for Waitlisted Applicants

Waitlist Guide
Waitlisted in round 2? Here's how you should proceed.
Waitlist Admissions Tips
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.36
Re: Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 00:19
Hi,

Were you given a reason for being placed on the waitlist?

Hideto wrote:
Hi all, setting this up for all waitlisted candidates for Class of 20J. Good luck everyone!

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.78

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 01:34
WL is the only reason given...
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 02:38
WL+1

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q168 V162
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 06:29
I don't think they give reasons. Do you guys wanna compare profiles?

Mine is;

Sri Lankan
GRE: 330 (~GMAT 740)
GPA: 3.74/4.2
Worked/Studied in: Sri Lanka, Singapore, France, Canada (current)
Extra Curr: Started a speech club, led a CSR project, Promoted within two years
Current Industry: IT Consulting
Target Industry: Mgt. Consulting
INSEAD Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 17:08
Hi all,

FYI, two R1 waitlisted candidates were offered a place during R2 decisions so let’s keep our heads up!

INSEAD Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 00:30
Hi everyone,

It has been a tough two weeks for all of us I am sure. Hope all of you are still doing fine!

Just a heads-up that the R2 deposits will be due in another two weeks so there might be some movement off the WL at the end of February. Let's keep each other updated on this thread and fingers crossed that all of us will get to hear some positive news from +33 soon!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 00:17
Just a suggestion/thought to the R2 Sep 2019 intake waitlisters at this juncture.

It might also be worth considering the R1 Jan 2020 intake, since the deadline is coming soon on 20 Feb. For some, perhaps getting considered at R1 stage might make a difference.

Have any of you tried asking your AO about being considered as part of the R1 Jan 2020 application pool?
INSEAD Thread Master
B
Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 00:44
chickpig wrote:
Just a suggestion/thought to the R2 Sep 2019 intake waitlisters at this juncture.

It might also be worth considering the R1 Jan 2020 intake, since the deadline is coming soon on 20 Feb. For some, perhaps getting considered at R1 stage might make a difference.

Have any of you tried asking your AO about being considered as part of the R1 Jan 2020 application pool?

Hi chickpig,

Thank you for chiming in. Good to hear from you and congratulations again for successfully making it out of the R1 waitlist!

I am extremely keen to be part of the September intake so I probably won’t be taking that option at the moment. I remain optimistic and still hold out hope that the +33 acceptance call will come through over the next few weeks / months.

It might be a plausible option for waitlisted candidates who are flexible on the course start date but as I am no expert on this, the gurus might be in a better position to advise on this. In my opinion, I think it might be a bit too early to do so since we only got the waitlist notification about two weeks ago.

Cheers!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 00:02
When do you think the R2 admits finalize their decisions/ deposits? Any idea?

I have been on the waitlist since November (R1). This wait is so painful.

So i updated my AO (twice) and asked her about the waitlist procedure (the first time). She told me that the reason for me being on the WL is not due to any shortcomings but rather due to the diversity requirements for the class structure. A decision can be made any time between now and beginning of the course. There's no WL number or queue.

Vague reply.

So based on this year's WL movement (which does not follow last year's trends AT ALL) i believe the most likely date of movement would be either deposit deadlines for R2 or decisions for the next round.

Any thoughts?
INSEAD Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 00:12
Santaborg wrote:
When do you think the R2 admits finalize their decisions/ deposits? Any idea?

I have been on the waitlist since November (R1). This wait is so painful.

So i updated my AO (twice) and asked her about the waitlist procedure (the first time). She told me that the reason for me being on the WL is not due to any shortcomings but rather due to the diversity requirements for the class structure. A decision can be made any time between now and beginning of the course. There's no WL number or queue.

Vague reply.

So based on this year's WL movement (which does not follow last year's trends AT ALL) i believe the most likely date of movement would be either deposit deadlines for R2 or decisions for the next round.

Any thoughts?

Hi Santaborg,

I have spoken with some of the R2 admits and I can confirm that the deposit deadlines for most R2 candidates are in End-Feb. I was initially expecting it to be this week since it has been 4 weeks since R2 Decisions.

I believe you are right to say that the most likely date of movement would be during the period of R2 deposit deadlines (End-Feb) or R3 Decisions (latest 15th March). 2 of the R1 waitlisted candidates heard back during R2 Decisions so stay optimistic Santaborg!
INSEAD Thread Master
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 01:01
Santaborg are you Asian or Indian by chance? In that case they really are hoping to achieve diversity and that means they will put you on hold, to see what else the rounds bring.

It doesn't seem very fair but they only have so many spots available for people from those ethnicities and together represent probably the majority of the application pool.

The quality of the experience you will receive there is determined by the diversity of the people in that class, if you were to walk into that class and it was only Asians and Indians then what they have to sell would be of lesser quality. And so for that reason they need to be extremely judicious and have a quota frankly on how many people of that type of profile they will allow.

What they are signaling is we like your profile but we'd like to date other people before making a commitment. And I would suggest to you that you continue to date other people as well LOL.

Put in other applications at other schools like HEC or other similar programs that have January batch intake so that you're not sitting waiting wringing your hands waiting for the phone to ring. Which is not a very empowering place and it's really unnecessary because creating options for yourself is the absolute best way to get through this. Worrying or pinning all hopes on one school will not get you accepted it's a fact.

Create options for yourself that will improve your bargaining position.

I do think that there's going to be some movement after the R2 deposit deadline comes up, they will reconvene at that point and take a look at who they have on the waitlist but I will tell you there's a good chance that you will have to keep waiting. It's likely they will accept people on the waitlist who are more diverse.

They meet every month make decisions, just continue to say that you are willing to have them keep you on the waitlist if that's your inclination.

Also please stop updating them. I recommend that people put together as one big update letter together with their strongest points and something that leads the whole memorandum that has some significance. That could be more International scope in your job, or work project that is very International or puts you in a position of leadership, a promotion, some type of test score changed, or additional leadership in your community service profile. Like becoming part of a board or something like that.

But if you update them with things that are not so material they will stop listening to you and just perceive you as someone who is desperate and has poor judgment. So please take that to heart.

Yes you can update them but if they are telling you to stop updating then it might be your updates are not adding value.

If you are overrepresented you might seriously consider doing some things that would separate you from your peer group.

So if you are Indian then we'll do some of the hobbies that you engage in that might separate you? Not Cricket LOL. something that might be interesting for your fellow colleagues. They want to make sure that your presence is going to be very enriching for those around you.

So consider what can you bring to the school that nobody else could? What is the perspective that you have that nobody else would have? What kind of background do you have that no one else does? This is how you rise to the top of the pack of people in your profile group.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 02:59
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Santaborg are you Asian or Indian by chance? In that case they really are hoping to achieve diversity and that means they will put you on hold, to see what else the rounds bring.

It doesn't seem very fair but they only have so many spots available for people from those ethnicities and together represent probably the majority of the application pool.

The quality of the experience you will receive there is determined by the diversity of the people in that class, if you were to walk into that class and it was only Asians and Indians then what they have to sell would be of lesser quality. And so for that reason they need to be extremely judicious and have a quota frankly on how many people of that type of profile they will allow.

What they are signaling is we like your profile but we'd like to date other people before making a commitment. And I would suggest to you that you continue to date other people as well LOL.

Put in other applications at other schools like HEC or other similar programs that have January batch intake so that you're not sitting waiting wringing your hands waiting for the phone to ring. Which is not a very empowering place and it's really unnecessary because creating options for yourself is the absolute best way to get through this. Worrying or pinning all hopes on one school will not get you accepted it's a fact.

I do think that there's going to be some movement after the R2 deposit deadline comes up, they will reconvene at that point and take a look at who they have on the waitlist but I will tell you there's a good chance that you will have to keep waiting. It's likely they will accept people on the waitlist who are more diverse.

They meet every month make decisions, just continue to say that you are willing to have them keep you on the waitlist if that's your inclination.

Also please stop updating them. I recommend that people put together as one big update letter together with their strongest points and something that leads the whole memorandum that has some significance. That could be more International scope in your job, or work project that is very International or puts you in a position of leadership, a promotion, some type of test score changed, or additional leadership in your community service profile. Like becoming part of a board or something like that.

But if you update them with things that are not so material they will stop listening to you and just perceive you as someone who is desperate and has poor judgment. So please take that to heart.

Yes you can update them but if they are telling you to stop updating then it might be your updates are not adding value.

If you are overrepresented you might seriously consider doing some things that would separate you from your peer group.

So if you are Indian then we'll do some of the hobbies that you engage in that might separate you? Not Cricket LOL. something that might be interesting for your fellow colleagues. They want to make sure that your presence is going to be very enriching for those around you.

So consider what can you bring to the school that nobody else could? What is the perspective that you have that nobody else would have? What kind of background do you have that no one else does? This is how you rise to the top of the pack of people in your profile group.

Loved the dating analogy.

Yes I am an Indian and i do happen to have a lot of extra curriculars that i have highlighted in my app. I hate Cricket. My work experience is pretty diverse when it comes to industries and international locations. My area of expertise is cyber security strategy. I know that my GMAT is sub-par at 720 but thats the most i can do.

I didnt bombard them with updates actually. Only sent 2. One in December and one last week. My first update was academic-related, a PG Diploma that i started while simultaneously working at my current job, and the other update was a reward i received for a recent development at an international client.

Thank you for your advice. I am thinking of applying to other schools that have January intake. Lets see how that goes :)
INSEAD Thread Master
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 03:11
Santaborg wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Loved the dating analogy.

Yes I am an Indian and i do happen to have a lot of extra curriculars that i have highlighted in my app. I hate Cricket. My work experience is pretty diverse when it comes to industries and international locations. My area of expertise is cyber security strategy. I know that my GMAT is sub-par at 720 but thats the most i can do.

I didnt bombard them with updates actually. Only sent 2. One in December and one last week. My first update was academic-related, a PG Diploma that i started while simultaneously working at my current job, and the other update was a reward i received for a recent development at an international client.

Thank you for your advice. I am thinking of applying to other schools that have January intake. Lets see how that goes :)
Okay so what's happening here is they like your profile but they want to see if they can find somebody who has an equal or better profile with also a more competitive test score.

Is that event I would honestly, you're going to hate to hear this but really consider trying to get your GMAT up....used to be a verbal tutor for 18 years I know the power of getting one-on-one help. In any area of your life if something isn't working you change what you do and this is no different

720 isn't the best you can do it's the best you have done, and I will be honest I think you need 20 extra points to be more competitive. Being waitlisted is often a strong hint to retake the GMAT.

Sounds like you have an interesting profile that would really be valued at other January batch schools. Obviously at HEC at 720 would be quite on the money with their average being 690. IE, IMD. I would recommend you put in your applications there within the next month to six weeks or so for January intake.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2019, 03:11

Waitlist for INSEAD MBA Sept 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Hideto, MBAPrepCoach

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap