Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 16:03 It is currently 08 May 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Weakness essay advise/Insead [#permalink]
Angrierbird wrote:
Hi everybody,
I was wondering if I could ask your opinion on "weakness" part of Insead essay. I have originally wrote an essay describing my problem with handling routine tasks. At the same time, I have highlighted "persistence" as one of my strengths (as largely outlined by my recommenders and close circle). Now I started to doubt if the weakness contradicts the strength and should I play safer by describing an ability to delegate as my weakness?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Angrierbird,

You need to make sure your strength and weaknesses are also in sync with the stories you are focusing on your other essays.

Take a look at this INSEAD Essay Analysis (To focus specifically on this question you could go to the 11:40 minute.)

Rgds,
Shree
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Weakness essay advise/Insead [#permalink]
Hi Angrierbird,

Think about it this way- I do not know how to fly a plane. Is that my weakness? NO! Absolutely not. So, stating that you are not from a quant background isn't a weakness from the perspective of what they are asking.

Inability to delegate is too broad. You can get more specific about what is it that you do when you delegate, and how you tend to micro-manage or whatever it is that makes it a weakness. The reader should be able to understand what actually goes wrong in your delegation. Also, show them the measures that you take to counter that weakness. Weakness is like a characteristic staring you in your face when a particular kind of incident happens. A countermeasure is a strategy that you have developed to get past it whenever that incident happens.

Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Okay, a strong no to using an ability disguised as a weakness.
Adcoms can see straight through it.
I liked your previous plan though, actually address a true weakness. You might need to think a little more and dig a little deeper but I’m sure you can come up with an authentic and genuine weakness to discuss in your essay.
You could even ask your close friends about the same. Your close ones be it friends or family will have candid expressions about what your weakness is. And considering that they are your well-wisher, it would be a weakness that can be grown out of.
You can use this as your starting point to write your weakness essay.
Another thing, the weakness essay question is for the admissions committees to evaluate whether you have a growth mindset or not. And acceptance of your flaw would be the first step to showcase that mindset. So be candid in your expression and take your time to come up with it.
GMAT Club Bot