It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wed, Nov 15: Open Admission Chat with MBA Expert of Applicant Lab

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3864 [0], given: 2465

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Wed, Nov 15: Open Admission Chat with MBA Expert of Applicant Lab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 07:42

Wed, Nov 15, 2017 - 9 AM PST/4 PM GMT - Ask Anything to MBA Experts in an Open Chat

Want to know which schools suit best to your profile and your post MBA aspirations? Want to learn strategies to craft a thoughtful and stand-out MBA application? Join us on Nov 15th with MBA experts of Applicant Lab in open MBA chat session. Experts will be in chat room between 9am - 11am PDT to answer your questions on MBA applications.

What is open MBA chat?

1. It's a 2 hour informal chat with MBA expert without any specific topic/agenda.

2. You can ask anything to experts: Chat platform is open for all types of questions. Applicants can discuss their queries/problems with MBA admission experts regarding school selection, applications, essays, recommendations, interviews, resumes, and all other parts of MBA application. You can even chat with experts on other topics e.g. Schools' admission policies, current admission trends, upcoming challenges in MBA industry, etc. You are also welcome to discuss profile related queries with experts.

3. No Chat Recording/No Transcript: We will not monitor the chat discussion, nor we will publish the chat transcript on forum, so applicants can freely discuss anything regarding their profiles, background, etc., with MBA experts.

Where?
GMAT Club Chat Room http://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

When?
Nov 15th, 2017. Time: 9am PDT / 5pm GMT / 10:30pm IST
Add this event to your Google calendar

See Full MBA Chat Schedule Here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-mba ... 41709.html
-

100+ Interview Debriefs from GMAT Club members

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Re: Wed, Nov 15: Open Admission Chat with MBA Expert of Applicant Lab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 08:46
We are starting the chat session in 10 minutes. Join us in the chat if you have any questions for MBA expert.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Narenn wrote:

Wed, Nov 15, 2017 - 9 AM PST/4 PM GMT - Ask Anything to MBA Experts in an Open Chat

Want to know which schools suit best to your profile and your post MBA aspirations? Want to learn strategies to craft a thoughtful and stand-out MBA application? Join us on Nov 15th with MBA experts of Applicant Lab in open MBA chat session. Experts will be in chat room between 9am - 11am PDT to answer your questions on MBA applications.

What is open MBA chat?

1. It's a 2 hour informal chat with MBA expert without any specific topic/agenda.

2. You can ask anything to experts: Chat platform is open for all types of questions. Applicants can discuss their queries/problems with MBA admission experts regarding school selection, applications, essays, recommendations, interviews, resumes, and all other parts of MBA application. You can even chat with experts on other topics e.g. Schools' admission policies, current admission trends, upcoming challenges in MBA industry, etc. You are also welcome to discuss profile related queries with experts.

3. No Chat Recording/No Transcript: We will not monitor the chat discussion, nor we will publish the chat transcript on forum, so applicants can freely discuss anything regarding their profiles, background, etc., with MBA experts.

Where?
GMAT Club Chat Room http://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

When?
Nov 15th, 2017. Time: 9am PDT / 5pm GMT / 10:30pm IST
Add this event to your Google calendar

See Full MBA Chat Schedule Here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-mba ... 41709.html
-

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Wed, Nov 15: Open Admission Chat with MBA Expert of Applicant Lab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 09:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Live from MBA Chat...

Q: Your thoughts on how some of the older applicants (8.5 yrs work Ex) best position themselves in the applications ? Are some schools strict on this above average work ex criteria in your view?
Maria: Older candidates face an uphill battle, since there are concerns that they are too "set in their ways", and also because the majority of post-MBA employers are looking for young, naive talent that is willing to work 100+ hr weeks and not complain, ha ha. :) My advice is to cast a wider net to find schools with older avg ages, and/or broader age ranges. In the application, state why you waited so long to apply (e.g. a relatively recent project that made you say: "AHA! I need an MBA!") and position your experience as a strength that can benefit your classmates....e.g. if you have managed difficult team situations, or helped guide the company’s path, then that is a plus that you can share with others in the cohort.

Q: Can I have a short-term goal to work for a company that doesn’t usually recruit from the B school I am targetting? Will I be at a disadvantage if I mentioned such a goal in my application?...What I basically want to know is that if B schools give preference to the employability of the candidate for their employment stats?
Maria: I do think this is a bit risky, since employment stats are so important in rankings, and also in alumni happiness. No school wants to graduate someone who’s going to complain about the school’s career services dept on message boards like this one. I would therefore present sort of a "Plan B", like "I will seek a role in ____ at a company that does X, such as [Company that recruits at school], or perhaps [smaller company that does not recruit at school." If it’s not a recruiting company, is there SOME link to the schoool? Perhaps Geographic location, or was it founded by the school’s alums? If not, then be prepared to devote space CLEARLY explaining HOW , *exactly*, you plan to get hired at that firm. Networking? Etc. The burden of proof is much higher on you in the application, since in real life you will need to do a lot more work to get that job

If you have any questions regarding MBA applicants, join us in the chat here... https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu Maria will be in the chat for next 1.5 hours

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 3864 [1], given: 2465

Re: Wed, Nov 15: Open Admission Chat with MBA Expert of Applicant Lab [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 09:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Live from MBA Chat...

Q: I am confused about the schools to apply to. How can one start on that?
Maria: So, for starting to find schools, I’ve got 3 steps that I advise. 1) If you’re from India, realize that the avg GMAT score for Indian candidates is about 30 points higher than for other regions. Therefore, if a school’s avg GMAT is 710, the unscientific / unofficial guideline you should be aiming for a 740. #2) Try to find your "Resume Twin" -- someone whose professional experience most closely matches yours, and see where they end up. If a school lets someone in from a company, say, Schlumberger, and those candidates go on to become great students, then the school is more confident about admitting people from that company. This blog post explains it more: http://blog.applicantlab.com/mba-admiss ... mine-odds/ #3) Reach out to current students. E.g. if the school in question has a South Asian students club, reach out to them and ask them if they think your profile is competitive! After all, THEY would have a strong sense of what the adcom is looking for! :) OH and tip #4! Make sure a school’s offerings truly match your goals. B-schools are verrrrrrrrrrrrrry different from each other. Don’t say that you’re super-excited about, say, Real Estate, and then apply to a school that only offers 1 real estate elective. Even if the AdCom people really like you as a person, they will think, "Well... we can’t help him? So? Why let him in, if he’ll just be disappointed?" <-- that would be a waste of time!

If you have any questions regarding MBA applicants, join us in the chat here... https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu Maria will be in the chat for 1 hour

Kudos [?]: 3864 [1], given: 2465

Re: Wed, Nov 15: Open Admission Chat with MBA Expert of Applicant Lab   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2017, 09:42

Wed, Nov 15: Open Admission Chat with MBA Expert of Applicant Lab

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap