GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 15:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wharton + 20k/yr vs Haas Full Tuition vs Yale Full Tuition

Update application status  

• 38% [14]
  • 58% [21]
  • 2% [1]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Wharton + 20k/yr vs Haas Full Tuition vs Yale Full Tuition  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Mar 2015, 04:33
Please Help. Opinions welcome

Function: I love operations strategy
Industry: I would be happy in either tech or finance or a combination of both(VC?)

Originally posted by TypingFox on 30 Mar 2015, 14:32.
Last edited by PTK on 31 Mar 2015, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
added function and industry
Intern
Intern
Re: Wharton + 20k/yr vs Haas Full Tuition vs Yale Full Tuition  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 14:36
What career path are you trying to pursue? All are great schools but they have different strengths.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 14:39
Bamboo09 wrote:
What career path are you trying to pursue? All are great schools but they have different strengths.

Industry: I would be happy in either tech or finance or a combination of both(VC?)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.58
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 15:29
A full ride at Haas is hard to pass up, but Wharton is going to give you a much better network in VC. Berkeley's consulting recruiting is also mediocre for MBB(they send more to Deloitte than MBB combined). They still do recruit there though, so you'll probably be fine if you really want it.

It all depends on how attached to the high status finance jobs you are.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 02:51
TypingFox wrote:
Bamboo09 wrote:

I voted Haas Full Tuition

Just a curiosity, are you a Round 1 Haas admit or did they offer you this scholarship in Round 2? I am asking because I know that they usually have an application for scholarship but I think they have not decided yet for Round 2 admits... on the other hand if you are a round 1 admit like me you have already paid the 2000 dollar deposit... I am on the same boat, I already paid the deposit, but I have other round 2 offers that got me into doubt...
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 04:42
TypingFox wrote:

If I were you, I would not expect much input from GC members for few important reasons
1) You have not provided any description of your professional experience, so it is difficult to comment and advice.
2) you have blurred career goal, I dont know how these top schools accepted you (really did they?). What does it mean operations strategy in finance?! VC is not about operations.
3) you are not serious, your post looks like you dont bother much about these choices (I have edited it to add function and industry), you look like a potential applicant considering different "what ifs" scenarious.

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 06:13
I voted Haas full ride. If you like Tech and VC, I can't think of a better place to be than in the Bay Area.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 08:29
PTK wrote:
TypingFox wrote:

If I were you, I would not expect much input from GC members for few important reasons
1) You have not provided any description of your professional experience, so it is difficult to comment and advice.
2) you have blurred career goal, I dont know how these top schools accepted you (really did they?). What does it mean operations strategy in finance?! VC is not about operations.
3) you are not serious, your post looks like you dont bother much about these choices (I have edited it to add function and industry), you look like a potential applicant considering different "what ifs" scenarious.

That is pretty harsh - especially from a forum moderator. Luckily I was being selected from the admissions committees and not you.
1) I like to maintain my anonymity. Going into my background would be a dead giveaway. I have very real qualifications that many schools acknowledged.
2) VC is exactly about operations. The invest and help build companies from just ideas to thriving companies. The best VCs all have operations and business development staff to guide their portfolio companies. VC today is very much tech heavy so this operations/finance/tech overlap is a very real need.
3) These are indeed real offers I am considering. People come here for help, advice, and opinions. Not for unsolicited judgement and doubt.
Board of Directors
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 11:46
TypingFox wrote:
PTK wrote:
TypingFox wrote:

That is pretty harsh - especially from a forum moderator. Luckily I was being selected from the admissions committees and not you.
1) I like to maintain my anonymity. Going into my background would be a dead giveaway. I have very real qualifications that many schools acknowledged.
2) VC is exactly about operations. The invest and help build companies from just ideas to thriving companies. The best VCs all have operations and business development staff to guide their portfolio companies. VC today is very much tech heavy so this operations/finance/tech overlap is a very real need.
3) These are indeed real offers I am considering. People come here for help, advice, and opinions. Not for unsolicited judgement and doubt.

I'm with PTK on this one. I want to be able to provide my input on this but without more information about where you're coming from and what you're hoping to get out of your bschool experience I'm sadly a little at a loss. If you want to know more about VC at Yale, PM me and I'm more than happy to connect you with some folks here who have had some great internships and full-time roles at VC firms. SOM also has a bunch of VC extracurriculars you can be apart of while you're here, so there's lots of options.

All in all, you can't make a bad choice here, and as I've said before, if you can please visit the schools for admitted students weekend and see where you feel you connect most with the school and the student body. These schools all have very different cultures and I know I only saw that when I was able to visit and to talk to students in-person.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Wharton + 20k/yr vs Haas Full Tuition vs Yale Full Tuition  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 14:01
TypingFox wrote:
PTK wrote:
TypingFox wrote:

I am sorry if I somehow offended you. It was not my intention. But the wording of your first post, which, before I edited it, was exactly "Please Help. Opinions welcome" does not allure users to share their opinions.
To repeat: I believe that in order to provide you some valuable "help, advice, and opinions" other people may need to know what is your background, preferences, career goals, preferences (west vs. east coast) etc. You may want to review other posts of guys asking them to help with school selection.
Therefore, without any background and alluring story it is just a blind voting based on rankings, amount of $ offered and one's own perception of what makes school A better than B. , which as I said before, would not add you much value.

p.s. I am acknowledging that I might be wrong with my 2).
Wharton + 20k/yr vs Haas Full Tuition vs Yale Full Tuition   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2015, 14:01

Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate