Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [7]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.49
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 609 [1]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: Wharton's Class 2023 Profile Posted: over 50% Women, 733 GMAT, 324 GRE [#permalink]
Kudos
I am hoping Wharton to be a trend setter. Most industries are moving towards Diversity e.g. BlueScope steel Australia made 40:40 vision. 40:40 stands for 40% women, 40% men and 20% any gender. A diverse workforce and inclusive culture are competitive advantages that lead to sustained business success and make a better place to work & study.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [2]
Send PM
Re: Wharton's Class 2023 Profile Posted: over 50% Women, 733 GMAT, 324 GRE [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sp24 wrote:
While there can certainly many points of view about politics and optics of such statistics, a hard data point caught my eye.
The one thing we all love to discuss here: the GMAT.

Class of '22
Average GMAT: 722
Median GMAT: 730

Class of '23
Average GMAT: 733
Median GMAT: 740 :shock:

While there are a number of factors which could have affected this (International deferrals from typically high-GMAT countries like India, China etc.), I'd love to know what some of the more seasoned members have to say about this.

Your explanation definitely could play a role. However, there may be another one (simpler and easier).
Wider acceptance of GRE scores... the Average GMAT was 733 while the average GRE was 324 (that's meaningless to me) but if you convert that to to GMAT, that's 670... so I feel that there was a group with really high GMAT scores and there was a group with low GMAT scores that decided to apply with GRE instead since they knew they had no chance with the GMAT scores....

Attachment:
gre-converter.png
gre-converter.png [ 38.89 KiB | Viewed 6134 times ]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
sp24 wrote:
While there can certainly many points of view about politics and optics of such statistics, a hard data point caught my eye.

Class of '22

Class of '23

While there are a number of factors which could have affected this (International deferrals from typically high-GMAT countries like India, China etc.), I'd love to know what some of the more seasoned members have to say about this.

Your explanation definitely could play a role. However, there may be another one (simpler and easier).
Wider acceptance of GRE scores... the Average GMAT was 733 while the average GRE was 324 (that's meaningless to me) but if you convert that to to GMAT, that's 670... so I feel that there was a group with really high GMAT scores and there was a group with low GMAT scores that decided to apply with GRE instead since they knew they had no chance with the GMAT scores....

Got it! That would be a far more plausible explanation bb.
But would that imply that as the proportion of applicants with GRE scores goes up, GMAT Medians at all schools would continue to climb?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
That's a good logical conclusion! :thumbsup:

There is a bit of arbitrage available right now with the GRE where even the top schools have a fairly low average.
Schools have long tried to balance brilliant applicants with test scores where sometimes the most intriguing and talented applicants had fairly low GMAT scores. In which case, programs had to sandbag these scores by recruiting high-scoring individuals with less stellar profiles. Currently GRE and test-optional policies allowing schools to have a loophole around GMAT scores for rankings by using the GRE. I think the system should balance itself out. One element I can see is that the GRE acceptance will continue to expand as it creates an impression that a mediocre GRE score can get you into Wharton (not really true) but it creates an impression of being able to get in a low score and not having as much of a barrier.

sp24 wrote:
bb wrote:
sp24 wrote:

Class of '22

Class of '23

But would that imply that as the proportion of applicants with GRE scores goes up, GMAT Medians at all schools would continue to climb?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Send PM
Very insightful bb. Although it does make me a bit insecure *wink* about the GMAT score I managed to get. But I feel these are a tricky few years to be applying to business school, where all predictions and handicapping go out of the window, as compared to the last few cycles (bar last one).

And I'm sure the schools definitely wouldn't mind the additional revenue from the application fees, which the kind of impressions you mentioned will definitely bolster.
Oh what I would't give to be a fly on the wall during these meetings at the schools.

bb wrote:
That's a good logical conclusion! :thumbsup:

There is a bit of arbitrage available right now with the GRE where even the top schools have a fairly low average.
Schools have long tried to balance brilliant applicants with test scores where sometimes the most intriguing and talented applicants had fairly low GMAT scores. In which case, programs had to sandbag these scores by recruiting high-scoring individuals with less stellar profiles. Currently GRE and test-optional policies allowing schools to have a loophole around GMAT scores for rankings by using the GRE. I think the system should balance itself out. One element I can see is that the GRE acceptance will continue to expand as it creates an impression that a mediocre GRE score can get you into Wharton (not really true) but it creates an impression of being able to get in a low score and not having as much of a barrier.

sp24 wrote:
bb wrote:

GMAT Club Bot