Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Pondered this a lot [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gaude wrote:
Dear Julie-

You ask very good questions re: What I hope to get out of an MBA. I have pondered this several different ways and it always boils down to two things

1) While I have operated and have a bunch of experience around building and running businesses, one area that I need to beef up on is financial economics. Being an engineer by training, I have learnt a variety of stuff from CFOs that I have worked with, but always feel that there some training that will help in this regard. Also, the MBA seems to be a good baseline platform and could aid in a Technology Entrepreneurship into Venture/Debt/Equity finance transition if I ever choose to do so.

2) Credibility and network: I have prolly been to around 150 venture/equity pitches for many rounds of fundraising. I notice first hand the bond that folks form by being from the same or comparable alma mater - the legendary "old boys network".

My current thinking is that I will have some clean exits out of my current business < 3 years. So, when I start B-School, I will be doing that fulltime and not working, but enjoying the B-school experience.

Linda - I am trying to debate on amount of time to spend beefing up the GMAT score up from this 680-700 range to north of that. Is it your sense that the benefit I will get from a 720-730 will only be marginally better than a 680-700 or it will make a decent difference?

Thanks much
-- Gaude

Clearly if finance is your area of greatest weakness than you should go for a program that is strong in finance or provides a general management education while allowing you a financial focus.

Coming from an Indian engineering background, yes I would say that a 720-730 would improve your chances over a 680-700. I can't say if the improvement is worth the additional time invested. I don't know how much more time it will take you and can't be certain that the difference in score will be critical in your admission, but go for the higher score.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Pondered this a lot [#permalink]