It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 02:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

WHAT HAPPEned

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: -21 [0], given: 56

Reviews Badge
WHAT HAPPEned [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 21:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
HI
yesterday gave my gmat got 630
v27 and quant 50
and was so frustrated to see that i cancelled the score there and then

it was a horrible experience in verbal couldn't apply any process ,ran out of time: couldn't finish the verbal section and wasn't confident about a single sc or rc question
even Poe wasn't working couldn't find a single decision point my weakest part RC felt easy but horrendous verbal the cr stems were easy but not the options stuck between 2 choices and running time made it worst and also sc was very different from the Og ,gmat prep or any other source got 3 sentence with subject verb inversion and was very difficult to comprehend
and result was i got a score lower than my diagnostic test v29

i had never scored a Q50 in mocks but to my surprise maths turned to be good i thought i was not doing maths well as i had 6 mins left by the time i reached the 37Q and last 4 questions were damn easy did in just 40 seconds per question.

please tell what happened and how to prepare for retake ???? i have 4 months to plan a retake

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3668 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: WHAT HAPPEned [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 22:30
Hi oishik2910,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 22:55
Thanks
Well for that

1)I have been studying for almost 4 months with one month intense prep focuses mainly on verbal

2)materials :nirvana sc,og guides,mgmat sc ,powerscore Cr bible,egmat live prep and various others

3)mock scores:
Diagnostic gmat prep :630 (v29 q47)
After a month and half with egmat
800 score :650 (v32and q48)
Gmat club test :680(v35 q48)
Veritas :(690(v35 q48)
800 score :620(v29 q49)
Gmat prep :720 (v40 q49)
Gmat club :700 (v35 q50)

3)my goal score is 690 -710
4)my plan is to join bschool next year ,if abroad doesn't work we have dead lines of Jan in India so before that I need to achieve that score

Posted from my mobile device

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 11:21
Hi oishik2910,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. From what you've described, you spend 1 month of 'intense' study, but there's some question about how consistent those prior months were. This is mean to say that you likely have not put in the necessary effort yet to score higher.

I have a few questions about how you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) each time?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you ever seen any of the questions BEFORE you took the CAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 11:30
Well
I gave every mock with ir and essay and tried to make them as much possible to the actual test and yes I found a repeat questions in quant generally while giving gmat club test but rest was all new I tackled them easily in verbal except tiger Beatles hardly any question ever repeated

SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 547 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2016, 02:40
I am sorry that the test day did not go as planned.
If we look at V27 in isolation, it shows a clear lack of understanding of fundamentals. But your mock CAT scores show other wise especially the GMAT Prep Scores.
Not completing the test attracts a huge penalty and can be attributed towards your low score. Did you face such timing issues in your mock CATs also?

1. Were you mentally or physically exhausted before the test?
2. Did you sleep properly the night before the test?
3. Did you take both breaks between the test?

Treat bygones as bygones and start a fresh. The first place to start would be take a mock CAT and prove it to yourself that the GMAT day was just an anomaly. Bring back that confidence by scoring high on the CAT. Post this, take out those books/course material that you have been following and go through the concepts again. You can improve a lot from V34 or 35 too. I would recommend you to take another 2 - 3 months to prepare and then give test. You can buy the Exam Pack 1 and 2 and the Question Pack 1 from mba.com for additional practice.

1. Did you complete the OG and the Verbal Review?
2. Did you prepare an error log?

Try to drill down deep in each problem type

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again

Since you have been following a book heavy approach, it might be beneficial if you change your mode of studying to score higher.You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.
Also, you can have a free trial hour with one of our expert teachers if you are interested in a tutoring class.
You can request for one here: http://www.optimus-prep.com/request-fre ... trial-hour

Kudos [?]: 547 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 15:43
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
I am sorry that the test day did not go as planned.
If we look at V27 in isolation, it shows a clear lack of understanding of fundamentals. But your mock CAT scores show other wise especially the GMAT Prep Scores.
Not completing the test attracts a huge penalty and can be attributed towards your low score. Did you face such timing issues in your mock CATs also?

1. Were you mentally or physically exhausted before the test?
2. Did you sleep properly the night before the test?
3. Did you take both breaks between the test?

Treat bygones as bygones and start a fresh. The first place to start would be take a mock CAT and prove it to yourself that the GMAT day was just an anomaly. Bring back that confidence by scoring high on the CAT. Post this, take out those books/course material that you have been following and go through the concepts again. You can improve a lot from V34 or 35 too. I would recommend you to take another 2 - 3 months to prepare and then give test. You can buy the Exam Pack 1 and 2 and the Question Pack 1 from mba.com for additional practice.

1. Did you complete the OG and the Verbal Review?
2. Did you prepare an error log?

Try to drill down deep in each problem type

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again

Since you have been following a book heavy approach, it might be beneficial if you change your mode of studying to score higher.You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.
Also, you can have a free trial hour with one of our expert teachers if you are interested in a tutoring class.
You can request for one here: http://www.optimus-prep.com/request-fre ... trial-hour

Can you please analyze my post https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-happene ... l#p1937460

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

Re: WHAT HAPPEned   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2017, 15:43

WHAT HAPPEned

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap