Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]
Is the answer to second question B
The first Question - I couldnt get an answer - Is it asking number or percentage
I think it is percentage ... is the answer D?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]
can somebody elaborate the answer to second question
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]
Expert Reply
HMC wrote:
The first Question - I couldnt get an answer - Is it asking number or percentage

I believe in Question 1. It is telling the %. And A should be the answer as we have a change of approx 9% from 1.00 to 1.50.

How did you get the answer to 2nd as B? I am getting the answer to 2nd as A.

We have almost 35% of the people below poverty threshold.

It implies 35% of Total = 3.5 million or Total -1 0 million.

Is the OA for 2nd mentioned correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
I would assume 'income below poverty threshold' to mean income<poverty=> income/poverty<1. At a ratio of 1 we have about ~9.8% population of 65 and older. So I took 9% as the value. so the total population=(3.5/9)*100~39mn
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
HMC wrote:

ShravyaAlladi wrote:
can somebody elaborate the answer to second question

Dear HMC & ShravyaAlladi,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The first thing I will say to gmatretest is that if you want to impress folks at business school, you need to be comfortable with basic economic terminology. The word "threshold" is used metaphorically to indicate the "line" where things begin. There is a certain annual income that defines the beginning of poverty--below that income is the legal definition of poverty, so the income exactly on that line is on the "poverty threshold."

Here's the second question:
11.2 If in 2010, 3.5 million people over the age of 65 had incomes below the poverty threshold in the United States, then the total number of people over the age of 65 in the United States was approximately ______________.
(A) 10 million
(B) 23 million
(C) 39 million
(D) 78 million

On the graph, we begin by looking at the lower line with the hollow squares, not the upper line with the solid square. This lower line is for people 65 and older. Someone with an income-to-poverty ratio of exactly 1 would be someone exactly on the poverty threshold. The dot gives the percentage for anyone at that ratio or below, so the dot for ratio = 1 gives the percentage of everyone below the poverty threshold---again, that's the legal definition of poverty. That dot is slightly below 10%, maybe close to 9%. We'll estimate 10%. If it were exactly 10%, and that equaled the 3.5 million people, there would be a total of 35 million people at the age of 65 or older. Actually, the percent is slightly lower than 10%, so we need a number slightly larger than 35 million. That's enough to isolate 39 million, (C), as the answer.

Once again, I want to stress something to everyone. If you are getting an MBA, if you are planning to devote your entire life to working in the business world, then the way you demonstrate your interest and aptitude is to learn as much about that world as possible. Read the WSJ. Read the Economist magazine. Read Bloomburg Businessweek. Read the business section of any newspaper. Get to know the terms. Get to know the issues. Make yourself as much of an expert in real world economical issues as you can. Knowledge is power. Do everything you can to acquire knowledge about the field in which you plan to spend your lives.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11178 posts