It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 24

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 03:01
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Was reviewing IR questions in Peterson's Master the GMAT 2015. IR Q11.2 in Practical Test 2 (pg. 461) does not make sense to me.

On what ground does the question assume the definition of poverty threshold?

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA and Explanation
11.1 A. Deduct 15% (ratio 1.00) from 25% (ratio 1.50).
11.2 C. Approximately 9% of people over the age of 65 had income below the poverty threshold. If there were 3.5 million such people, then you can find the total number of people over the age of 65.

Attachments

File comment: Question from the book, with the chart
DSC_1342.JPG
DSC_1342.JPG [ 2.28 MiB | Viewed 1136 times ]

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2015
Posts: 27

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 1

What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 03:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
gmatretest wrote:
Was reviewing IR questions in Peterson's Master the GMAT 2015. IR Q11.2 in Practical Test 2 (pg. 461) does not make sense to me.

On what ground does the question assume the definition of poverty threshold?

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA and Explanation
11.1 A. Deduct 15% (ratio 1.00) from 25% (ratio 1.50).
11.2 C. Approximately 9% of people over the age of 65 had income below the poverty threshold. If there were 3.5 million such people, then you can find the total number of people over the age of 65.


It says it right there in the question "the income-to-poverty ratio determines how close someone's income is to the poverty threshold". Income-to-property ratio is Income/Poverty. If it equals 1 then the person is at the poverty threshold, >1 above it, <1 below it. Imagine instead of "poverty" they used "average income" then the ratio is how close the person's income is to the average, and in this case the average income would be the threshold.

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 24

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 05:24
lamderson wrote:
gmatretest wrote:
Was reviewing IR questions in Peterson's Master the GMAT 2015. IR Q11.2 in Practical Test 2 (pg. 461) does not make sense to me.

On what ground does the question assume the definition of poverty threshold?

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA and Explanation
11.1 A. Deduct 15% (ratio 1.00) from 25% (ratio 1.50).
11.2 C. Approximately 9% of people over the age of 65 had income below the poverty threshold. If there were 3.5 million such people, then you can find the total number of people over the age of 65.


It says it right there in the question "the income-to-poverty ratio determines how close someone's income is to the poverty threshold". Income-to-property ratio is Income/Poverty. If it equals 1 then the person is at the poverty threshold, >1 above it, <1 below it. Imagine instead of "poverty" they used "average income" then the ratio is how close the person's income is to the average, and in this case the average income would the threshold.


Okay ... poverty threshold is the minimal income. Rare question which requires bringing in knowledge from outside.
Thanks for help.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 98

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Location: India
What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 01:28
Is the answer to second question B
The first Question - I couldnt get an answer - Is it asking number or percentage
I think it is percentage ... is the answer D?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2016
Posts: 49

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

Re: What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 10:04
can somebody elaborate the answer to second question

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2546

Kudos [?]: 803 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 01:30
HMC wrote:
Is the answer to second question B
The first Question - I couldnt get an answer - Is it asking number or percentage
I think it is percentage ... is the answer D?


I believe in Question 1. It is telling the %. And A should be the answer as we have a change of approx 9% from 1.00 to 1.50.

How did you get the answer to 2nd as B? I am getting the answer to 2nd as A.

We have almost 35% of the people below poverty threshold.

It implies 35% of Total = 3.5 million or Total -1 0 million.

Is the OA for 2nd mentioned correct?
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 803 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.97
Re: What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2016, 21:13
I would assume 'income below poverty threshold' to mean income<poverty=> income/poverty<1. At a ratio of 1 we have about ~9.8% population of 65 and older. So I took 9% as the value. so the total population=(3.5/9)*100~39mn

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4426

Kudos [?]: 8471 [0], given: 102

Re: What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 14:40
HMC wrote:
Is the answer to second question B
The first Question - I couldnt get an answer - Is it asking number or percentage
I think it is percentage ... is the answer D?

ShravyaAlladi wrote:
can somebody elaborate the answer to second question

Dear HMC & ShravyaAlladi,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The first thing I will say to gmatretest is that if you want to impress folks at business school, you need to be comfortable with basic economic terminology. The word "threshold" is used metaphorically to indicate the "line" where things begin. There is a certain annual income that defines the beginning of poverty--below that income is the legal definition of poverty, so the income exactly on that line is on the "poverty threshold."

Here's the second question:
11.2 If in 2010, 3.5 million people over the age of 65 had incomes below the poverty threshold in the United States, then the total number of people over the age of 65 in the United States was approximately ______________.
(A) 10 million
(B) 23 million
(C) 39 million
(D) 78 million


On the graph, we begin by looking at the lower line with the hollow squares, not the upper line with the solid square. This lower line is for people 65 and older. Someone with an income-to-poverty ratio of exactly 1 would be someone exactly on the poverty threshold. The dot gives the percentage for anyone at that ratio or below, so the dot for ratio = 1 gives the percentage of everyone below the poverty threshold---again, that's the legal definition of poverty. That dot is slightly below 10%, maybe close to 9%. We'll estimate 10%. If it were exactly 10%, and that equaled the 3.5 million people, there would be a total of 35 million people at the age of 65 or older. Actually, the percent is slightly lower than 10%, so we need a number slightly larger than 35 million. That's enough to isolate 39 million, (C), as the answer.

Once again, I want to stress something to everyone. If you are getting an MBA, if you are planning to devote your entire life to working in the business world, then the way you demonstrate your interest and aptitude is to learn as much about that world as possible. Read the WSJ. Read the Economist magazine. Read Bloomburg Businessweek. Read the business section of any newspaper. Get to know the terms. Get to know the issues. Make yourself as much of an expert in real world economical issues as you can. Knowledge is power. Do everything you can to acquire knowledge about the field in which you plan to spend your lives.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8471 [0], given: 102

Re: What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2016, 14:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is poverty threshold? Sounds like assumption from outside world

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.