GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the positive integer n?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
What is the positive integer n?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:38) correct 52% (01:46) wrong based on 367 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

(1) The sum of all of the positive factors of n that are less than n is equal to n
(2) n < 30

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610
GMAT ==> 730

Originally posted by enigma123 on 27 Jan 2012, 15:44.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Jun 2013, 03:15, edited 2 times in total.
Added the OA
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: What is n?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2012, 16:00
enigma123 wrote:
(1) The sum of all of the positive factors of n that are less than n is equal to n
(2) n < 30

For me its E. Can someone please help and let me know if its right or wrong?

It's quite time consuming question for those who are not familiar with perfect numbers: perfect number is a number which equals to the sum of its proper divisors (a positive divisor, which is different from the number itself).

There are 2 small perfect numbers: 6=1+2+3 and 28=1+2+4+7+14, (the next two are 496 and 8,128). So as you can see both 6 and 28 satisfy statement (1), as well as (2), hence the answer is E, for sure. Though if you don't KNOW this fact then you should manually break integers less than 30 into factors (less than this integer itself) and check whether their sum equals to it, which is quite tedious work. Of course some logic and common sense can simplify this work, for example you can exclude primes right away, but still I don't think that you'll see anything like this on the real test.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: What is the positive integer n? (1) The sum of all of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Thanks Bunuel. I will leave this question then.

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610
GMAT ==> 730

Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: What is the positive integer n?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 03:32
Awesome Question enigma123
Here We need the value of N
I did it by Test cases method
In Statement 1=> n can be 4 or 3 or anything else => Not suff
Statement 2 => Clearly insuff
Combining them N can be 2 or 3 or 4 => Not suff

SMASH THAT E

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 04:14
For those who are looking for multiple cases that can be formed. Please refer below solution.

There is no conceptual or formulaic approach for solving this question. One must simply try out various integers.

(2) INSUFFICIENT: We can start with the second statement first because it is clear that it is insufficient to solve the question what is value of the positive integer n?

(1) INSUFFICIENT: We must first understand what this statement is saying. If all of n's factors (other than n itself) are added up, they equal n.

We can begin our search by considering prime factors. By definition prime factors have only two factors, themselves and 1. It is impossible that the factors "other-than-the number" add up to the number for any prime number. Thus we can begin our search for such n's with the number 4.

4 does not equal 1 + 2
6 DOES EQUAL 1 + 2 + 3
9 does not equal 1 + 3
10 does not equal 1 + 2 + 5
12 does not equal 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 6
14 does not equal 1 + 2 + 7
15 does not equal 1 + 3 + 5

At this point we might be tempted to think that this is a property that is unique to 6 and is unlikely to come around again (i.e. that the answer is A). It would behoove us to keep searching though and to at least cover the range defined by the second statement (i.e. n < 30) . If we do that we see that this property repeats itself one other time in the remaining integers that are less than 30.
16 does not equal 1 + 2 + 4 + 8
18 does not equal 1 + 2 + 9
20 does not equal 1 + 2 + 4 + 5 + 10
21 does not equal 1 + 3 + 7
22 does not equal 1 + 2 + 11
24 does not equal 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 12
25 does not equal 1 + 5
26 does not equal 1 + 2 + 13
27 does not equal 1 + 3 + 9
28 DOES EQUAL 1 + 2 + 4 + 7 + 14

The correct answer is E.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 22:24
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: What is the positive integer n? &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 22:24

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap