Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 19 Jul 2019, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Ba

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Ba  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 May 2018, 08:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:55) correct 20% (01:13) wrong based on 399 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Batida is simply Cachaca or vodka to which has been added fruit juice and sugar.

A. to which has been added fruit juice and sugar.

B. and, in addition fruit juice and sugar are added

C. with fruit juice and sugar having been added

D. to which fruit juice and sugar have been added

E. added to which is fruit juice and sugar

Originally posted by Ekin4112 on 06 Apr 2010, 17:35.
Last edited by Bunuel on 17 May 2018, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Intern
Intern
Re: What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Ba  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2010, 21:06
Ans D.

D is more direct/active,and "fruit juice and sugar" need plural verb, 'have' , not 'has' .
Manager
Manager
Re: What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Ba  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2010, 01:31
Ekin4112 wrote:
What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Batida is simply Cachaca or vodka to which has been added fruit juice and sugar.

a) same
b) and, in addition fruit juice and sugar are added
c with fruit juice and sugar having been added
d) to which fruit juice and sugar have been added
e) added to which is fruit juice and sugar

Please explain your answer. Will post OA soon

Its D - Concise and active voice

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2010, 07:37
I am not convinced about "have been" in option (D) but other options are worst.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2010, 08:00
Can someone explain why B is not a good choice? Is there any other reason besides passive voice?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2010, 08:40
Oh I'm thinking C / E becuase the sentence should be in present tense? "have been" doesn't sound right to me.

I'd go for C because it doesn't involve any tense issue...

What's the OA?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2010, 08:46
Ekin4112 wrote:
Can someone explain why B is not a good choice? Is there any other reason besides passive voice?

To my knowledge, "in addition" is used in two forms:
1) ... and, in addition, ...
2) In addition to X, ...

Please correct.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2010, 02:16
definitely D.
B has many problems. AND and a comma afterward should not be used to introduce an independent clause.(I am not an authority, but I think so)

...a Batida is simply Cachaca or vodka and, in addition fruit juice and sugar are added.
It is a bit funny
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2010, 12:53
I am not very sure about the 'have been' in D. Doesn't that mean sugar and juice are still being added? OA pls.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jun 2010, 13:42
Hi Guys,

So here are the rules to remember about punctuating "and":

There are only 2 instances in which a comma is placed before 'and':

1) Independent clause ,and Independent clause
Ex. I eat fish, and he eats meat.

2) A List: a, b ,and c
Ex. I eat eggs, fish, and salad.

So can you figure out how to punctuate the following?

1) Joe and I cook and eat beans and rice and Sue and Bob cook soup and bake cakes.

2) I think that cows are nice and that dogs are mammals.

3) I think think that cows are nice and dogs are mammals.

How many different dishes do I eat according to the following sentence?

4)I eat beans and rice, steak and eggs, salad, and toast and jam.

If you can get the commas right in these sentences, then you're off to a good start with punctuation!

And can you now eliminate B with more confidence?

Originally posted by SaraiGMAT on 13 Jun 2010, 13:40.
Last edited by SaraiGMAT on 13 Jun 2010, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2010, 13:41
Note: In Europe, lists are punctuated without the comma before the last item.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 22:10

Dear experts,

I have three question regarding answer choice e).
1) According to the explanation in the book, e) is wrong because juice and sugar require plural form. Is plural verb the only problem? If we replace "is" with "are", do we make a correct sentence.

What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Batida is simply Cachaca or vodka added to which are fruit juice and sugar.

What I am concerned here is that in a relative clause, can we put the verb at the beginning like that - ...added to which..

2) When we put the preposition before relative pronoun - ...to which..., is a comma required (in both restrictive clause and non-restrictive clause)
3) Is it acceptable to use Present Perfect tense there in the correct answer - to which fruit juice and sugar have been added? Is this usage common?

Thank you
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 22:53
gomax1199 wrote:

Dear experts,

I have three question regarding answer choice e).
1) According to the explanation in the book, e) is wrong because juice and sugar require plural form. Is plural verb the only problem? If we replace "is" with "are", do we make a correct sentence.

What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Batida is simply Cachaca or vodka added to which are fruit juice and sugar.

What I am concerned here is that in a relative clause, can we put the verb at the beginning like that - ...added to which..

2) When we put the preposition before relative pronoun - ...to which..., is a comma required (in both restrictive clause and non-restrictive clause)
3) Is it acceptable to use Present Perfect tense there in the correct answer - to which fruit juice and sugar have been added? Is this usage common?

Thank you

1. Yes, it would be grammatically correct with a plural verb "are". However flipping the subject (fruit juice and sugar) and the verb (is added) is unnecessary. Moreover present perfect is better than simple present because of the reason stated in point 3 below.
2. Usage of comma follows the same rule for any modifier - Restrictive modifier does not require a comma, whereas a non-restrictive does.
3. Yes, present perfect is alright. The drink gets ready only after the mixing is done. Hence to depict that the the verb "to mix" occurs before the verb "is", present perfect is used.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 10:54
Simple question,
a) same ------------------------------------------------ Ambiguous. Does not give correct meaning.
b) and, in addition fruit juice and sugar are added--------usage of AND is not grammatically correct.
c with fruit juice and sugar having been added--------- passive voice
d) to which fruit juice and sugar have been added--- Correct sentence structure and meaning intact.
e) added to which is fruit juice and sugar--------------Incorrect.
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 08:37
d is the only contender and as well concise than any other choice

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 11:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Ba   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2019, 11:37

What many think is a fancy drink is actually very basic cocktail; a Ba

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics