Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2146 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: What Schools Should I Target?? [#permalink]
MSFHQ wrote:
My advice here will be similar to my advice elsewhere that I have given you. You have nearly a 4.0 at a well known school in the US with a lot of good, finance experience. I would apply to MIT, Vanderbilt, WUSTL, UT Austin, USC. You should get into a number of these programs. You are a very strong applicant.

Side note - focus on getting a job. The economy is strong, you have the grades and internships. Thinking about a MSF at this point is useless.

I am looking to break into Equity Research/IB. My thought process is to still apply come this August for full time roles. If I am unable to land something, then I will have the MsF to give me an extra year with a better school/an elite boutique internship to position me better. The MsF for me is to just help get my foot in the door somewhere. Not sure what ur take is on this.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
Send PM
Kudos
mtm131 wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
My advice here will be similar to my advice elsewhere that I have given you. You have nearly a 4.0 at a well known school in the US with a lot of good, finance experience. I would apply to MIT, Vanderbilt, WUSTL, UT Austin, USC. You should get into a number of these programs. You are a very strong applicant.

Side note - focus on getting a job. The economy is strong, you have the grades and internships. Thinking about a MSF at this point is useless.

I am looking to break into Equity Research/IB. My thought process is to still apply come this August for full time roles. If I am unable to land something, then I will have the MsF to give me an extra year with a better school/an elite boutique internship to position me better. The MsF for me is to just help get my foot in the door somewhere. Not sure what ur take is on this.

Nothing wrong with this - I'm from Europe, but I did the exact same. I applied to two roles that were definite reaches (Hedge Fund roles), and was rejected after six(?) rounds, down to the last couple in both cases. I had already kickstarted the MSF journey (sat the GMAT in November), and now have a clear idea of what I want to do going into my masters year. All the best man.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I am pursuing Bachelor of Commerce from Hindu College( one of the best colleges in the country). Cgpa is 8/10 ( will improve in my next semester.
10th-10 cgpa
12th-96.6%

Certifications- Cleared FRM( Financial risk Manager level1)
Will attempt CFA level 1 in December. Knowledge of German till A2.

Experience- Done a 4 month finance internship based on technical analysis( options, futures amd strategies)
Planning to do another two month internship in june/july.

GMAT- preparation in full flow. Will take the attempt in july. Targetting 720+

Extracurriculars- Founder/Manager of Traders for tomorrow club in college, conducted debates on trending topics- Bitcoin bubble, US-CHINA trade wars, organised cultural events.

Working on my social impact towards the society..

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey mtm131
You have a pretty good profile, so complementing the same with a competitive GMAT/GRE score will definitely open doors for a lot of the major schools for you. With a 680+, NYU, Duke, Maryland can be dream schools, Vanderbilt, EDHEC can be bucketed under competitive while Rochester can be more of a safe school. If you aim for a 720+ GMAT, add a certification like CFA to your profile you can target even better ranked schools.
Do you have any particular country in mind?
We could narrow down the schools further then on the basis of your country preferences.
For more details about about the best masters programs in different countries, the average class profile and average salary and placement statistics, you can check out this page: https://www.mim-essay.com/blog/masters-in-finance
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts