GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 16:27

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

What to make of these interesting GRE scores?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
What to make of these interesting GRE scores?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 02:29
Just wondering what your thoughts were on GRE scores of 160V and 170Q for admission to HBS?

Using the ETS conversion tool, this equates to a 750 GMAT - above Harvard's 730 median.

However, their GRE medians are 164V and 164Q, which, while only equating to a 710 GMAT, means my verbal score is below the median.

Is it worth re-sitting the GRE? (Final 3 official practice exam scores in the lead in to the real exam were 169V/169Q, 163V/169Q, 167V/166Q)

If it helps, my profile seems to be around average relative to those admitted on this site (3.75 GPA, late 20s, 5 years of work experience, 2 years running own business, some interesting extra-curriculars).
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: What to make of these interesting GRE scores?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 05:37
Hi cameroojames,

Thank you for your post. I would advise against sitting down for a retake of GRE. Your current score will not be the dealbreaker in your admissions. Instead, spend the remaining time (between now and application deadline) crafting your essay, ensure your recommenders have all the necessary tools to provide a strong LOR, perfect your resume, research the institutions, etc.. At this point, your time is much better spent on those details.

Feel free to reach out if you would like to continue the conversation. Our contact details are listed in the signature of this post.

Good luck!

cameroojames wrote:
Just wondering what your thoughts were on GRE scores of 160V and 170Q for admission to HBS?

Using the ETS conversion tool, this equates to a 750 GMAT - above Harvard's 730 median.

However, their GRE medians are 164V and 164Q, which, while only equating to a 710 GMAT, means my verbal score is below the median.

Is it worth re-sitting the GRE? (Final 3 official practice exam scores in the lead in to the real exam were 169V/169Q, 163V/169Q, 167V/166Q)

If it helps, my profile seems to be around average relative to those admitted on this site (3.75 GPA, late 20s, 5 years of work experience, 2 years running own business, some interesting extra-curriculars).

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: What to make of these interesting GRE scores?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 03:28
cameroojames wrote:

Hi cameroojames here is the thing. THOSE ADMITTED WITH GRE are usually underrepresented or offer the school some kind of diversity. For a very long time, schools were not pressured or required to report the average GRE scores for admitted applicants. It was a bit of a wild card; a way to scoop up diverse applicants who might otherwise mess up your stats. SO that said, it is my firm belief this is why the average GRE score is SO MUCH LOWER than the average GMAT score.

My question would be, are you able to offer some kind of diversity in terms of ethnicity, citizenship, unique background, etc? If not, just to manage expectations here, you might need a higher test score. I don't have a crystal ball and don't mean to discourage you but it's is what I experience with my candidates. I worked with a French applicant who is underrepresented and he had a lower GRE than my British/American applicant but got into Wharton...the other client is at CBS.

All of this said, try to think about this process about showing what is special and unique about you more so than meeting or beating certain criteria. It might be a better use of your time to articulate why you are absolutely unrepeatable and irreplaceable more so than chase down a test score, where you might end up burning your precious time. Diversity the schools you apply to; maybe get in on EA and sign up for self-initiated interviews to increase your odds.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: What to make of these interesting GRE scores? &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jul 2018, 03:28

What to make of these interesting GRE scores?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap