Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [16]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: What would be required for successful direct protection of human right [#permalink]
Kudos
Don't you think it's is useless to study material where you don't know for sure the correct answer? I mean what can you really learn from it. I think those kind of passages should be deleted after a while.

Spending time on stuff like this is a little frustrating.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: What would be required for successful direct protection of human right [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Here are my answers and my reasoning:

1. According to various points made by the author of the passage, all of the following are ways in which the UN can exert influence over human rights EXCEPT:
B. by enforcing a UN command to cease any behaviour that does not adhere to UN standards.
This choice used too strong words and did not mention in the passage. 4 remaining answer choices were both mentioned in the passage.

2. The passage suggests that the author would most likely agree with which of the following statements?
C. International policies can be influenced by UN activities and proclamations.
"the entirety of UN human rights activity is to dispense or withhold a stamp of legitimacy on member states according to their human rights record." & "Other courts in the U.S. have also used United Nations instruments and activities as part of their decisions, and other states beyond the U.S. show some influence from UN instruments in their legal and administrative decisions."

3. The author mentions the case of Filartiga v. Peña Irala primarily in order to:
A. describe United Nations human rights activity that led to direct protection by an actor.
"directly change specific behaviour and must lead to direct protection by some actor. In a few situations this linkage can already be demonstrated. In the case of Filartiga v. Peña Irala in the United States"

4. Regardless of what the rest of the passage might be arguing, the author‘s principal concern in the first paragraph is most likely to:
C. explain the UN‘s function in the field of human rights by giving examples.
D. describe the major activity of the UN in the field of human rights
I'm confused between two choices, and I think D is the best choice since it covered nearly all of relevant factors.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2220 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Hi workout

please reformat the passage and add the Timers and OA's

Source for this passage is Aristotle

According to the RC99 PDF, OA's are 1.B 2.D 3.A 4.B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
The passage summary:
1) Question the role of UN in HR field
2) Provide two UN's potential roles in this field
3) Give real life examples that show the results the the two roles brought about

1. According to various points made by the author of the passage, all of the following are ways in which the UN can exert influence over human rights EXCEPT:
A. by persuading member states to change certain laws to avoid human rights violations. "to socialize or educate actors into changing their views and policies on human rights"
B. by enforcing a UN command to cease any behaviour that does not adhere to UN standards. The ability to enforce such a command? <...> No United Nations human rights body has such authority and power. - correct
C. by recognizing certain countries based on their human rights record. "to dispense or withhold a stamp of legitimacy on member states according to their human rights record."
D. by affecting the legal and political policies of member states. a federal court held torture to be prohibited by customary international law, using United Nations instruments and actions as part of its reasoning. ―Once a tort can be considered to be in violation of the law of nations, Sec. 1350 allows immediate access to a federal court.… It is now generally accepted by the United States and the vast majority of other member nations of the United Nations that gross violations of human rights are, as a matter of international law, a legitimate concern of the world community.
E. by providing a stamp of legitimacy to some member countries "to dispense or withhold a stamp of legitimacy on member states according to their human rights record."

2. The passage suggests that the author would most likely agree with which of the following statements?
A. The UN has done little to affect the protection and establishment of human rights. the last para proves otherwise
B. Human rights violations should be the primary concern of the UN. the author doesn't say that it's not either
C. International policies can be influenced by UN activities and proclamations. rather members states can be influenced
D. Future human rights court cases may turn to UN policies for assistance. the idea found in para 3
E. The UN needs to be given military powers

3. The author mentions the case of Filartiga v. Peña Irala primarily in order to:
A. describe United Nations human rights activity that led to direct protection by an actor. correct: the case basically illustrates that socialization and manipulation of legitimacy can change specific behaviour and lead to direct protection by some actor
B. demonstrate the dangers of the UN‘s concentration on long-term effects.
C. provide evidence that torture is prohibited by international law. the example of torturous case itself serves as evidence to a greater point
D. cite a case in which the UN withheld legitimacy from a target state. the other way around: the US availed itself of UN's instruments
E. cite a case wherein UN intervention proved futile

4. Regardless of what the rest of the passage might be arguing, the author‘s principal concern in the first paragraph is most likely to:
A. propose changes that would increase UN effectiveness in enforcing human rights. there are no propositions even mentioned in 1st para
B. indicate indirectly the shortfalls of UN human rights activity concerned with short-term change. I find this question a bit misleading because this answer choice combines some knowledge that one can find in para 2, i.e. that the UN's goals are long-term orientated. One can infer from para 1 that the UN is fairly powerless in exerting its power over members states. The question claims "regardless of what the rest of the passage might be arguing". So considering the para 1 in isolation, I couldn't come up with something that would address a short-term change
C. explain the UN‘s function in the field of human rights by giving examples. 1st para says that the UN has no authority to directly affect perpetrators of HR
D. describe the major activity of the UN in the field of human rights the opposite is true because the UN has none of the cited powers
E. to praise the policies of the United Nations
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Kudos