Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: ISB '25 (A)
Send PM
Re: When adjusted for body weight, children of various age groups in the [#permalink]
When adjusted for body weight( Verb-ed modifier modifying Children), children( Main Subject) of various age groups( Prepositional Phrase modifying Children) in the United States( Prepositional Phrase modifying Children ) have ( Main Verb) a caffeine intake that( starting of DC, that is the subject of the DC referring to Caffeine intake) ranges( DC Verb) from 36 to 58 percent of the average amount consumed by adults.

(A) children of various age groups in the United States have a caffeine intake that ranges from 36 to 58 per cent of the average amount consumed by adults ( Verb-ed modifier adjusted is wrongly modifying Children. So meaning distortion)

(B) the caffeine intake of children of various age groups in the United States ranges from 36 to 58 percent of the average amount consumed by adults ( Correct )

(C) various age groups of children in the United States range in caffeine intake from 36 to 58 percent of that consumed by the average adult

1) adjusted is wrongly modifying various age groups

2) SV agreement does not make sense ( age groups range in caffeine intake )

3)“Amount consumed by the average adult” makes less sense than “average amount consumed by adults”

(D) in the United States, children of various age groups have a caffeine intake that ranges from 36 to 58 percent of the average adult’s consumption

1) The placement of "in the united states is wrong (The entity to be modified should follow right after the initial modifier (unless we have a list of parallel modifiers at the beginning).

2) Error of option A

(E) in the United States, the caffeine intake of children in various age groups ranges from 36 to 58 per cent of that consumed by the average adult

1) First error of option D

2)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
When adjusted for body weight, children of various age groups in the [#permalink]
Hi DmitryFarber RonTargetTestPrep zhanbo sayantanc2k avigutman DmitryFarber AnishPassi ReedArnoldMPREP - I keep reading that the initial modifier CANNOT modify "Children" ?

I fail to see why not

Why cant children themselves be adjusted for body weight ?

• Women vs Men are adjusted for body weight all the time (This happens all the time by Nutritionists ,prescribing how much to eat in order to lose weight)
  • This article here is adjusting body weight of ants vs humans Article here
  • In fact the above article says, Ants can carry more weight than humans can carry [Once Ants are adjusted by their body weight]

Furtheremore, below is a screenshot for exmaple regarding how men vs women are adjusted by body weight by nutritionists.

So , I thought the same idea must be happening.

Children once adjusted for body weight , drink as much coffee as adults drink

Counter point -- what is more likely to be "Adjusted for body weigiht" -- the children OR the caffeine intake ?

Frankly, i thought "Children" made more sense to be adjusted for body weight

"Caffeine intake" did not make much sense to be adjusted for body weight - I have never heard of intangible objects being adjusted for body weight

For example
  • If we say -- When adjusted by body weight, amount of meat eaten by lions IS LESS compared to amount of meat eaten by humans
  • What exactlly is being adjusted for body weight ? Its not the amount of meat. That doesnt make sense. -- it is the weight/height of the lion vs the weight/height of the human being that is being adjusted by body weight
  • The weights of the meat itselves are not being compared

Simirlarly, - i thought -- the weight / height of children vs weight / height of adults are being adjusted -- thus "Children" are being adjusted by body weight.

i chose (A) over (B)

Source of screenshot: Link here
Attachments

Screenshot .jpg
Screenshot .jpg [ 69.83 KiB | Viewed 862 times ]

Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Re: When adjusted for body weight, children of various age groups in the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi DmitryFarber RonTargetTestPrep zhanbo sayantanc2k avigutman DmitryFarber AnishPassi ReedArnoldMPREP - I keep reading that the initial modifier CANNOT modify "Children" ?

I fail to see why not

Why cant children themselves be adjusted for body weight ?

• Women vs Men are adjusted for body weight all the time (This happens all the time by Nutritionists ,prescribing how much to eat in order to lose weight)
  • This article here is adjusting body weight of ants vs humans Article here
  • In fact the above article says, Ants can carry more weight than humans can carry [Once Ants are adjusted by their body weight]

Furtheremore, below is a screenshot for exmaple regarding how men vs women are adjusted by body weight by nutritionists.

So , I thought the same idea must be happening.

Children once adjusted for body weight , drink as much coffee as adults drink

Counter point -- what is more likely to be "Adjusted for body weigiht" -- the children OR the caffeine intake ?

Frankly, i thought "Children" made more sense to be adjusted for body weight

"Caffeine intake" did not make much sense to be adjusted for body weight - I have never heard of intangible objects being adjusted for body weight

For example
  • If we say -- When adjusted by body weight, amount of meat eaten by lions IS LESS compared to amount of meat eaten by humans
  • What exactlly is being adjusted for body weight ? Its not the amount of meat. That doesnt make sense. -- it is the weight/height of the lion vs the weight/height of the human being that is being adjusted by body weight
  • The weights of the meat itselves are not being compared

Simirlarly, - i thought -- the weight / height of children vs weight / height of adults are being adjusted -- thus "Children" are being adjusted by body weight.

i chose (A) over (B)

Source of screenshot: Link here

There's a lot here. I think I'll just look at this one point:

Quote:
What exactlly is being adjusted for body weight ? Its not the amount of meat. That doesnt make sense. -- it is the weight/height of the lion vs the weight/height of the human being that is being adjusted by body weight

I think the amount of meat is what is adjusted for body weight, not the weight of the lion or the weight of the human being.

The lion itself certainly isn't. The human certainly isn't. You would really—to be as precise as possible—need to specify that the height/weight of the lion/human is being adjusted.

The sentences here only ever offer "children" or "groups of children" to be adjusted for body weight. You're probably right, that in 'The Real World,' such a sentence as "When adjusted for body weight, men and women eat the same amount of meat" would be okay.

What a sentence really should say is:

"Men and women eat the same amount of meat, when adjusted for body weight."

Meaning:

"Men and women eat the same amount of meat, when [the amount of meat] is adjusted for [the] body weight [of men and women]."

This seems like one of those times where common-parlance uses a construction that, looked at under stricter rules, does not imply the meaning the sentence is clearly going for. As I'm sure you've seen, many respected written publications will allow the word 'which' to refer to a *clause* rather than a noun, **which is** what makes it so hard to spot the error on the GMAT.
VP
VP
Send PM
When adjusted for body weight, children of various age groups in the [#permalink]
Thanks ReedArnoldMPREP - if i understand, this is what you mean :

Lets say
Men weigh 100 kgs on average whereas women weigh 50 kgs on average
Men drink 2.5 litres of milk daily whereas women drink 2 litre of milk daily

When scientists say : Men drink less milk compared to women when adjusted for body weight

What is the scientist ‘adjusting’ exactly?

(I) The scientist is first adjusting/changing body weight of women (50 kgs) to the body weight of men (100 kgs) - i.e. double
And/Then
(II) The scientist is adjusting/changing the amount of milk drunk by women (currently 2 litres) to double ( 4 litres, which is 100 % more) and then comparing 4 litres to 2.5 litres?

I think the scientist is probably doing BOTH actions when adjusting for body weight

Would you agree?
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

Lets say

When scientists say : Men drink less milk compared to women when adjusted for body weight

(I) The scientist is first adjusting/changing body weight of women (50 kgs) to the body weight of men (100 kgs) - i.e. double
And/Then
(II) The scientist is adjusting/changing the amount of milk drunk by women (currently 2 litres) to double ( 4 litres, which is 100 % more) and then comparing 4 litres to 2.5 litres?

I think the scientist is probably doing BOTH actions when adjusting for body weight

Would you agree?

I don't know. We're in the weeds on a super minor issue that has a one in ten thousand chance of actually showing up on the test. But it seems to me that what gets adjusted is the **amount** of milk drunk, according to the body weight of men and women. What does not get adjusted are the people themselves.

The scientist is saying, I think, "If we adjust the amount of milk drunk in proportion to body weight--that is if we scale the weight of women up to the weight of men, and then scale the amount of milk down by the same factor..." So the body weight ratio determines the factor, and the amount of milk drunk is **adjusted** according to that factor. The body weight doesn't 'adjust,' it determines how the 'amount of milk' is adjusted.
VP
VP
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

Lets say

And/Then

Would you agree?

I don't know. We're in the weeds on a super minor issue that has a one in ten thousand chance of actually showing up on the test. But it seems to me that what gets adjusted is the **amount** of milk drunk, according to the body weight of men and women. What does not get adjusted are the people themselves.

The scientist is saying, I think, "If we adjust the amount of milk drunk in proportion to body weight--that is if we scale the weight of women up to the weight of men, and then scale the amount of milk down by the same factor..." So the body weight ratio determines the factor, and the amount of milk drunk is **adjusted** according to that factor. The body weight doesn't 'adjust,' it determines how the 'amount of milk' is adjusted.

Thanks so much ReedArnoldMPREP – I agree that the specifics wont be tested on the exam

Going back to the original question – would you agree this question COULD BE MUCH harder if after the initial modifer - you had “children’s weight” ?

Children's weight COULD certainly be adjusted for body weight

Thank you
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

Lets say

And/Then

Would you agree?

Thanks so much ReedArnoldMPREP – I agree that the specifics wont be tested on the exam

Going back to the original question – would you agree this question COULD BE MUCH harder if after the initial modifer - you had “children’s weight” ?

Children's weight COULD certainly be adjusted for body weight

Thank you

No, I don't think it makes sense to adjust children's weight for body weight. It kind of seems like that, because it's like "Aren't we adjusting their weight so that they weigh the same?" But that's not the goal. The goal is not to adjust their weight so that they weigh the same... The goal is to adjust the amount of milk they drink *as if* they weigh the same.

Mathematically, what we're trying to express is.

Children weight : Adult weight = 2 : 3

Children Milk : Adult Milk = 8 : 5

Children Milk (weight adjusted) : Adult milk (weight adjusted) = 12 : 5

We use the 'weight' ratio to determine how we ADJUST the 'milk' ratio. Yes, this "The ratio of milk drunk if the ratio of weight was 1:1," so it feels like you're adjusting the 'weight' ratio to be 1:1, but really, you're using that scalar to adjust the milk drunk ratio, because the ratio we're actually trying to compare.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
egmat MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja Can you please explain why option a) is wrong. I don't get it why cant 'when adjusted for body weight' modify 'children'.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
NakulDiwakar10 wrote:
Can you please explain why option a) is wrong. I don't get it why cant 'when adjusted for body weight' modify 'children'.

Hi Nakul.

Let's take a look at the (A) version:

When adjusted for body weight, children of various age groups ... have a caffeine intake that ranges from 36 to 58 percent of the average amount consumed by adults.

That version suggests that, when the children themselves are adjusted, their caffeine intake ranges from 36 to 58 percent of the average amount consumed by adults.

See the issue? Would the children be adjusted? How? Do children have adjustment screws that we could turn? No.

So, the meaning conveyed by that version is illogical since the children themselves would not be adjusted. Something else has to be adjusted for body weight, perhaps a number, such as the number that represents the quantity of caffeine they consume.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts